Asteroid could hit earth...

Pages: 1
Karagin
07/24/02 12:38 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
BBC Science Report
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ErichRaulfestone
07/24/02 02:47 PM

Well, to be quite honest, If it takes out a continent, AND changes the climate, many will die. If I do, well I guees it was my time to go. So I personally will not worry. But thanks for the info.
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
CrayModerator
07/24/02 03:15 PM

I should start selling umbrellas or...what was it in 1910 with Halley's comet..."asteroid anti-poison pills, guaranteed to keep you safe from the toxic fumes of the asteroid when it burns in Earth's atmosphere."

Definitely going to have to take payments in gold or ammunition, though. Credit card payments might not be worth much if it hits. (Which is, of course, a low probability, because NASA said so.)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Khan_Robinette
07/24/02 04:04 PM

Ok first things first...

1. We're gonna have a bake sale to raise money, but no oatmeal raisin cookies cuz I always have to take the things home..
2. We're gonna fly out to an oil rig and hire Bruce Willis the best deep core oil drill in my ass (if you have the DVD with the gag reel, you'll get that)
3. Hire Angelina Jolie, let her replace Billy Bob in the movie, believe me, we'll get better ratings with her around and at least I will be happy when the asteroid hits
4: We send up 2 shuttle teams, blow up a whole bunch of space junk in the process. lose a shuttle and then make sure that the whole lot of them cannot come back so I get the girl in the end :P
5. Have another bake sale to make money for my wedding
6. Whoops forgot to name it.....
7. Name it lonetta, those of you who know me will know the reason, once again another Armageddon thingy.
Did I leave anything out?
8. Oh yeah...bake sale...
"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
Nightward
07/24/02 04:55 PM

Yes, and in seventeen years I could spontaneously combust, causing an explosion of a magnitude heretofore unimagined.

Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
SoyBigHead
07/24/02 05:06 PM

ooh a POSITIVE threat of 0.06!! Doesnt that mean it has a 6/100 chance of intersecting the earth? (or rather, a 6% chance?) that is a large chance i guess for a near-earth object, but i take comfort in the fact that there is a 94/100 chance it wont hit
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
ErichRaulfestone
07/24/02 06:38 PM

HEAR HEAR !!!!!
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
Bob_Richter
07/24/02 10:44 PM

...life sucks anyway, and I don't care.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
NathanKell
07/24/02 10:46 PM

That's not slightly morbid...and rather disrespectful of those who *do* care...
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Greyslayer
07/25/02 01:08 AM

Hmmmmm, I guess I better start building my 'in case of asteriod' bunker then eh? Being from Australia though unless it hits directly you would be unlucky to die from the impact unless from tsumani as the continent is on one huge tectonic plate that doesn't cross the land mass (there are several smaller ones though). Those in california would be kissing their backsides goodbye almost regardless of where the sucker hit.

Greyslayer ... needs a bigger shovel
Spartan
07/25/02 01:39 AM

I kinda like one of my coworkers response when I was telling them about it: "Hmmmmm, I'll be 86... I don't give a $#!%"

(Disclaimer: Nathan, this is not meant to be disrespectful to those who do give a $#!%)
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
NathanKell
07/25/02 02:18 AM

Eh, I was just being snippy...

And more in response to the "Life sucks" bit than anything else, really.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Spartan
07/25/02 10:30 AM

"Eh, I was just being snippy... "

That's okay I was just being a smart@$$, with my disclaimer.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
SSFSX17
07/25/02 02:26 PM

What's up with people and being afraid that an asteroid will hit?
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
DireWolf
08/01/02 02:12 PM

That same verse you use in your signature is the same one used in the motto for the IDF's paratroopers brigade....
-Lt. Lev (Res. Inf.) "Dire Wolf" Arris, IDF.

"What is it like fighting the Wolf ? Imagine a lightning with legs, an earthquake with arms, a catastrophe with genius or just pure hell on wheels".
MacLeod
08/03/02 10:01 PM

Lessee... I'm fourteen now... so in 2019 I'm gonna be 31...

Okay, I don't really care, I'm gonna have gotten laid and gotten out of college by then. Of course, I would get mad if I hadn't released an album by then...
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6859

Contact Admins Sarna.net