How about letting 'Mechs jump like humans?

Pages: 1
Newtype
12/21/08 08:57 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I mean letting 'Mechs without jumpjets jump with their legs and feet alone to jump off the ground and to another hex like the way humans can jump with their legs and feet. 'MechPilots after jumping this way could make PSRs at the end of their jumps.

Edited by Newtype (12/21/08 09:14 AM)
Christopher_Perkins
12/21/08 04:20 PM

NewType...

BattleMechs already do this, it is just represented by a run or a walk through rough terrain in the game since it is rather short distances

there are rules for Mechanical jump boosters, but they are something totally different
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Zandel_Corrin
12/21/08 05:56 PM

Consider that 1 hex = 30 meters

even with battlemechs size that could only be achieved with a running jump and what's the point of spending 1 turn running just so you can jump 1 hex next turn?
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Kovax
12/23/08 09:53 AM

A typical human in reasonable shape (ignoring "professional athletes" for the moment) still can't jump even half his\her body height without assistance, and only a couple of body lengths in distance, even with a good running start. A 12 meter machine doing the equivalent would jump about 3-6 meters high and/or about 15-30 meters forward, not exactly impressive compared to a 30m hex, and irrelevent in game mechanics terms.

As mentioned, a Mech may already be doing small jumps over obstacles as a routine part of running movement, which has no net effect in game terms. This could be why a Mech takes a piloting check for running thorough a rough hex: the Mech may make a bad landing after one such small jump.
Zandel_Corrin
12/23/08 05:40 PM

Kind of my point.... even if you allowed the rules it would be of no practical use.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Christopher_Perkins
12/23/08 10:44 PM

New Type... To put it into perspective...

A 12 Meter tall mech jumping accross a 5 - 7.5 Meter ravine is fairly commonplace in the course of walking or running does not even register in the rules as more than a standard "Walk" or Run because of the scale of the Maps.

if you are using the old Solaris VII (1 turn = 2.5 seconds, 1 Hex {map} or inch {terrain} = 7.5 m) then you might have reason to house rule in the ability to jump an inch or hex (both 7.5 meters) without engaging Jump Jets while walking or running...

however on the standard/tournament game (1 turn = 10 seconds, 1 hex = 10 meters) the ability of a BattleMech to jump horizantally the equivelent of Half its height is, well, meaningless, since half of 12 meters is 6 meters, or considerably less than 30 Meters.

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Zandel_Corrin
01/04/09 05:55 PM

Quote:

(1 turn = 10 seconds, 1 hex = 10 meters)

Typo here... I see after that that you ment 30 meters.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Christopher_Perkins
01/05/09 10:57 PM

bloody hades... yeah...

otoh... you could have a true to scale (Hex and mech at same scale) game with 1 hex = 10 meters.. but yeah, that is not tourney scale ...

Zandel_Corrin
01/06/09 05:39 PM

you know i've always wondered about the whole mech height thing anyway... I mean they are all meant to be 10-12 meters but the lights are depicted as only half the height of a heavy/assault....

does this mean that the lights are only 6 meters or the assaults are 24?
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/06/09 05:56 PM

Quote:

you know i've always wondered about the whole mech height thing anyway... I mean they are all meant to be 10-12 meters but the lights are depicted as only half the height of a heavy/assault....

does this mean that the lights are only 6 meters or the assaults are 24?

Beware, you are getting way to close to logic for Battletech.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Zandel_Corrin
01/07/09 12:37 AM

yeah i know.... what about woods hexes?

I know for a fact that real world trees can reach up to 300m hight (old growth red woods mostly)

I even thought about using real life heights in Btech.... till i realised you;d need to make a height note for every woods hex.... good idea... not practical tho.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6493

Contact Admins Sarna.net