What's your Favorite Weapon?

Pages: 1
Zandel_Corrin
01/18/09 09:09 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
So what is your favorite weapon? This is a simple request based on a few minor requirements...

Fav Level 1 for Light class units
Fav Level 1 for Medium class units
Fav Level 1 for Heavy class units
Fav Level 1 for Assault class units

Fav Level 2 for Light class units
Fav Level 2 for Medium class units
Fav Level 2 for Heavy class units
Fav Level 2 for Assault class units

And a reason why.... I'm looking to use this info to design a few new mechs for my games... the idea is that other people will probably have different preferences to me and thus offer good idea's i've not thought of.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/19/09 08:33 PM

Heavy L1 or L2, You have some good firepower and armor, but are not slowed down to much by shear size.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Kovax
01/20/09 10:24 AM

Level 1:
Lights - favor medium lasers with an LRM-5 rack for range if I can fit one without sacrificing too much.
Mediums - Large Laser or LRMs with a battery of Med Lasers for infighting.
Heavies - PPC and either AC/10 or LRMs to reach out and touch something, ML at point blank.
Assault - prefer not using assaults, but combo of PPC and LRM for range, ML and SRM for close.

Level 2:
Lights - ERLL to maintain fire from a safe distance, or small LRM and lots of ML, possibly 1 MPL.
Mediums - ERLL or ERPPC for distance, ML or MPL for up close and personal.
Heavy - ERPPC and LB-10X, or dual ERPPC for range, ML and MPL for getting in your face.
Assault - 1 ERPPC, with LBX or Gauss second main gun, and batteries of Streak SRMs to fill the holes.

Given the tonnage to use it, I prefer the range and concentrated damage combo of a PPC or ERPPC over most comparable weapons, and 2 to 4 Medium Lasers for their high firepower-to-weight ratio. With lighter chassis designs, the LL replaces the PPC, or LRMs offer a bit less firepower in exchange for a lot less need to add heatsinks. As the chassis tonnage increases, I prefer to add a ballistic weapon (Gauss or LBX) to the mix, since it doesn't require as much additional heat dissipation as another energy weapon. Given enough extra room, I'll then tack on SRMs or Streak SRMs to exploit the holes drilled through the armor by the big guns, which makes for a deadly combination, or a single Pulse laser for its better to-hit number against fast targets.
Zandel_Corrin
01/20/09 05:52 PM

Thanks Kovax that is exactly what i was looking for.... my thoughts are similar but i have a soft spot for LRMs.... L2 tech just makes them better.... love Thunder rounds, indirect fire and double blind.... "where do these mines keep coming from?"
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
01/20/09 06:33 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood what you where looking for.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Zandel_Corrin
01/21/09 05:51 PM

no probs donkey... so any thoughts?

I know you prefer energy weaps but which ones specifically?
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
01/21/09 06:25 PM

light L1 3 or 4 ML or a PPC, a great amount of speed
Med L1 A PPC with back up MLs try to have the speed 5+
Heavy L1 2LL and back up MLs
Assault L1 Same as the Heavy but add one or two 15 LRMs

Light L2 ERPPC some back up ML and again SPEED!!!
Med L2 ERPPC and MLs speed 5+
Heavy L2 2ERLL all the MLs you can have or a GR/LGR and MLs a speed of 5+ would not be bad.
Assault L2 GR&2ERLL and MLs Maybe 2LGR for picking off the enemy where they can't shoot back

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Zandel_Corrin
01/22/09 12:51 AM

Nice.... i used to think like that as well.... energy, energy and more energy.... but i've seen the efectiveness of missiles and AC's now and think a balanced approach is best..... still.... love my spiders and panthers.... think i always will.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
01/22/09 03:43 AM

I just don't like that sitting duck feeling when I had shot off the last of my ammo, or sitting in a cockpit when my ammo is going off inside of my mech.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Zandel_Corrin
01/22/09 05:38 PM

True that can be an issue... but it's not that hard to carry plenty of ammo.... and amo explosions don't happen if you don't get hit internal.....

I've found ammo weaps do more damage then energy... thus an ammo mech should destroy a non ammo mech faster so few internal hits... and with L2 tech the CASE makes ammo ok to carry.

It's the ammo vs ammo mech battles that end up with big bangs.... or stupid designs.... MAD anyone? with L1 tech that thing was a death trap... AC5 was just a waste... I would have made it fully energy by adding 7 M las for close in and 2 more HS...
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
01/23/09 11:59 AM

Yes, but what is plenty of ammo? With my energy weapon mech, I try to make the mechs that are ammo heavy designs waist there ammo on hard to hit shots, by keeping to there long range and pepper them with my long range weapon until there out of ammo.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
01/25/09 11:02 PM

Quote:

So what is your favorite weapon? This is a simple request based on a few minor requirements...

Inner Sphere: standard medium laser, followed by PPCs (standard, ER, or heavy, depending) and LRM 5s.

Clan: pulse medium laser, followed by large pulse laser and LRM 15s.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Kovax
01/26/09 09:37 AM

The AC/5 is probably the worst of the autocannons. It has less range than LRMs yet it doesn't do enough damage to exceed the "5 point groups" to concentrate damage in one location, it has a minimum range, and it has one of the lowest "damage to weight" ratios of any weapon in the game (AC/2 is worse, but is at least usable as an extreme range "plinker").

