Company size outfitting

Pages: 1
LAMdriver
07/09/09 03:18 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok here is the deal, you are in command of a company size element (4 lances) of battle mechs. You have to to have a command lance, recon lance, assualt lance, and a striker (fast attack) lance.

What do you field in your company? The mechs don't have to be in the same faction.

Have fun!
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
CrayModerator
07/09/09 01:32 PM

4 lances, a heavy company? Assuming it's an independent company, I'd take:

COMMAND LANCE

BLR-2D Warlord, with jump seat re-installed
BLR-2D Warlord
BLR-2D Warlord
BLR-2D Warlord

ASSAULT LANCE

BLR-2D Warlord
BLR-2D Warlord
BLR-2D Warlord

STRIKER LANCE

BLR-2D Warlord
BLR-2D Warlord
BLR-2D Warlord

SCOUT LANCE

4 good Phoenix Hawk or Wraith variants

DISCUSSION

Why all the Warlords? 4/6, thick armor, heavy guns, and all-energy weapons is a 'mech that covers enough bases for a talented commander to push into most roles. You don't need specialized hardware to address tactical problems; you can use tactics to solve tactical problems, too.

With primarily one model of 'Mech, the supply situation will be easy to address. I don't need a dozen types of actuators, engines, and gyros - just one. Well, two because of the scouts.

I didn't want the Phoenix Hawks, since it causes a logistical headache (all different engines, weapons, gyros, actuators, etc.), but there's no Warlord variant with jump jets, which would be my preferred scout unit. So if you're going to field another type of 'Mech and deal with all the supply problems, might as well make it a good, solid scout. Some Wraith variants look tempting, too: durable enough to cover assault mechs and survive brushes with Clan light mechs.

What I'm missing from that company is LRM support, and it's too bad the Warlord doesn't have an LRM variant. But two types of mechs in the company is enough for me. I'd happily swap out the Phoenix Hawks for LRM boats, preferably something that could share components with the Warlords, but the contest did specify a scout lance, so...no missile boats. Though the ability of LRMs to fire specialty munitions (e.g., mines and smoke) and fire indirectly will be missed.

If this unit was scaled up from a heavy company to a light battalion (2 companies of 3 lances), I'd add a lance of LRM units (and a 4th lance of Warlords). Is there an O-Bakemono variant that totes LRMs?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (07/09/09 04:15 PM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/09/09 03:21 PM

That's not quite what my reinforced lance is.

Assault lance
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/151478/an/0/page/1#151478
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/151482/an/0/page/1#151482
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/155355/an/0/page/0#155355
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/155419/an/0/page/0#155419

Heavy lance
Blazzer II http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/150941/an/0/page/2#150941
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/155424/an/0/page/0#155424

Medium lance
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/155460/an/0/page/0#155460
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/155436/an/0/page/0#155436
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/155442/an/0/page/0#155442

Recon lance
Two of each A & B http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/151401/an/0/page/1#151401

I know that I am short three mechs. The reason for that is the sheets that they where on where lost and I don't recall what they where. The heavy lance would have two more 5/8 movement 70 or 75 ton mechs. The medium lance would have another 7/11 movement 50 or 55 ton mech.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
07/09/09 08:38 PM

Quote:

Is there an O-Bakemono variant that totes LRMs?

Nope, only MRM'S. But since the O-Bakemono is stated as being easy to refit, I don't think making a custom variant would be too bad.

And nice Company, BTW. That was pretty much what I was thinking of too.
LAMdriver
07/10/09 02:53 AM

Nice picks all around. This is what I would field if I could come up with the logiciistics:

Recon:

Phoenix Hawk PHX-3M
Locust LCT-5T
Raven RVN-4L
Stinger STG-6L

Assualt:

Atlas AS7-K2
Fafnir FNR-5
Marauder II MAD-4S
Devestator DVS-2

Striker:

Wolverine WVR-8K
Griffin GRF-1DS
Templer TLRL-0 (prime configuration)
Anvil ANV-3M

Command:

Battlemaster BLR-10S
Warhammer WHM-4L
Longbow LGB-12C
Catapult CPLT-C5

This is the way I figure a battle might happen:

The recon Lance heads out first to recon and locate enemy with the Phoenix Hawk in command of the lance. When the enemy is located the Raven paints the target(s) with the TAG and calls for fire. The Call comes in to the Battlemaster and the company CO issues the order to the Catapult for Arty and other Mechs with LRM support. The rest of the recon lance covers the Raven with wolfpack-like tactics while the arty is coming down and the LRM's are in flight.

