Issue with link in the Rodigo entry

Pages: 1
Karagin
02/11/21 01:10 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I am wondering about this, at the bottom is a link to a Map of the Inner Sphere 3130, yet when I click on it I get this:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~oysteint/btech/maps/IS_3130.pdf on this server.

So why is the link there if we can't access it?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
FrabbyModerator
02/11/21 02:45 PM

Oystein Tvedten is (or was) the official map guru at CGL some ten years ago. Not sure if he's on the team anymore. He did a lot of work on BT starmaps, and maintained a private homepage with BattleTech maps - I think these were the same maps as were used by CGL at the time for official publications.

We had a user on Sarna (I forget who) who liked to use Oystein's maps by linking them on Sarna, or even copying the maps wholecloth from Oystein's page, without attribution and also (falsely) treating them as canon when they technically weren't.
Oystein wasn't particularly happy about that and contacted me via email. I apologized to him on behalf of Sarna and notified the user in question that what he was doing was a no-no. Consequently, many (most? all?) of the maps vanished from Sarna, and/or got attribution. I thought the user had seen this through; he did at least start with removing the stuff.

Over the years it turned out that a lot of articles still link to Oystein's page citing it as a source though, often in the References section. I think that's in error (because someone else's private homepage is not a good source for anything really, for several reasons at once), but I never bothered to scan thousands of articles for those links to remove them or verify that the user who put them in had removed them again or corrected the citations and attribution.

Anyways, it looks as if Oystein has meanwhile taken the page down or at least limited public access. That's why this link that shouldn't be there in the first place goes nowhere.
BrokenMnemonic
02/14/21 04:32 AM

FWIW, I seem to remember being told that the map in question (of the Inner Sphere as at 3130) was one that had been created by Øystein for the MechWarrior Clix line, and had been available on the appropriate website for that product line prior to the relevant page being taken down, and the map being hosted at Øystein's website.
Karagin
02/14/21 05:55 PM

Either way, his page is not allowing anyone to view it.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Frabby, BobTheZombie, Cray, Nic Jansma 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3057

Contact Admins Sarna.net