Girl hit with hockey puck dies...

Pages: 1
Karagin
03/21/02 01:51 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Did anyone here what they found out from the autospy on her as to what actually cause her to die two days later from the puck hitting her in the head?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
03/21/02 01:59 PM

Yes, it says in several news links I saw today. I'll post them in a sec.

The cause of death wasn't the immediate impact area of the puck on her forehead. What happened is when her head snapped back, it damaged an artery in the back of her neck. In a worsening cycle of clotting and bleeding, she died of a massive stroke.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
03/21/02 02:02 PM

Wow...that blows the theory one of my friends had out of the water...something about the blow sending shock in the main lobe of the brain and the result was a slow death or something like that...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
03/21/02 02:02 PM

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/news/2002/03/20/puck_death_ap/

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Nightward
03/21/02 06:28 PM

The human body is a very fragile thing at times. You can be killed by getting hit in the chest at a force little over 5kg per square cm if you are struck during the time when all of your heart chambers stop moving. It's such a tiny amount of time-not even a millionth of a second-but if you get hit at just that right (or wrong) instant, it's all over. The heart stops dead and the only way to start it again is with those electric paddles. Compressions don't work because the heart needs to be 'jump-started'.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
03/21/02 07:48 PM

From what I have heard though is that it was more common while growing up. Say the 8-10 years mark when children start playing sports but still lack the co-ordination to protect themselves while catching a ball. I have heard of cases of this happening but in adults I haven't.

Greyslayer
Nightward
03/21/02 11:54 PM

Well, sorta. You have to get hit for it to be a problem; adults and people with good co-ordination tend to get hit less often. The impact disrupts the flow of electricity through the heart, and you know the rest.

The odds of it actually happening are so incredibly low it doesn't even bear thinking about.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Black_Phoenix
03/22/02 12:19 AM

As most people know (or have learned the hard way) you can smack your head again a solid object and still walk away with only a few bruises (mostly on your pride). But, just 9 lbs. of pin-point pressure can cause the human skull to "spiderweb" (kinda like a window).

It's just astounding how the human body is both strong and weak at the same time.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4825

Contact Admins Sarna.net