The Assualt lance advances while the Striker lance covers the flanks. The Command lance covers the rear and Advances behine the Assualt Lance. The Striker lance (depends on how well the recon Lance is doing at the time) will cover flanks and advance toward the Recon Lance to relieve them or assist them. The Recon lance falls back to the rear covering the Command Lance from rear attacks.

The Assualt lance pounds through the objective while still being supported by Striker and Command.

That is how I see it happening anyway.
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

Edited by LAMdriver (07/10/09 02:55 AM)
GiovanniBlasini
07/13/09 08:55 AM

In the Fan Councils game over on CBT, where I run Niops, I tend to deploy single 'Mech types at the company level. I'm hoping to restructure to do the same at battalion level as part of my military expansion.

Example companies:

12 HGN-732 Highlanders (chosen because they jump, and HGNs are mentioned in canon)
12 BL6-KNT Black Knights (bit of an old-school flashbulb, also mentioned in canon)
12 BLR-1Gb Royal BattleMasters (new old-school flashbulb - recently deployed, and a signature Niops unit now)
12 CRB-27b Royal Crabs (also recently put into production as a filler unit)
12 AWS-9Q Awesome (imported)

Those are the total summation of 'Mech types I field, actually, and the HGNs are going to be slowly moved to support roles for the Royal BattleMasters once I can get more into production. Right now, at the battalion level, I'm thinking 24 BLR-1Gbs backed by 12 HGN-732, or for my lighter battalions, 12 BL6-KNT and 24 CRB-27b.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
LAMdriver
07/15/09 04:11 AM

I see that a couple of y'all have posted Company level outfitting with ionly one type of Mech with different variants in it. Which is very good from the support and logicistics side of the house ( Lord knows my company would be a headache for the QuaterMaster!)

When I asked this question, I was looking for a good all around company. If anyone has ideas for diffrent types of companies (Assualt, recon, LRM/SRM support, combined arms, tanks, etc.,) I would love to hear about your ideas too!!

CrayModerator
07/17/09 01:23 PM

Quote:

When I asked this question, I was looking for a good all around company.

That's what I gave: a good general-purpose company. Aside from missions that call for very high speed or really, really demand indirect fire, there's nothing it can't blow up.

Quote:

If anyone has ideas for diffrent types of companies (Assualt, recon, LRM/SRM support, combined arms, tanks, etc.,) I would love to hear about your ideas too!!

My company could also fill in the assault role.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
07/17/09 02:33 PM

The biggest problem of having a enforced company of mechs, is getting sixteen mechs of the same kind in one place. A company commander will take what he is given. The only way that you will get a company that has all of one mech is when one of the Inner Sphere rulers wants to put such a company together.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Brian_Paxt
07/17/09 07:27 PM

My group has started a pre 3025 game recently and I have been building up the company. So far I the following mechs.

Command Lance
Guillotine GLT-4L
Orion ONI-1k
Exterminator EXT-4A
Black Knight BL-7-KNT

Fire lance
Archer ARC-2R
Catapult CPLT-C1
Whitworth WTH-1
Trebuchet TBT-5J

Recon/Mobile Support Lance
Wolverine WVR-6R
Commando Com-2D
Stinger STG-3R
Wasp WSP-1A

That's the set up I am running with. So far we have many battles won with no losses. Only had to replace a few arms and legs on the lights, but nothing too bad.
Bob_Richter
07/19/09 12:57 PM

Command Lance:
Summoner
Executioner
Executioner
Summoner

Recon Lance:
Viper
Viper
Viper
Viper

Assault Lance:
Warhawk
Warhawk
Kingfisher
Kingfisher

Striker Lance:
Stormcrow
Stormcrow
Stormcrow
Stormcrow

(note: Viper refers to the 40-ton Omnimech, not the 75-ton Black Python)

