Let's divide up into teams and...

Pages: 1
KitK
09/24/01 04:52 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Lots of designs out there. Do we ever get sick of looking at them though? How many get used?

Lets divide up into several teams, design a mech, or maybe a lance, as a team. Then play one big online, double blind, battle royal with our mechs.

I'm sure this isn't a new idea. But lots of us are new. So...

CrayModerator
09/24/01 08:16 PM

How do we start? Can we each pick a planet at a similar level of development and see who musters the largest army, or is it going to be something unrealistic like BV, tonnage, etc? My designs don't exactly emphasize max BV or firepower-per-ton, they're designed for mass production and economy.

Mike "Too Much Reality for Battletech" Miller

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
KitK
09/25/01 09:53 AM

I'm not sure. I imagine it could be a real head ache. I assumed someone who is really dedicated and knows all of the rules really well would have to volunteer to be the game master and also do all of the rolling/record keeping/refeeing. This job in itself is complicated and time consuming enough with out planets and economy and salvage etc. So I was thinking of using something more along the lines of the point system I use to create one small scale engagement with clone pilots. This would allow freedom of design and technology and still keep the teams pretty even. Biting off more than can be chewed on the first bite could ensure failure. Designers could communicate via email, this board, AIM, MSN etc. to get their mechs designed. Say 2 weeks. Then maps would have to be selected so everyone could track their battle progress and plan. The team would have to choose a captain to submit movements, targets and attacks, probably 1 time a week to get all the moves made with initiative and everything. The GM would have to make sure all the moves were legal and do the rolling. Then send the results back to the captain, who then disperses it to his team and they plan their next maneuver. Things could be posted here if people are interested in watching.

It's just kind of a wild hair idea. It takes a lot of commitment and time to get it to work. And if people can't get along and have fun it will just get ugly.

CrayModerator
09/25/01 09:59 AM

"This job in itself is complicated and time consuming enough with out planets and economy and salvage etc."

Hehe, I thought so, too. Alright, let me know what you settle on and, no, I'm not going to volunteer as GM. I was just curious.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
KitK
09/26/01 10:28 AM

I haven't done this on line or double blind either. I have Max Tech, The Master Rules and several Clan source books. The first two are probably more critical. I've heard of a revised master rules book though that might combine the two.

KitK
09/26/01 11:32 AM

I was thinking that teams of designers having to work together to come up with the mechs would be an interesting exercise. But there doesn't seem to be overwhelming support out here for it. So just to see how this thing will work lets just do it singles.

I will GM, being this was my idea. But there is one major problem. I have never played using anything but mechs, never used indirect fire or artillery, BAP, piloting rolls, initiative rolls, scenarios...we dumbed a lot of rules down for ease and speed. So I will have to learn this as I go.

We'll call this Operation Test Run and keep it simple to see how it goes. If I forget some factor below, let me know.

Maximum # of players: 4 I will take players by the order they posted to this thread. Cray, J_Marik and Burner have dibs on the first 3 slots if they want to play. Players, please make sure your email address, as listed in the Sarna.net user info, is valid.

Engagement Type: Four Way Free For All Fire Fight. Last mech/mechs standing win.

Terrain/Environment: FASA non-urban maps (TBA) with all the trees, hills and water; neutral temperature, gravity and atmosphere. There won’t be any jungles, bogs, snow, etc. at this point. The exact maps and their positions will be reveiled once I have them set up.

Combat rules: Level 3

Technology: Level 3

Force Composition: Any legal mech or combination of mechs not exceeding a total point value of 600 points. Points are assigned as follows: IS L1 weight * 5; IS L2 weight * 7; IS L3 weight * 9; Clan L2 weight * 10; Clan L3 weight * 12.

Pilots will be generic nobodies with gunnery of 4 and piloting of (I have to look this one up).

You do not have to design new mechs if you have tried and tested ones you would rather use.

Submit your mech force to me at cbs_kitk@hotmail.com 1 week from today. I use The Drawing Board 1.1.5 if you want to send the files. The game will start 2 weeks from today.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3366

Contact Admins Sarna.net