Warship as as aircraft carrier

Pages: 1
Karagin
08/19/02 04:08 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Is this a good idea or not?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Bob_Richter
08/19/02 06:20 AM

Well, unless you actually want to PLAY AT2, instead of just drooling over the power of your 2.5 million ton fighter-carrier.

Since I don't like AT2 anyway...:)
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
CrayModerator
08/19/02 07:34 AM

Yes.

(Unless, pardon the nitpick, you meant an actual *air*craft carrier, i.e. something that hauls conventional fighters.)

A warship, unlike a dropship fighter carrier, can survive abuse from capital scale weaponry for significant periods of time. The Leviathan 2 is an extreme example: with 1000+ points of armor per location, it would take 15 hits from a fully loaded capital weapons bay to get through its armor, meaning it can take risks (i.e. move into range of enemy guns) that dropships dare not take. The Leviathan puts too many fighters on one ship for my taste, but it does exemplify a heavily armored "super carrier" that doesn't fill its britches when another warship shows up (unlike, say, a Vengeance.)

A warship can also have reasonable to good acceleration on top of that armor, and can carry weapons that can smite enemy dropships with a single shot and support ground forces.

The strategic mobility is a non-trivial point, too. A warship can conduct operations that dropship carriers could not because of their dependency on a separate interstellar transport. Tactically, the advantages of having an integral KF drive shouldn't be overlooked. A carrier can make a raid and flee pursuers by heading off in any direction...after reaching 7-9 AU from the typical Sol-type star, it can jump. A dropship can only return to its jumpship.

A carrier warship needn't be all that expensive, either. Big, agile dropships (i.e. good carriers) can easily exceed 1 billion C-bills, while you've seen that a warship (with all the extra bells and whistles) may only be ~4 billion.

Yep, warships make great carriers.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
08/19/02 08:40 AM

Okay...so my borrowing a card from RenLeg and having a Carrier warship for every class (ie...frigate, destroyer, cruiser, battleship) is not that bad of an idea then....

I thought about a wet navy carrier but alas I don't think it can be done...
Karagin

CrayModerator
08/19/02 08:52 AM

Just to simplify production and reduce maintenance troubles, you might want to pick one size of carrier and make a lot of them, rather than several in each class. AT2's pricing scheme is weird - a battleship-sized carrier won't cost much more than a destroyer-sized carrier.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
08/19/02 09:24 AM

True...but as I have found out the main area of wacky cost is the docking collars...why they cost so much is beyond me...
Karagin

CrayModerator
08/19/02 09:26 AM

They're tied into the KF drive - they aren't just ports like the shuttle uses to dock with the space station. They're complimicated doohickies that extend the drive's KF field (safely!) around a large (over a football-field long) ship attached to the side of a jumpship.

NathanKell
08/23/02 03:36 PM

Oh yes.
{Whips out UNS Charles Sumner, CSB-4}
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
12/08/06 02:54 PM

New input welcome/.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6343

Contact Admins Sarna.net