Now, I imagine I'm going to get a lot of criticism here, so here are some preemptive answers:
1) Those are Omnimechs, not Battlemechs! Omnimechs are also Battlemechs. The latter term is more general.
2) But they're Clan! I didn't see a tech base specified.
3) You didn't list configurations! Omnimech configurations can be changed on the fly to adapt to mission parameters. Listing equipment configurations would have been inappropriate.
4) Clans use Stars, not Lances It could be an Inner Sphere unit (in which case, it's an overstrength company using captured technology.) Alternatively, it could be a rather unorthodox (or just understrength) Clan unit. I was asked for Lances, and so Lances they are.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Bob_Richter
07/19/09 01:06 PM

FWIW, the Raven dangerously slows your recon lance. 6/9/0 is in Striker territory, and the lack of jump-jets could be an issue for evading action with a superior force. The electronics package is certainly valulable enough, but it's a touch slow to really do the job.

The inclusion of a Templar in your Striker unit slows it measurably, and it was already slow for a Striker force. Consider replacing it with a more nimble 'Mech in the 50-80 ton range.

I'm a little unclear on what the role of a Command Lance is. The Battlemaster is certainly a capable enough Command Mech, though, and the Warhammer provides valulable support at closer ranges, while the LGB covers the Battlemaster's range deficiency.

I don't know if using the Command Lance to double as an Indirect Fire/Artillery Lance is really appropriate, since command units are rarely well-equipped for an artillery role, and Artillery units are typically weak against headhunting Striker forces. You don't really have enough IDF power to make it (or continuing to expose your recon element to enemy fire as you advance) worthwhile.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
07/19/09 08:47 PM

LAMdriver said lance not star so it was assumed by everyone other than you that it is restricted to IS tech and not the Clans and there tech. Having 16 mechs of the same kind in one reinforced company is unrealistic as it is but having 16 clan mechs in one is going way beyond believability. The only time that you MIGHT see that, it would be a hand picked unit that is under the direct command of a IS ruler with him as his personal body guard as he lands on a planet that is currently being fought over.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
07/19/09 09:32 PM

Quote:

LAMdriver said lance not star so it was assumed by everyone other than you that it is restricted to IS tech and not the Clans and there tech.

Fair point.

Quote:

Having 16 mechs of the same kind in one reinforced company is unrealistic as it is

Incorrect. The 'Mech acquisition rules of the various Merc Sourcebooks make it quite possible and easy to deploy mono-mech units. And there's sufficient precedence in canon, too:

See: Miller's Marauders (3025-era merc regiment of primarily Marauders).
See: El Dorado Militia (TR:3075).
See: old SLDF, which typically deployed battalions of one 'Mech type.

Bob_Richter
07/19/09 09:47 PM

The key word here is "assumed"

No tech, era, or faction restriction was made. Off-faction 'Mechs were specifically allowed.

Clan 'Mechs are available to Inner Sphere factions, pirates, and merc forces.

LAMdriver
07/20/09 05:03 AM

Well I did say that. I should have been more specific is what I wanted. I apologize for that oversight and adding to the confusion of what I wanted out of this post.

I wanted an IS reenforced company of Mechs from ANY time frame, but exclued the Clans Omni's and battlemechs (personally I like the Clan equipment and tech, but hate their culture, tactics, and genteic tampering that they have done to themsleves....Too Nazi like for my tastes, but that is another post thread way down the road.)

As for Bob's input, yes some of the mechs that I chose are a little slower than normal. The Raven has a top speed of 92.7 km/h (working from the Wiki here and they don't have all the speeds of the variants listed, so i am just guessing that some will be the same as the base) but the TAG, Beagle probe, ECM and Narc pods make up for it IMO. As for the Templer, I just liked it's nice speed for an Assault (64 km/h) with dang good firepower. As for the stiker lance, I wanted something faster than the Assaults with medium to heavy firepower and my choices I thought fit the bill. Most of them, 3 out of 4, move at 84 km/h and pack enough firepower.

I agree with Bob that the command lance needs another ID firepower mech so another Longbow LGB-12C would be added and the Catapult removed. I disagree that the command lance/ LRM support is a bad idea. I have used this set up in the past and it has worked to my satisfaction.

