1/2 ton ammo allocations

Pages: 1
Tripod
04/16/08 04:32 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
a quick glance at most any rule book and most people say only MG's can have a half ton of ammo. this is true. without a book to quote i'll do my best.

"all weapons accept mg's require a full ton of ammo durring design."

this is a bit open ended...

take the circa 3025 Orion. it has 1.5 tons of srm4 ammo, 37.5(rounded down) rounds. is this a valid rule or something that slipped past the editors of long ago?

if it is a valid rule, are you allowed to take say, 1 ton of srm2 explosive ammo, and a half ton of inferno? should you be required to have a full ton of each type of ammo and an additional 1/2 if so desired?

let's take an example...say a circa 3025 crusader. it has 2 tons of lrm 15 ammo. can one of the ammo bins be coustomized to be 2 1/2 ton bins(taking 2 critical slots), this allowing the pilot to take 1 ton of narc lrm ammo, a 1/2 ton of say thunder and a half ton of say, semi guided, intelegent, or whatever else flots his boat. is this sort of bending the rules or exploiting a loophole, or is this the way it was meant to be used but is mostly(if not entirely) overlooked?
TBA
Karagin
04/16/08 09:08 AM

Fractional Account would let you do this, and there should be no reason why a mech can't have .5 tons of any ammo type...if that is all you have then that is what's loaded into the ammo bin...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Fang
04/16/08 02:08 PM

It was always my understanding that officially only machine gun ammo can be loaded in half ton lots. But I do agree with Kara. If a half ton is all you have, then why not load a half ton. Ammo is Ammo, wether it is one ton, a half or a quarter. If all you have is two rounds for the SRM launcher, then work it in to your groups rules somehow.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
KitK
04/19/08 12:44 AM

It depends on what level you are designing at (assuming this hasn't changed in the latest manuals). At level 1 and 2 you must ALLOT space and weight for a full ton of ammo for every ammo based weapon except a machine gun. That said, if all you've got is a 1/2 ton in a given situation, shove it in, but the space and weight are still alloted. And, you cannot mix two half-tons to make a full ton. Each type needs its own bin and ton.

At level 3 you can use fractional accounting to allot less than a ton to a bin (ie. create half-ton allotments for desired weapons). You will still need to allocate separate bin space for each type of ammo. I think this comes from Maximum Tech.
Karagin
04/20/08 12:08 PM

Fractional Accounting is tricky for this game, it was level 2 legal for a long time, then someone felt it was to hard to do simple math, but wait we have computers that can do the map, so even so they removed it for mechs.

FA is still legal level 2 for vehicles, go figure on that, and thus we have the problem.

Level 3 you can do what you want for the most part, but now that they have done away with levels and gone with Tournament or non-Tournament rules, you can have FA on mechs if you want and thus have half ton ammo lots.

Hell you can have Wave Motion Guns on mechs if you want, but remember to have fun while playing.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Christopher_Perkins
05/17/08 03:23 AM

Basic & Standard (Tournament) and Advanced & Experimental (Non-Tournament) Rules are still only the published rules...,

Much Like Levels 1 & 2 (Tournament) and 1, 2, & 3 (Non-Tournament) were only the published rules.

Every thing else is House Rules.
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Jerjare
06/08/08 07:12 PM

This is a neat idea that I'm surprised I never thought of. There are plenty of weapons I think would be very practical to have half-ton ammo; I don't know anyone that is going to have a problem running low on AC/2 or SRM2 ammo, for example and in a lot of cases lower-caliber ammo is a big liability early in the game even with CASE. Also special ammo types that tend to be very situational; it would be fun to have combos like Narc/Explosive Narc, standard/inferno SRM, standard/thunder LRM, etc.
Dester
06/09/08 11:15 AM

For house rules, I let my players load out their ammo how ever they want, just as long as they mark where in the bin the ammo is.

For example a player can designate the first 2 shots from his LRM ammos as thunders and the rest normal, or the first few shots as infernos ect...

This is easy to do when its table top, imposible if your using megamek or some such though with out righting some home coded modules.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/20/08 07:47 AM

I agree with Dester that you must declare in what order the ammo will be fired in a said ammo bin. Other than that do what ever you want.

My light mechs and tanks use FA heavily. Like my 3 ton wheeled armored car that has .05 tons of MG ammo aka 10 shots.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
06/21/08 05:48 PM

it was my understanding, though, with FA you can load smaller than a ton of ammunition, but different types can not be mixed. sure, house rules and even canon rules with FA you can have more than one type and not need a whole ton, but the types can not be mixed and each type takes a crit slot. 2 shots of Thunders and the rest regular? sure. Just have the thunders in a different crit than the regular ammunition. Course, house rules you can have what ever your players agree on.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9658

Contact Admins Sarna.net