Ground Level Aerotech

Pages: 1
Tripod
12/15/07 07:34 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok, my buddy and I(he nor i have played areotech) decided to look at the graound level aerotech/integrated battletech rules(Total Warfare) and try a air to air engagement. we snagged a pair of Spitfires from Corsair SG's post after seeing the old aerotech fighters in the "old" 3025 book have a cockpit and feselage hit locations. after spending a good 2 hours hashing out the movement rules we began to play. we probably got alot of the rules wrong but over all we enjoyed it. we only played on a 2x2 map so managable velocity was 3 and less. after it was all said and done i failed a control roll and went off the map next turn.

Questions.....

just to be clear we are playing with aerospace fighters, on battletech terrain maps where 1 point of thrust spent for 1 point of velocity means a fighter must move 16 hexes.

***Additional facing changes

we understand when this can be done and how much thrust it cost, but is there no drawback other than racking up thrust points to possibly cause a control roll? seems to me there should be a roll of some sort each time the additional thrust is spent. feel free to explain and or give an example.

***Control rolls

after a craft has failed a control roll(at the end of it's turn fr spending over safe thrust), traveled a distance = to it's velocity the next turn, at the end of that turn does the craft automaticly come under the pilots control or is another control roll required to regain control?

***Movement modifiers

ok, my velocity is one. i travel 16 hexes forward and i am being shot at from point blank in my aft, same altitude. i just traveled 16 hexes, do i have a +4 to be hit(target moved 10-17 hexes), or is it +0 for having a velocity of one? what if a mech is shooting at me? +4 or +0?

***The Loop

all of the special maneuvers make perfect sence accept the loop. minimum velocity of 4, gotcha...cost 4 thrust, gotcha...now....explain this quote...

"The unit spends it's first 4 points of velocity in the loop, though the actual velocity remains unchanged. It ends up in the same hex where it started the move, then spends the remainder of its velocity normally."

TY for your time, i need sleep, i will probly add more questions later....
TBA
Tripod
12/19/07 10:01 PM

come on guys. is there a post or website that explains the basics of aerotech anywhere?
TBA
CrayModerator
12/20/07 02:02 PM

Probably CBT.com. I think I just saw some basic pointer-type posts on the Aerotech forum there.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Drasnighta
12/29/07 08:50 PM

For the Loop - The loop is a way that, if you are expending thrust, to expend that Thrust without actually maintaining a forward momentum... Its a "Spend thrust, not move" sort of deal... It can be good in double-blind or passback situations when you need to get behind someone - due to the fact that you expend the thrust, but do not gain any actual forward momentum...
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Christopher_Perkins
01/21/08 02:56 AM

suggest having a map set aside for 1 Thrust Point = 1 Hex for when you go off the little maps... fighters move too fast to stay on the BattleTech map for long

Note Also that the 1 Hex = 30 Meters and the 1 Hex = 500 meters games are on the same time scale, thus fighters and mechs will be moving at the same turn interval regardless of whither the fighter is on the 30m hex or 500m hex map. It would not be too hard to designate hexes on the Atmospheric Combat (500m) map that corrospond to the BattleTech Maps and switch between the Maps when a fighter is making a ground attack run.

Also... if you are playing strictly Air to Air Combat with no ground targets, its probably better to use Atmospheric Combat Rules (500 m Hex) in which one thrust point = 1 hex... this will certainly make it easier for you to do Battle
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6592

Contact Admins Sarna.net