What's Your Favorite 'Oh Dear God' moment?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Rorahusky
06/22/05 10:37 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey, just a new user here with a question for you.

What's your favorite and most amusing moment that made everyone around you, during a game of BT, just stare in absolute shock and horror?

Mine is when my 20 ton Cannonball charged a good 20 hexes and rammed a Gunslinger off a 4 story cliff for 55+ points of damage. The reaction from everyone as it did a graceful swandive into a not so graceful faceplant was PRICELESS! I still lost the match though, but it was worth it for that 'Holy ****!' moment
Wraith
06/22/05 11:08 AM

I got a "are your dice loaded" once... 1st round hit a Sunder with 2 points of LRM fire in the head (among other places) with my Viking. 2nd round, only 1 LRM-20 hit (long range), rolled 12 on the missiles hit chart, then 12 for 5 points to the head, then 12 for 5 more points to the head. 2nd round our opposition lost it's C3 master
-Wraith
Karagin
06/22/05 11:34 AM

Let's the most amusing moment...back when they had a rule (original TR3050) about jumping mechs doing DFA being a target of opptunity, we had guy in a Grasshopper try to DFA a Clan Loki. Well the Loki's buddies see that he needs help, no we weren't using Clan honor rules, and they all opened up on the Grasshopper. Dead Grasshopper.

Now the funny part here is I am telling my buddy Aarron, that it may not be a good idea to DFA the Loki. He is like I out weight him etc...I point out that he will be a target for all to shoot and there is nothing the rest of his or my mechs can do to help the Grasshopper. But he is all for it and goes ahead and tries. The look on his face when the three remaining Clan mechs openned up on him was priceless. The DFA on forest hex was impressive as the mech litterly was shot to pieces and out of the sky all at the same time. Only thing not hit was the head. Needless to say Aarron never tried DFA again.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
tbird89
06/22/05 11:54 AM

lol, i remember i was playing a round and a centurion was charging torwards my badly damaged nova along the side of the map. at long range, after running, having +1 to targeting from heat, and with one intervening hex of light woods, i had a timber wolf. well, i fgured what the hell, and fired at him with the single med pulse on it (both LL were damaged), figuring it wouldn't do much, as all of the centurions armor was completely intact. well, it hit, i rolled nd even though it didn't penetrate the armor, i got a critical hit on his gyro. the centurion's pilot rolled his test, and failed, well, he fell over on his right side, and completely off the map! with one shot of a med pulse, i had killed a medium mech. it was one of the coolest moments i ever had with BT.
why? becuase. jesus told me to. and you wanna know something else that jesus told me? he said that everytime it rains, it's becuase god is crying over something u did. because god hates you.
so does superman
Greyslayer
06/22/05 12:42 PM

Nothing to do with the rolling of dice but....

There is one player we call Screamer. He doesn't have a quiet mode and generally if something doesn't go his way the volume will only go up.

Anyway his fancy schmancy merc unit with extra trimmings and everything else he shouldn't have was attacking some poor seriously outgunned defenders. I think our best unit was a regular Drillson. Anyway he had an Elite Atlas parked as the end of this road ready to smash anything that stood in their way... it was at this moment the GM had to talk to him about something.

Meanwhile these blokes had turned up for their first day with our group (they played btech in their own little group before this) and were helping me play enemy. I had given them control of the mechs while I controlled some hovercraft. I had explained our house rule banning deliberate skids (all because I used it during a tournament match , sheesh ) and the deal that they will not find a bigger tantrum thrower than screamer in battletech.

After that I had thought nothing of the discussion. Then two rounds into the resumption of gameplay a 9/14 Hermes comes screaming down the road 12 hexes, turns on pavement and moves off right in front of screamer's fancy Atlas. They pause for effect, the pause lengthens as you can see screamer trying to work out what is happening, realisation hits and you can see the volume controls going through the roof before the GM's name is screeched right across the block. Now the GM had no knowledge of this and for the next 45 minutes tirade after tirade is launched against the poor GM and the new players turned to me and said: "You were right."

