Can a flying VTOL/WIGE be tracked by acoustic sensors?

Pages: 1
Newtype
11/26/08 04:59 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I am curious if a flying VTOL/WIGE be tracked by acoustic sensors. I know if while they land they can be tracked by seismic sensors.
CrayModerator
11/26/08 05:39 PM

Quote:

I am curious if a flying VTOL/WIGE be tracked by acoustic sensors. I know if while they land they can be tracked by seismic sensors.

In the real world, yes, though they're not as good as radar or thermal systems. In BT, maybe - it depends on the sensors you assume are in standard sensor suites and active probes.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Christopher_Perkins
11/26/08 07:05 PM

Max Tech covered what sensors are in the suites in the Double Blind and Sensor Ops Sections... IDNR if Tactical Handbook may have covered this.

This may also be in Tactical Operations Manual (I glanced through the PDf quickly squeeing at certain things that had been bollixed up since introduction of AT2 being fixed... the Faslane and Bug Eye are BACK.. and Capitol Class aircraft Carriers and Super Tankers are -finally- covered under the rules.)
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
CrayModerator
11/27/08 02:39 AM

Quote:

the Faslane and Bug Eye are BACK.. and Capitol Class aircraft Carriers and Super Tankers are -finally- covered under the rules.)

You're welcome. The ultra-compact core was fun to write up, even on a miniscule word count.

Incidentally, I don't recommend trying to build supertankers or giant carriers with mobile structure rules. Large naval support vehicles will do the job better; if you need more than 100,000 tons, combine several support vehicles using the naval tractor/trailer rules.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Newtype
11/29/08 03:51 PM

So are acoustic sensors and for that matter scent sensors in the unit's/structure's standard sensor suite, Cray? I think that Total Warfare or at least Tactical Operations should be updated with accurate sensor suite information.
Prince_of_Darkness
11/30/08 11:43 AM

I would think that standard Battletech sensors would include these sort of sensors, including acoustic, however scent would be something that measured by what was in the local atmosphere per parts per square inch- not by smell.
Newtype
12/05/08 01:35 PM

In a way acoustic and scent sensors can be beneficial like if no LOS can be traced to target to be heard/smelled. Washington D.C. has acoustic sensors that can detect the position and type of gun shooting.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6062

Contact Admins Sarna.net