One Size Fits All AC

Pages: 1
CrayModerator
10/02/01 03:48 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Bob Richter's comment about an alternative explanation for ACs jogged my memory about a moment of sheer genius I experienced months back (Well, it seemed like genius to me. Shut up. Stop looking at me.)

CONCEPT:
The Variable Rate Rotary Autocannon (VRRAC or VRAC) uses a single, low caliber AC round at varying feed rates for different damage rates. The standardized ammo size is expected to simplify logistics considerably.

Essentially a 6-barrel rotary cannon with an electric ("chain gun") mechanism, this can spew ammo at whatever rate the drive motor operates the mechanism, within some limits (namely, when the barrel starts to melt). The gunner can rapidly select one of several preset rates of fire (2, 5, 10, or 20 rounds) or dial anything between 1 and 50 round bursts. Range is dependent on the rates of fire due to recoil. To minimize mass, the VRRAC was optimized to handle less recoil than it experiences at high rates of fire; accuracy (i.e. range) consequently drop at higher damage settings.

Because the VRRAC uses a relatively small shell (~1pt of damage per shell), the longer bursts tend to wander and spread damage. Compounded with climbing recoil, the VRRAC tends to inflict less damage than the burst setting would suggest.

The low caliber and some LB-X-derived materials make the VRRAC fairly compact for such a potentially powerful Inner Sphere weapon.

RULES:

Cost: As an Ultra AC/20.
Weight: 14 tons
Crits: 9 spaces
Heat: special
Damage: special
Shots/Ton: 100pts of damage

Each ton of ammo has 100 shells, or potentially 100 points of damage. (These 10kg shells are ~50mm, I think.)

At 1 round per burst, the VRRAC has a range of 1-12/13-14/25-36.
At 2-4 rounds per burst, the VRRAC has the range of a standard AC/2.
At 5-9 rounds per burst, the VRRAC has the range of a standard AC/5.
At 10-19 rpb, the VRRAC has the range of a standard AC/10.
At 20+ rpb, the VRRAC has the range of a standard AC/20.

Heat generated is the same as for the range class: fired with an AC/2 range, it generates the heat of an AC/2. Every multiple of 10 or fraction over the first 20 counts as another AC/10 burst for heat purposes. For example, firing 31-40 shells would generate 16 heat.

The 1 round burst generates no heat, making it useful for...for...well, I'm sure you can think of something. (The last time I posted this on rec.games.mecha, the only suggestion was "getting a Clanner's attention.")

Damage is applied in 10 point increments, similar to (but not the same as) LRM fire. Instead of finding out how many missiles hit and then breaking them up into 5pt groups (which you would do with LRMs), the VRRAC simply rolls to see how many 10pt groups hit...actually, similar to a hypothetical RAC/10. The widely varying firing rates complicates matters.

Divide the burst size by 10, rounding up. This indicates the appropriate column on the missiles hit chart to use. When rolling, apply the full 10pt groups first and then the fractions. 1-10 round bursts do not need to roll on the missile chart, just using the basic to-hit roll. With those guidelines in mind, bursts of 11-20 rounds would thus use the SRM 2 chart, first applying the 10pt group and then the remaining 1-10 rounds (if both halves hit.) 21-30 round bursts would use the...uh...SRM 3 column (SRM 6, result / 2, round down). 31-40 would use the SRM 4 column, and 41-50 would use the LRM 5 column.

Rates of fire can be changed without penalty between turns.

Mark off the shells from the 100 individually.

Only basic ammunition is available and the VRRAC is unlikely to ever be compatible with cluster ammo.

The VRRAC's wild hosing is not compatible with targeting computers.

GAME BALANCE
It's a bit more compact than an AC/20, lighter than an Ultra AC/20 which it can beat for damage...but the damage is in 10pt groupings, so it isn't a headchopper, and the 10pt groupings will rarely all hit. Even the 20 round burst gets broken up. Range is shorter than the new, advanced (LBX, UAC) autocannons except in the lethal 1pt firing mode.

Comments? Too complex? It just adds the step of missile hit charts to an AC, plus a little accounting complexity while allowing a gunner to tailor his weapon to the situation at hand.

--
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Bob_Richter
10/02/01 04:52 PM

Hrm. I like the concept. It has a couple of "unrealistic flat spots" as an old buddy of mine used to say, but then everything in Battletech does.

At least it makes more sense than an HGR.

I think I would make it compatible with a TC with recoil modifiers for targeted shots (all except for the lethal 1 point mode of course)

I might also look into different cluster sizes for different fire rates...

But I like it, overall. I will have to see if I can find the time to test it out (hm. Will fit well enough on a Victor chasis, or Hunckback....hrm.)

-Bob Richter
A dead primate is nobody's ancestor.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Nightward
10/03/01 12:20 AM

Stick it onto an Atlas in place of it's GR. You can go the 5 X 10 burst without heat, potentially kicking out 50 damage. oooh yeah.

This thing might also make the Lao Hu a useable 'Mech, if you stick it on in place of that whopping great LB-20 X. I think that thing had another 3 DHSs addead to the chassis, so you could whack them with 60 damage.

Mmmmm.....Squishlicious.

"The man who opens his mouth in the presence of a woman does so only to change feet"
-Me.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
CrayModerator
10/03/01 07:03 AM

The alternative cluster sizing was just to treat each burst as that many LRMs, but it took thought on which missile columns to use for the odd numbers (Burst size 33?)

Incompatibility with TC was just a balance mechanism. As the VRRAC is able to punch out 50pts of damage, it is the most damaging weapon in BT. However, recoil penalty suggestions are welcome.

In fact, any suggestions with hard numbers are welcome.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
NathanKell
10/03/01 02:20 PM

1. Above 20rds, snake-eyes jams?
2. Compatible with the -1 for TCs, but not the target-specific-location function. I mean, when you're spraying lead, you're *spraying*!
3. Roll to hit for each group of 10, with the second with a +1, the third with +2, etc. Then do the missile hits table, but roll on the next column (or give the MHT roll a bonus) treating results over the limit as "all".

-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3747

Contact Admins Sarna.net