At the time it was 'Oh dear god why did I not bring earplugs?'
Wraith
06/22/05 01:32 PM

fun story, but just have to mention a possible oversight you may have had: if a mech falls due to weapons fire, it lands in the hex that it is in.
-Wraith
Wraith
06/22/05 02:12 PM

I had a fun DFA experience in a tournament: opponent's Pouncer jumped to DFA my Cauldron Born, which proceeded to hit with both UAC-20 rounds CT. The crumpled Pouncer landed in a messy heap.
-Wraith
Karagin
06/22/05 05:01 PM

At UCon in Ann Arbor several years ago we had a similar personailty type. Funny thing here is he was asked to leave by the convention staff since other gammers in the room had gone an complained. We haven't seen him since.
Karagin

Nightward
06/23/05 01:18 AM

If "Screamer" is who I think he is, he's toned it down a lot.

At first I thought Greyslayer might have been winding up for a go at me, but then I realised the only time I've used an Atlas was when he wasn't around.

Stupid useless Atlases. That game, I had a 0/1 pilot in the thing, which ran down the entire length of the field to get the A/C-20 into play. I burned through all the ammo on board, needing 9s at the most to hit, and usually 4s or 6s. I hit TWICE.

Terrible.

One of my favourite moments was when I shot a Stone Rhino in the head with a Clan ER Large Laser from 25 hexes away. Scored a single Critical and burned out the cockpit.

Runner-up goes to the time I shot a Level Five building out from underneath a Night Gyr. I was in, I think, a Nova-H, and when I declared fire with all Heavy Medium Lasers, my opponent was all "Pfah. I'm in Partial Cover, we both Jumped, and it's long range. Have fun..."

He wasn't laughing when he realised that he was five levels up on a building with 100CF, though. The fact there was also a two-level basement did serve to heighten my amusement, though.

The winner, however, is my ninja Stinger pilot. Jumped 6 hexes to land in front of a Grasshopper who'd just jumped four. Firing goes off, with my Stinger hitting with both Medium Lasers (it was a Stinger-3G). The Grashopper misses with the lot. Physicals phase, and we both Kick. I hit; he misses. Makes his pilot roll for a Missed Kick, but my Stinger four-point furious assualt drops the mighty Heavy.

He then proceeds to fall for a Snakeyes, gets 3 Criticals, and demolishes the Engine.

NINJA!
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
CrayModerator
06/23/05 08:20 AM

It was that game when I realized Pulse lasers have a -2 to hit bonus, not a -1; I faced a LAM with pulse lasers that could jump 15 hexes in airmech mode; and I played a 3/5 assault mech (2 GRs, 1 UAC/20) with weapons only in one arm, so there was a blindspot behind the mech.

It was a brutal experience that destroyed my Lyran-like mentality of Big Meks ROOOOL!!!
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
06/23/05 07:51 PM

LAMs will do that.
Karagin

LordChaos
06/23/05 09:53 PM

Round 1, my 30 ton custom comes around a corner and finds himself stairing at a MadCat accross and open feild (with my mech only having a +2 for movement). MadCat opens up with a withering barrage. Yellowjacket (my mech) replys with 1 ERPPC. MadCat misses with everything. Yellowjacket connects, head, cockpit, first kill.

While that was a "priceless moment", the guy I was facing (a friend at the time) make it perfect with his coment of "I didn't like that pilot anyways". He went on to try all game to kill the Yellowjacket.. and never hit it (it went on to kill a Loki too that game). He later told me that if I ever played that mech against him again, he was gonna step on my minis...

Another one was one of the last "tonnage balanced" games I played in that place.. where the look on the other guys face was utter shock when he realized I was deploying 200 tons of SavanaMasters vs his med lance. (40 SMs will eat ANY 4 med mechs for a light snack on any remotely open terrain. It's not even ugly.. it's worse then that). The turn I flashfryed his Wraith, looking at him was like looking at someone who just saw his puppy get poleaxed....

ahh... the good old days of teaching newbs to respect the treachery of age....
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
rathburn
07/10/05 07:51 AM

I'd have to say, I was playing a Star Colonel for a friend who was running a campaign for other people, but needed an extra hand. Round 8, I've been watching paitently as 2 Lances, formed of 2 Mad Cats, 1 Mauler, and 1 Awesome. With 2 Ullers, and 2 Grim Reapers, a Merc Unit sponsered by the Gray Death Legion. They were assaulting a Clan Wolf munitions base. And because of the light/medium lance drawing fire at first, the assault mechs laying waste. The GM whom I was helping kept looking at me like "Dude! C'mon!" And then when an atlas got within 5 hexes, at the Round 8 moment, I delcared "Cold start, two stars, 2 Direwolves , 3 Timberwolves, 2 Behemoth, 2 Mad Dogs, and 1 Shadow Hawk. All the IS players who'd been tearing apart the base, with only moderate damage to their mechs, stopped and stared at me as I placed my pieces in their pre-set hexes. The guy piloting the Atlas that had come close enough looked to one of the other players and just said "Crap... He let Jeff have toys..."
Greyslayer
07/11/05 10:25 AM

