MegaMek Question For Cyber

Pages: 1
Zandel_Corrin
02/16/10 07:25 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok so how do you set up a 'bot' on this thing?

Going to test it out.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
CYBRN4CR
02/16/10 08:57 AM

It's easy once you figure out how everything works.

I'll give you a run down (Yay! Feeling useful instead of stupid.)

First you click "start a new game," input your IGN as your name, include a password if you wish. Now as for the port number, unless you are good at configuring ports, I wouldn't touch it right away.

After that, you will be taken to a screen that will allow you to configure units. At the top there is a button that will allow you to configure a LOT of game options (like Tac Ops rules, AT2 rules, RPG rules etc). The big bold add a combat unit will allow you to chose from virtually ALL units and their variants (and even custom variants) ever known to Battletech. Don't take this too literally though. Just know that it has a very nice selection.

Or if you want a quick random army, use the random army generator. Helps me a bunch when picking mechs for my bots! I just set the low-high range for units, set year range, number of units, and the ruleset and boom! Instant army. You can even repeat the action without changing a thing for different results.

Once you have your forces selected, go up to the top and click "configure game." Down at the bottom near the camo colorbox is "Add bot."

You can add as many bots as you think your processor can handle, but I just stick to the size of the force I want to fight. Remember, only give your bots between 4-6 units to control or the game will take VERY long to process, even with a good processor.

Now if you know what size force you want, and added the appropriate bots, make SURE they are all on the same team by clicking on them under the "Player Setup" section. You can give all your bots (and yourself) the same color if you want by clicking on the camo box for each player/bot and setting it to what you want.

Once all that is done, be sure to create your map! Click on "edit/view map" and set your mapsize numbers. I usually play on a 3 x 3 board map as that is a pretty good size for a faceoff between large forces (I think). Then edit each board to what you want from the available selection of maps at the right. You can preview the map by selecting preview which will open up a tiny window showing the map. You won't be able to click it closed, but don't worry. It will close once you are done selecting/rotating your maps and click "okay."

Now the last thing to do is give your bots their mechs to control, in which you go back to the select units tab at the top, give them units of your choosing, or by using the random army option. Either way, be sure to look for a box next to "Player." There you can set which player/bot gets the units.

Once you are finished, double check everything! If everything looks good, click "I'm Done" and the game will start right away, starting with initiative, and depoyment phases. If you have artillery units, you will also be given a phase to select designated artillery targets before the game truly begins.

For repeat battles (especially for testing purposes) it's always best to save the game after every player has finished the deployment phase. Except bot on bot matches, in which case the game goes too fast to even save! I generally reserve those for 1 vs 1 battles to compare designs, and then go to the MegaMek folder and read/save the gamelog files to see what mech scored the winning shot, and how the game played out.

Now there are some handy commands for if one of your bots crap out on you mid game and you are impatient.

If I had six bots I was facing, the commands I would type in the dialogue box at the bottom would be:

/skip Bot1,Bot2,Bot3,Bot4,Bot5,Bot6 (it works for whichever bot is stuck so you can just arrow key up and enter it again)

and

/replacePlayer Bot1
/replacePlayer Bot2
/replacePlayer Bot3
/replacePlayer Bot4
/replacePlayer Bot5
/replacePlayer Bot6

for each bot to replace the crapped out bot with a fresh bot.

Now, honestly, I wish I didn't have to use these at all, but it happens a lot. I don't mind it too much, because this is as close as I can get to having a nice large scale Battletech battle at home.

Hope this helps!
Zandel_Corrin
02/19/10 09:48 PM

Finally got this thing working right.... has some glitches...

Units keep firing after target is destroyed and waste ammo.

Also you can get HULL BREACHES in depth 1 water!!!

all in all it seems ok....

Tried out one of the first battles i ever played vs clans... 1 clan star (Jade Falcons, 2 hit fox prime, stormcrow prime, nova A and summoner Prime) vs 2 3025 IS Lances (Whitworth, Centurion, Assassin, Dervish, Valkyrie, Commando, Javerlin, Wolfhound)

It ended as expected but when i fought this fight the clans came away MUCH worse for wear. This time the clan force lost a nova due to hull breach in D1 water (WTF?) but otherwise only armour damage.

I'll keep using this to play a bit but it's nothing like the real thing.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
CYBRN4CR
02/20/10 12:25 AM

Quote:

I'll keep using this to play a bit but it's nothing like the real thing.

Certainly, as Karagin repeatedly told me/us. It isn't perfect, but it helps somewhat. Certainly if I had the time and buddies to play the real thing it would be much better, but hey, I'll take what I can get for a bit of practice vs none at all.
Tripod
02/22/10 12:21 AM

Like a hull breach in your torso/arm when standing in depth 1 watter?
TBA
Zandel_Corrin
02/22/10 05:36 PM

Yeah like that... Personally i have never used the hull breach rules anyway... from what i've seen of battlemech construction fluff hull breaches shouldn't have that much effect.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Karagin
02/23/10 05:31 AM

Hull breaches should flood the effected section rendering it useless, as per the rules, fluff in this game is meaningless to game rules and mechanics or play.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Zandel_Corrin
02/23/10 06:06 PM

For tournaments i can go with that but when i play with friends stupid rules like that we don't even use.

I can kind of understand the logic behind that but then i consider space operations... wouldn't hull breaches effect space as well? if not why not? why does water effect a mech so badly but not 0 atmosphere?

And even IF I used and agreed with the hull breach rules... How does a 12 ish meter tall mech standing in 6 meter deep water (depth 1) that only goes to it's waist get it's torso (above water) filled WITH water?
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Tripod
03/10/10 05:05 AM

Hull breaches do apply in a 0 atmosphere.

Torso breaches when standing in level 1 water is just a megemek bug. It has been reported, right? Sounds like the game thinks your in 0 atmosphere all the time...
TBA
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 258 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8337

Contact Admins Sarna.net