FF, Reactive and Reflective armour?

Pages: 1
mechpilot19
10/06/09 05:54 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
According to the game, a 100% green armour bar equates to 20 tons of armour. Is this the maximum amount of protection, or does "over-armouring" actually work? Also, does Reactive armour protect more against Ballistic or Missile weapons?
Tripod
10/07/09 05:27 AM

What game are you speaking of?

In general I would think green meant 100% of the original armor was still pressent, not representing an ammount. Only the largest of mechs can support 20 tons of armor. I would think that as damage is taken and the fades to yellow or red or whatever color this game uses this would represent what % of the iriginal is left. Say yellow meant 75% to 50% orange 50% to 25% and red 25% or less. Again, this is just a guess... Get back to us with some more info, Good Luck!
TBA
Prince_of_Darkness
10/07/09 01:22 PM

Reactive protects against both missiles and ballistic weapons.
KitK
10/09/09 04:42 PM

If we are talking MechWarrior 4, and I recall correctly, Reflective reduces energy damage but increases ballistic damage. Reactive reduces ballistic damage but increases energy damage. Missiles do normal damage to all armor types and are countered by laser anti-missile systems, but not all mechs may be able to carry the system (I think the Argus is the example.).
PatrickLi
01/06/10 10:35 PM

mechpilot19 sed:
Quote:

According to the game, a 100% green armour bar equates to 20 tons of armour. Is this the maximum amount of protection, or does "over-armouring" actually work?

I assume that you're referring to the "Armor" bar in the MechLab of MechWarrior 4, when you're busy configuring mechs. I'm also going to assume that you're not using a MekTek MekPak expansion, which affects armor ratings.

If that is the case, then I trust that you already know how the bar is really just an indicator of a mech's overall damage protection and endurance, which is dependent on two simple things: 1) what mech you've chosen to configure, and 2) How much tonnage you've allocated to the mech as armor.

The only time when the bar will fill up to 100% green is when the mech you're configuring has 600 points worth of armor points. This will only be attainable with Ferro-Fibrous armor-- 20 tons of it in fact, as you've pointed out. Ferro-Fibrous armor is worth 30 points per ton, therefore 20 x 30 = 600 (100%). Only a 100 ton mech can support 20 tons of armor; in the case of the unmodified game, the Atlas.

If you had instead selected either Reactive or Reflective armor from the drop down menu for the Atlas, then the bar won't reach 100%, even if you allocate a full 20 tons worth of armor. Reactive/Reflective armor are only worth 20 points per ton, so with 20 tons you'd only get 400 points worth of protection. (Bar should only fill up to 66.67%)

Of course, mechs with tonnages lower than 100 tons won't be able to hold that much armor. The farthermost that the bar will go in that case simply reflects the fact that this lighter mech won't be as durable as the 100-ton Atlas... hopefully it's got better endurance in terms of speed

True, reactive or reflective armor may give additional protection to certain weapon types (as KitK has pointed out, thanks there ) But it's just the way the game gauges armor protection.

Tripod sed:
Quote:

In general I would think green meant 100% of the original armor was still pressent, not representing an ammount. Only the largest of mechs can support 20 tons of armor. I would think that as damage is taken and the fades to yellow or red or whatever color this game uses this would represent what % of the iriginal is left. Say yellow meant 75% to 50% orange 50% to 25% and red 25% or less. Again, this is just a guess... Get back to us with some more info, Good Luck!

Ah, I'm certain that Tripod's referring to the actual Damage Indicators that appear during gameplay (the actual shooting and running and jumping... or no jumping, whatever ). The colors there do indicate the rough percentage of the armor you allocated on the mech that now remains... but it also indicates the type of ARMOR/INTERNAL damage your mech has taken:

- Green: This part of the mech has taken no ARMOR damage, or next to no ARMOR damage (e.g. 1-2 points of damage)
- Yellow: This part has taken noticeable ARMOR damage, but still mild
- Orange: This part has taken significant ARMOR damage. Keep an eye on it
- Red: This part has taken heavy ARMOR damage. Not good!

- Flashing Crimson: All the ARMOR in this section has been stripped. Your internals have now taken damage. (Your mech will be listed as DAMAGED at end of mission)

And finally...

- Black: ARMOR and INTERNALs for this part are clean gone! (Your mech will be listed as CRIPPLED at end of mission)

Some of you may probably know this already, but if you want to get a good look at your damage indicators in game, "full-stop" on your keyboard changes your mech's damage indicator from Schematic to BarGraph... "comma" does same thing with enemy mech's damage indicator...
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10100

Contact Admins Sarna.net