planet positions in the wiki

Pages: 1
Claire
11/26/06 03:38 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi,

Just in case it isn't supposed to be that way... ;-)

I like these little images of the planets' neigborhood, but it seems to me someone switched left and right.

And in the text you're showing the x-coordinate twice instead of x and y.

Greetings,
Claire

PS: I'm new here, if I picked the wrong forum, please feel free to move me/my post elsewhere...
sdog
02/19/07 05:03 PM

Willkommen at Sarna.net!

I realised soon that the fun part of playing a military game is that we have lots of lifes and in the end knowone dies, ...

- Skaven, ArmA modding community
Nic JansmaAdministrator
03/04/07 07:03 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I'll check on this problem tomorrow.

Welcome!
-- NicJ
Neozero
01/21/10 10:33 PM

I would just like to point out that this is not the only error with the planetary listings. The Location of several of the planets are flat out wrong placing them in another factions domain. This is mostly found in the
Periphery, I have not confirmed inside the inner sphere but I am sure there are errors there if the
Periphery is also flawed.
Revanche
01/22/10 01:21 AM

Yeah, they have to be corrected by hand. So far, no one has wanted to be the one to do that. I've started with the 'A's, but still have 94 planets to go in that list alone and find my interest starting to wind down.

Would you be interested in fixing a specific set of them?
FrabbyModerator
01/22/10 12:53 PM

Well we have checked and found a few misplaced worlds, but it is not yet a proper project. The discussion is spread across several talk pages, most importantly my own.
Mind that the miniature maps were auto-generated when the wiki was started and are jpeg format, i.e. they do not change when planetary coords are corrected.

Might as well begin the list of wrong coordinates here (showing the correct coords):

X:-180.47 Y: 468.20 Götterdämmerung
X: 73.04 Y: -96.76 Hunan
X: -24.25 Y: 153.09 Sakhalin (Lyran world, not the CapCon world of the same name!)
X: 88.67 Y:-221.94 Scituate
X: 27.67 Y: 124.13 Yunnah

We only have actual X/Y coords for worlds in the old House Books afaik, so a lot of systems that were published/placed later will have coordinates that must be guessed from their map location. I strongly advocate marking guessed estimates as such, for example by adding "(est.)".

Also keep in mind that the IS Atlas is just a meta-source and contains errors. The original Sarna data was in fact taken from the IS Atlas, as were all errors contained within our data structure. Whenever you need to ascertain a system's coordinates, cite the original, canonical publication!
Hairbear541
06/22/14 02:20 PM

just a brief a side, oa/ra planet budlingen is completely missing its' jump coordinates. if youn could I would be interested in knowing what program you are using to generate the coordinates and is there one for generating a 3d map from the coodinates given. thanks for the brilliant work so far. fellow trivia and bt data geek.
FrabbyModerator
06/23/14 04:46 AM

System Coordinates in BattleTech are a can of worms.

There is no program to determine them, unfortunately. Worse, the published coordinates from the old housebooks have expressly been ruled inaccurate.
There is now a master map (maintained by CGL's map guy Øystein Tvedten) and this is now the authoritative source; however, it hasn't been published and it, or at least the portions that have been published in various products, doesn't come with coordinates.

What we've been doing here on the Sarna.net BattleTechWiki is extrapolate 2d system coordinates from maps in recent publications in a manual process, literally counting down pixels. This effort was headed by user VoltAmpere, and I suggest you contact him here or over at the official BattleTech forum.

See also article "BattleTechWiki:System coordinates" on this site's wiki section for more info. (Sorry, cannot post a link.)

Oh, and a 3-d map? Tall order. I'm loathe to say it's impossible, but a lot of people have failed in this in the past already. Z-axis distance doesn't seem to count towards jump range considerations; the jump map remains a 2-d affair.
It gets worse when you attempt to correlate the location of real existing star systems with their BT counterparts. The BT starmap was sloppily created from a real star catalogue that was transcribed to a 2-d map using a faulty formula (producing fairly random results at times, an effect that gets worse the further out from Sol a given system is) and then a large number of fictional systems were added in on top of this.

Edited by Frabby (06/23/14 04:53 AM)
skiltao
06/23/14 02:01 PM

Quote:
The BT starmap was sloppily created from a real star catalogue that was transcribed to a 2-d map using a faulty formula

When I located a 1989 Astronomy textbook, it had errors as large as those on the BattleTech map.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10823

Contact Admins Sarna.net