Crispy fried Atlas

Pages: 1
Venom
12/18/08 04:59 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I always knew that you could in theory disable and kill a mech using flamers, but i had never actualy tried. So I took three Flamer variant Stingers(pilots4/5) and a Firestarter(pilot 3/4) with an SRM-2 and infernos , placed them in a wooded setting and had them face off with an Atlas(pilot 2/3). Imagine my suprise when it actualy worked three times in a row!

Now this started off as just some fun, but now i think I have a new level one character to develop.

From a story-telling point of veiw, how could my Firestarter pilot afford a new head for the captured Atlas? I am assuming that as commander of his lance he would be able to claim the Atlas as spoils and a greatful AFFC would bestow upon him a head and possibly a promotion. But i have been known to be wrong.
CrayModerator
12/18/08 09:36 PM

Quote:

From a story-telling point of veiw, how could my Firestarter pilot afford a new head for the captured Atlas?

The unit he works for, or his merc unit's employer, would probably pay the small amount to supply a new head just to have the firepower of an Atlas on their side.

Quote:

I am assuming that as commander of his lance he would be able to claim the Atlas as spoils and a greatful AFFC would bestow upon him a head and possibly a promotion. But i have been known to be wrong.

That's reasonable.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Kovax
12/19/08 10:11 AM

They might be willing to "front" the materials, and give him the option of "working off" the debt or repaying it within a certain amount of time. If all else fails, he could sell the FS to pay off the replacement Atlas head, and still have plenty of cash left over.
Venom
12/19/08 04:00 PM

The Firestarter is property of the AFFC, I doubt the prince would be happy with me selling it even if I took down a company of assault 'mechs intact.:) Unfourtunatly there is not much left of the previous occupant to ransom, and Dracs don't usualy post ransom anyway.:(
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
12/31/08 04:21 AM

Toasted snake... I LIKE IT!!!
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Kovax
12/31/08 12:18 PM

The only alternative in that case would be a loan. The AFFC should also be willing to negotiate some sort of an "owner-operator" pay arrangement, since they wouldn't have the responsibility or expense of supplying or maintaining the FS if he uses his own 'mech. In essence, he could become a House-controlled "contractor" supplying a 'mech, although not a "private contractor" while his term of service was in force.

Obviously, the payment and terms for someone serving with a family Battlemech would differ substantially from that of the Mechwarriors using House-supplied 'mechs. Your Mechwarrior appears to have crossed that boundary.
Dester
01/09/09 03:38 PM

Very surpised you were able to pull this off since the atlas has 20 heatsinks and you can at most get 15 points of external heat added to a mech. This would have left him 5 heat sinks to still plink away at your forces and as you started to run out of mechs this would have gone up some.

Not sure what the stinger variants are ... but lets assume 1 flamer each, for a total of 6 flamers each round = 12 pts, 1 SRM-2 inferno (im guessing instead of the MGS?) for a max of 2 more pts each missle = 16 total heat if you managed to hit with everything and don't manage to shut your own mechs down from heat.

Again im going to assume level 1 tech because with double heat sinks and the Atlas toting a Gauss this becomes pretty moot.

FYI infernos got changed some time ago from 6 heat X 3 turns per missle awhile ago. They now do 2 pts per missle for 1 turn, but can can stack them up to 15 total exteral heat generated.

Now all that said, I have had some great luck with a javilin loaded with infernos.. especially against crusaders and other 10 heat sink mechs. And a team member loaded his battlemaster with a ton of inferno ammo and it gave quite the shock to a P-hawk in the same round the P-hawk alpha struck.

As for getting a new Atlas head... sell firestarter, buy atlas head, have party with left over funds. If the firestarter wasn't his to begin with, atlas salvage probably goes to the owning unit, and it might go to the parent unit anyway depending but he might get assigned to the atlas as a "job well done" type thing, and then the new head would be provided by the unit.

Dester
Venom
01/10/09 03:44 AM

"FYI infernos got changed some time ago from 6 heat X 3 turns per missle awhile ago. They now do 2 pts per missle for 1 turn, but can can stack them up to 15 total exteral heat generated."

I am as current as Master Rules(R). MegaMek which is how that battle was run and I belive it is only as current as MR(R).
Tripod
05/18/09 02:02 AM

hehe, sell off parts of the atlas to buy a new head...just not the parts you need.
TBA
LAMdriver
06/12/09 05:23 AM

Interesting strategy to say the least of toppling an Assault Mech.

As for paying for the head of the Atlas. The unit would get the Mech and it would go into the unit's pool of Mechs. The pilot would more than likely get a "at a boy" and maybe, maybe get to be its pilot if he gets trained up and checked out on that monster.

But as the saying goes, "A good job's reward is a harder job." The pilot will probably get stuck in the Firestarter.
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7371

Contact Admins Sarna.net