Bob_Richter
07/20/09 07:57 AM

Quote:

I wanted an IS reenforced company of Mechs from ANY time frame, but exclued the Clans Omni's and battlemechs

The thing is, the further up the time-line you go, the more common Clan technology is in Inner Sphere units. Even in the late 3050s, there were merc units with whole companies or battalions of Clan equipment. Go far enough into the future, and I imagine the superior Clan technology will have replaced inferior Inner Sphere technology altogether.

Now, I can put together reinforced companies for the IS Techbase and different eras, but I'm going to stick by my Clantech company for now.

Quote:

(personally I like the Clan equipment and tech, but hate their culture, tactics, and genteic tampering that they have done to themsleves....Too Nazi like for my tastes, but that is another post thread way down the road.)

The culture doesn't need to come with the equipment. FWIW, the most obvious sign of ignorance about Clan culture is the Nazi comparison. Not to mention....Godwin's Law? :P

CrayModerator
07/20/09 08:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I wanted an IS reenforced company of Mechs from ANY time frame, but exclued the Clans Omni's and battlemechs

The thing is, the further up the time-line you go, the more common Clan technology is in Inner Sphere units. Even in the late 3050s, there were merc units with whole companies or battalions of Clan equipment.

Wolf Dragoons, primarily. Few others managed it. Even WoB and the Houses had precious few Clantech units.

Quote:

Go far enough into the future, and I imagine the superior Clan technology will have replaced inferior Inner Sphere technology altogether.

Sometime well after the 3130s.

07/21/09 09:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Having 16 mechs of the same kind in one reinforced company is unrealistic as it is

Incorrect. The 'Mech acquisition rules of the various Merc Sourcebooks make it quite possible and easy to deploy mono-mech units. And there's sufficient precedence in canon, too:

See: Miller's Marauders (3025-era merc regiment of primarily Marauders).
See: El Dorado Militia (TR:3075).
See: old SLDF, which typically deployed battalions of one 'Mech type.

Keeping away from SLDF that was 300 years ago and bought most of the battle mech production because house armies where very limited on there military size, You have listed only two. I am quite sure that there are some more that you did not name, but there extremely rare even in house units. Most companies, house or otherwise, are just happy to have 12 mechs, and having them in good working order is even better, no matter what kind they are.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
07/22/09 08:47 AM

Quote:

Keeping away from SLDF that was 300 years ago and bought most of the battle mech production because house armies where very limited on there military size, You have listed only two. I am quite sure that there are some more that you did not name, but there extremely rare even in house units. Most companies, house or otherwise, are just happy to have 12 mechs, and having them in good working order is even better, no matter what kind they are.

Yes, but having a unified company is still not "unrealistic." It's canon and quite feasible to have in any era, just unusual after the mid-2800s. Certainly the 'mech acquisition rules of the various Merc books make it very easy to implement.

PS: forgot one. The "horde" regiments of the Combine in the 3020s, which used regiments of Stingers and Wasps.

07/22/09 12:34 PM

Quote:

PS: forgot one. The "horde" regiments of the Combine in the 3020s, which used regiments of Stingers and Wasps.

Yes, but that ended up as a complete disaster. If you want to use a horde tactic don't use mechs that cost just under 2 mil CBills use tanks like the Savannah Master or the Scorpion Light Tank. At least you will not lose hard to replace mechs.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
07/22/09 09:37 PM

Quote:

Yes, but that ended up as a complete disaster.

Strawman fallacy. Your point doesn't change the availability of mono-mech units.

LAMdriver
08/01/09 05:09 AM

If you but together a company like I asked for with all the same type of Mech, then that is your right.

As for the Clan tech company, I just seem to just step on my crank. So be it. I just reread one of the MW:DA novels, and most of the mechs in it were Clan-based tech mechs, except for an Atlas (still a scary bugger hehe) and this was in 3134.

So be it.

Now have fun.

Christopher_Perkins
08/01/09 08:09 PM

in the 3130s, as cray said, clan tech battlemechs are proobably just as available as is tech mechs...

Course that isn't saying much about actual availability given the all but general moritorium on battlemech production in the rotten sphere (up to the period that occours in the novels when battlemech production ramps up again)
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (08/01/09 08:11 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 12872

Contact Admins Sarna.net