Putting one on the basic 3025 MAD was a bad move. A LRM-10 would have had about the same hitting power, slightly better range, and would have freed up 2 tons of mass for another pair of heatsinks to make the existing twin PPCs a little more effective (or a ton of armor and a HS).
Prince_of_Darkness
01/26/09 03:54 PM

You can kinda tack the words "Medium Laser" in each field and basically get the same result.
Zandel_Corrin
01/26/09 06:09 PM

Quote:

Yes, but what is plenty of ammo? With my energy weapon mech, I try to make the mechs that are ammo heavy designs waist there ammo on hard to hit shots, by keeping to there long range and pepper them with my long range weapon until there out of ammo.

Not always possible.... in RL it would be but you have board constraints in CBT that make that tactic not as effecting as it sounds.... also you need LOS to shoot with las weaps where LRM don't need that... and they out range you with L1 tech.... Gauss and LGauss moot the issue at L2+ tech.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
01/27/09 03:52 AM

You cant shoot LRMs with out a spotter and that spotter can be shot and killed, then your LRM is just as useless as my energy weapon.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
01/27/09 08:35 AM

Quote:

You can kinda tack the words "Medium Laser" in each field and basically get the same result.

Yeah. The Marauder variant that taught me to love the medium laser ditched the AC/5, upgraded the armor to 14.5 tons, mounted 18 SHS (or more, at the expense of armor), and carried a total of 6 medium lasers. You then had a mech that was tough as almost any other L1 mech in the game barring a couple of assault designs, had significant L1 firepower at any range, and ran cool.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Zandel_Corrin
01/27/09 05:52 PM

Are you sure about that.... pretty sure you can shoot blind.... VERY hard shot tho.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
CrayModerator
01/27/09 11:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah. The Marauder variant that taught me to love the medium laser ditched the AC/5, upgraded the armor to 14.5 tons, mounted 18 SHS (or more, at the expense of armor), and carried a total of 6 medium lasers. You then had a mech that was tough as almost any other L1 mech in the game barring a couple of assault designs, had significant L1 firepower at any range, and ran cool.

Are you sure about that.... pretty sure you can shoot blind.... VERY hard shot tho.

Zandel, are you using a "flat" view of this thread? I didn't say anything about blind shots.

Kovax
01/28/09 10:35 AM

You need a spotter to IDF with LRMs, but there's nothing that says the spotter needs to be within weapon range of the target. In theory, you could park a 'Mech on a hill along your edge of the map with a good field of view, and use that to rain death and destruction on your opponent from LRM-equipped friendlies, while never taking any fire in return. A VTOL spotter landing on hilltops out of range of the enemy would be another effective spotter: try chasing down a VTOL with a 'Mech on a big map.....

I don't think there are rules for unspotted indirect fire, although there were rules for night fighting and direct "blind" fire, where at least the optical sensors were ineffective.
Zandel_Corrin
01/28/09 06:00 PM

soz cray was replying to donkey.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
02/04/09 03:57 PM

Quote:

You need a spotter to IDF with LRMs, but there's nothing that says the spotter needs to be within weapon range of the target. In theory, you could park a 'Mech on a hill along your edge of the map with a good field of view, and use that to rain death and destruction on your opponent from LRM-equipped friendlies, while never taking any fire in return. A VTOL spotter landing on hilltops out of range of the enemy would be another effective spotter: try chasing down a VTOL with a 'Mech on a big map.....

I don't think there are rules for unspotted indirect fire, although there were rules for night fighting and direct "blind" fire, where at least the optical sensors were ineffective.

The rules for indirect LRM fire are quite clear, you need a spotter. I do believe that the farther the spotter is the worse he is at directing the indirect fire. The spotters movement also affects his directing the fire.

I am sure that newtype would use your way to have the spotter in orbit.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Kovax
02/05/09 10:46 AM

There is no penalty for the spotter's range, only the range of the firing unit. Movements of both the spotter and the firer affect the shot.

There is a limit to spotting range, however, since line of sight in daylight was said at some point in the past to be 30 hexes. That could still put the spotter well outside normal or ER weapon ranges, while allowing the firer to unleash havoc at medium or long range from the relative safety of the backside of a hill, or behind a building.

Indirect LRM fire can be devastating, from a morale standpoint more so than from actual effect:

At a past game convention (one of the historical miniature games conventions hosted by HMGS.org), I was involved in a CBT game where two lances of Level 1 mediums and heavies (starting in hidden locations), with some light hovertank support, and two cheezy Bulldog medium tanks with only short-range weaponry stuck in emplacements directly in front of the opponents' objective, faced off against 2 lances of heavy and assault Level 2 'Mechs, supported by a lance of dreaded Alacorn and Burke heavy/assault tanks. We used the stationary Bulldogs as spotters (as soon as the attackers got within sighting distance) to pour LRM fire from our heavy lance (protected by a heavy treeline) onto the advancing "ubermechs", while our light hovers made a rapid pass at their trailing armor column, and managed to immobilize 3 of the 4 deadly machines at the cost of 2 hovers. To avoid our pesky LRMs, the advance group of enemy heavy 'Mechs ducked into a small patch of woods where our medium lance happened to be parked. Finding yourself 3 hexes away from a Hunchback can be a rude surprise, and it promptly headshot the attacking forces' Orion command Mech (supposedly some young and aspiring Star League officer named "Kerensky"). The attackers fell back in confusion, in spite of fairly minimal actual damage to any 'Mech other than the commander's, while the one player complained that the scenario was one-sided and impossible to beat.
02/05/09 02:44 PM

Well it was the attackers fault for not having some light mechs or tanks to scout out the battle field.

As for me I love my 11 ton VTOLs for scouting. There almost imposable to hit with a flank speed of 23. With that 23 movement they can cover a lot of ground. Also with there 3 med lasers they have a huge punch for there tiny size. There one true draw back is you know that there coming. VTOLs do make a lot of noise. You can only do so much to cut down on the noise that they make.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9717

Contact Admins Sarna.net