MechWarrior: Online video game

Pages: 1
Nic JansmaAdministrator
10/31/11 09:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The MechWarrior: Online video game website launched today.

http://mwomercs.com/

Looks interesting! Can't wait to get an updated MechWarrior game.
Karagin
11/01/11 01:17 AM

It looks good, waiting to see if they stick to canon for the mechs or retcon in something else.

Would like to see it have more of a campaign style to it.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Prince_of_Darkness
11/26/11 01:48 AM

Nah, they'll stick to canon for the mechs. Hell, I think even the fights'll be canon-styled.
Draelren
12/11/11 08:37 PM

Can. Not. Wait.
Hythos
02/21/12 03:34 PM

My opinion:
Make it AT THE VERY LEAST, what we had in the original MechWarrior - with multi-player ability added: Ability to travel to nearly any plant of the IS. Minor ability to interact with the game, rather than just a massive FFA spawned through something like Battle.net (while that would have something interesting, I don't want ONLY that). Create an atmosphere where stats can increase, hire NPC's, and an ability to build a lance / company / larger(?). Provide some form of a story-line, if it's going to be anything of an MMO.

I do understand that this is just the beginning (and also that this isn't their official forums), but these are some details that I have wanted in a persistent non-player run environment - for about 20 years

What I would ultimately like to see, is a persistent BATTLETECH universe, within which we can interact with our pilots on foot, versus being restricted to a "FPS in Battelmechs".
CYBRN4CR
06/24/12 07:07 AM

Taking a look at their videos, I am extremely impressed with the work the MWO team put into the mechs, balancing, and mechbay. Variants actually look like they are supposed to (with their tweaks of course) and have focused weapon mounts like MW4:Mercs but customization rules like MW2:Mercs where it costs C-Bills every time you make changes. The maps, mechs, cockpits, and weapon effects look great and the fact they had the MW2 startup voice included in the hotdropping Atlas trailer sold me twice-over. Only MW Living Legends tops MWO because they have the full combined arms experience down with the best of Clan and IS tech and Duncan Fischer announcing their Solaris Matches.
Karagin
06/24/12 05:31 PM

See this is the part that I am not for. If you are going to allow customiztation of mechs, then either you need to force the player to start from the ground up or limit things on a weight class bases. Same for piloting a mech, a light mech pilot is not going to be the same in a heavy or medium etc...
Karagin

scheinlen
06/25/12 12:01 AM

Karagin, I got to agree with you on the Piloting skills... Unless a pilot or warrior is trained in a weight class, he or she should have a disadvantage. A assault mech pilot would have a want to wade in to combat more then he or she would if piloting a fast and lightly armored light scout mech. And the light mech pilot would be about drove MAD with a slow lumbering assault mech.
But, a weight change of one level would not be that bad one way or the other I believe.
It is not my job to judge my Enemies, that is there God's job. It is only my duty to arrange the meeting!
CYBRN4CR
06/25/12 04:36 PM

I don't know the specifics about how the MWO devs plan to start regular players out, but starting out with everything right away is not F2P kosher as it gives players nothing to work for. I predict they will give each player a starting level of C-bills (probably around 5 mil) to buy a starting mech and play around with the mechbay for a bit before having to join matches to earn C-bills and XP. XP will probably be used for rank restricted Star League or Clan equipment and mechs, which will have high price tags in C-bills, aggro, and limited battle endurance if they have XL engines. Man I'd love to see the face of players who pay for the XL engine hoping to be king on the battlefield only to then realize they gave themselves a huge Achilles heel. Especially since there is no respawn in matches, this will become apparent pretty quickly unless the player is REALLY good.

I look forward to its release.
Karagin
06/25/12 05:19 PM

I have noticed in the past that many of these games do the buy something extra for real money and gain in game items...that to me is not a good thing, yes I know these things take money to make and run, BUT allowing someone to buy stuff for X amount out side of the game and then rewarding them in the game lends to nothing more then a case of who is willing to dump money into the game to win.

As for the starting amounts in game, it should be simple enough to keep it honest and fun. I never did like the generic limits places on the MW2 and it's spin off games. Those of us who play the board game know that there are more then one way to build a mech and to arm it, yet the generic setup of the Computer games means we are limited to an extreme. Also on this note I think it needs to be kept to the weapons that are already in the game, not extra crap added just cause the folks running it want something cool. We have enough weapons and such that we don't need any more and considering 70% of the stuff goes unused normally...yeah that should say something to those who are settting things up.

The idea of the XL being a disadvantage is never really handled well. You don't go boom as fast as in the board game, then again that doesn't always happen in the board game either. I doubt very much that the damage system will follow standard BT for very long and will be adjusted to allow smooth play and fast combat times.
Karagin

Hythos
07/29/12 02:54 PM

I'm sure that by now, many of you are already in the Beta.

I hope you're having a blast!!!!!!!!! (Both litterally, and figuratively )
Prince_of_Darkness
08/13/12 11:07 AM

Quote:

I have noticed in the past that many of these games do the buy something extra for real money and gain in game items...that to me is not a good thing, yes I know these things take money to make and run, BUT allowing someone to buy stuff for X amount out side of the game and then rewarding them in the game lends to nothing more then a case of who is willing to dump money into the game to win.

That's capitalism (and the current gaming industry) for ya'.

Quote:

The idea of the XL being a disadvantage is never really handled well. You don't go boom as fast as in the board game, then again that doesn't always happen in the board game either. I doubt very much that the damage system will follow standard BT for very long and will be adjusted to allow smooth play and fast combat times.

Of course; if they didn't, casual players would soon find out that all you need to win is to get close and carry OMGWTF levels of medium lasers, just like in Mechwarrior 2.

The heat is harder to handle sure, but either way it would come down to that.

Edited by Prince_of_Darkness (08/13/12 11:07 AM)
Hythos
10/03/12 01:59 PM

The NDA has been lifted.
hansdark
10/04/22 03:22 PM

Hi! Thanks to recommend
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Frabby, BobTheZombie, Cray, Nic Jansma 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 13261

Contact Admins Sarna.net