Just note, cold starts don't usually work so well in battletech reality. But each GM to their own.
Nimon
07/21/05 07:33 PM

That is similar to what my wife faced vs me, she had my Mad whipped 4 ways to Sunday, then the hail mary shot, PPC to the Head, got 3 crits and one was a cockpit. The mint assault mech was taken down. She still will not let me live that one down (I rolled 5 12s in a row that game)
Wraith
07/21/05 08:02 PM

just a FYI, if you roll 12 on how many crits to the head or a limb it is blown off...
-Wraith
MacLeod
07/22/05 03:46 AM

Head/Limb blown off, or 3 crits to a torso location.
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Wraith
07/22/05 08:35 PM

yeah, that's pretty much what I said
-Wraith
MEX
07/23/05 08:29 AM

Just ask my Commando here in Vienna what i did with the cute litte Scarabus he gave me to pilot ... after chopping the head off of an assault mech with my axe while running at full speed through the advancing enemies to get into their rear, this litte critter managed to kill several big Mechs in this funny game
LordChaos
07/27/05 07:34 PM

On that note, never let a 100 ton mech with an axe and TSM get into physical combat range.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
MEX
08/08/05 07:56 AM

Luckily 100 ton Mechs with an axe are quite slow, so that it is usually easy to avoid physical combat with them ... thats why cute litte Mechs like the Scarabus are so dangerous
tbird89
08/20/05 04:54 AM

TSM means faster 100 ton mech with axe
plus the only 100 tonnr i can think of with an axe is the beserker, which all ready has a speed of 5/8, and thats faster than most heavies, so thats not alwaysso easy to stay away as it sounds
why? becuase. jesus told me to. and you wanna know something else that jesus told me? he said that everytime it rains, it's becuase god is crying over something u did. because god hates you.
so does superman

Edited by tbird89 (08/20/05 04:55 AM)
Wraith
08/20/05 11:10 AM

Berzerker only moves 4/6, can run 8 with its MASC engaged (which is incompatible with TSM). Can't even fit a 500 XXL in a 100 ton mech, still weighs 154.5 tons.
-Wraith
dramazing
11/16/05 12:08 PM

I have 2 of them here:

1) I'm playing a city battle in which an Urbanmech IIC encounters a MRM version of a Catapult about 3 hexes away. (We play double blind rules on a computer) The Urbanmech manages a cockpit critical with his AC/10 on the first shot!

2) I have a Summoner mech that has just barely made it into firing range against some IS units, of course they're using C3 and have a pretty good shot at hitting me too. In the first volley, my mech takes over 20 damage, fails a piloting skill roll (only needed a 5), falls over on it's weakened arm, breaks the armor, and criticals the gauss rifle. The auto-eject kicks in and I'm down one summoner!
Auren_Shiro
11/17/05 08:12 AM

Um... a Flying Kick from 18 hexes away by a firemoth. Don't ask why he did it... other then the end result was I was short one Dire Wolf custom (Dual Guassies with some LPLs).

God damn flying bombs.

Another Dear God moment was when I had a Timberwolf C unload everything on 3055 King Crab. It didn't like me anymore and took both of my arms off. Next moment I had through god like luck, all four Streak SRM 6s hit the head. Yes, I used Omni mech rules and remounted them forward. Nothing says 'oh god!' like

"6, hit, 12, head shot, 9 hit, 12..."
"Woah, what?"
"4 hit, 12"
"Bullshit!"
"10 hit, 12... wait, that doesn't sound right..."

Granted they were non-standard dice in that they were different colors, but still. Those became known as the head cappy dice... and while I get amazing to-hit rolls, they have a facination with the Left leg and Right torso.

and Dramazing, don't necro dead threads, it isn't nice and they smell.
Need...more...Nevcrack...
HydroSqueegee
12/22/05 02:17 PM

only good one in recent memory was a battle last week.

I was loseing as usual, when i pretty much just gave up. It was an even match lance wise (light/medium mix). I decided to charge his HBK-4G with my STR-3R. All weapon fire missed my stinger, the charge was successfull, and a lucky TAC with 3 engine hits did in the hunchback. The stinger took all its damage to its head and knocked the pilot out. It was a turning point and i was able to pull off a win by disabling 2 other mechs with charges.
DireWolf
12/30/05 09:44 AM

I've witnessed several while playing on MegaMekNet, here's a few examples:

First round I fire a Large Laser at an enemy Dervish with my Lancelot. TAC. Roll = 12. Triple Engine. Lucky, but thats not all. One of my tanks fires at the other enemy Dervish with a LLAS. Hits Head.

Round two. Same Lancelot fires at a Wasp on 9s, IIRC. Hits. CT. Crit Roll = 12. Triple Engine.

Same round, one of my Large Laser tanks fires at the enemy's second Dervish, Hits Head. Mech is dead already, *but* Crit Roll = 12.

The other guy surrendered at that instant.

My favorite however, was in the old WebRPG Battletech days with my self-appointed Star Captain of Clan Wolf engages two enemy machines in his Stormcrow variant (6/9/6, 2 ER PPC, Targeting Computer, IIRC 16 or 17 DHS), gets taunted at, replies by firing an ER PPC at each mech. Headshots both.

Now *that* was special. Hehe.
-Lt. Lev (Res. Inf.) "Dire Wolf" Arris, IDF.

"What is it like fighting the Wolf ? Imagine a lightning with legs, an earthquake with arms, a catastrophe with genius or just pure hell on wheels".
Auren_Shiro
12/30/05 06:12 PM

One word to say that man... Okay, two but still...

WTF PWNT!
Need...more...Nevcrack...
Oni_Ryo
01/20/06 02:52 AM

The best "WTF??!!?" moment had to be when me and my friend were playing 1v1 and i blew his head off in round 2...

He had been tearing me up with that PHX-1 he loves so much for like 4 matches in a row. He closed in to unload all his weapons including machine guns and i returned in kind with my Wolverine (WVR-6R i think it was)....... and missed with everything but 1 weapon - and scored a perfect SRM-6 volley to his head! Now for those who dont know off hand, the PHX-1 only has 6 armor plus 3 internal for a total of only 9! 3 points of overkill damage (what woulda really been crazy is if it set off an ammo explotion as well or something like that)

The look on his face when i told him his head had just been blown to crap from my SRM-6 in the first attack exchange (first round had LOS blocked i think...or we just flat out missed, but i know no damage was done) was absolutly great!

.........he then proceeded to tear me apart via machine gun ammo explotion TAC the next game at about round 5 or 6 i think it was o.o;; I'd almost swear he was using weighted dice.....except we were both using the exact same dice - which i supplied! lol
NileIngrams
01/20/06 07:39 AM

Ahh the spring of '94.

The Australian Rugby League Grand final was on, and I had only just got back from uni to start one of those
wonderfully large tactical games that one hopes will last long enough to prove that Medium Mechs
are more efficient in a big game. Our opponents had decided to bring in a big contingent of the usual
munchy 100 tonne Clan beasties, while my brother and I decided to go with some standard clan mediums,
and a star of Nagas. We pin-pointed where their dropship was going to land, and ran our forces up to
meet them.

And then fate intervened....

The pilot at the helm of the Dropship failed their landing roll - crashing the Overlord Dropship into the ground, leaving
only 1 bay door open for units to escape. And they could only exit one at a time out of that door.

And who was waiting for them when they left their shattered dropship?

Masakari steps out of the DS. Gets painted by TAG. And then gets hit for 100 points of ArrowIV TAG homing missles.
Custom 100 tonner, LPL and Tarcom beastie steps out. Same deal.

Ross: How about we.....
Matt: Dude, the only thing we can do is surrender. If we stay in the dropship, we die. If we go out of the dropship, we die.
Ross: But....
Matt: STFU Ross, why can't you understand that we are beat. We're surrendering.

My brother and I were really looking forward to using our mobility to really hurt our foes - I had made up a big strategic map
so we could run rings around them. Either way, it was one of those moments that was precious - almost karmic - it was
like the Dice Gods had punished them for their un-reality. And so the big game of '94 was called short, with our enemies
running home with their tail between their legs - and my brother and I with a stunning victory to remember for posterity.
NileIngrams NI! - The Killer of Threads!
In the time before the return of the heirs of Kerensky,
when the Successor Lords had tired of bathing worlds in Nuclear Madness,
there was an age of High Adventure!
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 25910

Contact Admins Sarna.net