3D Boards

Pages: 1
Happy Birthday Drasnighta
04/23/15 11:32 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Well, I have the startings of a Major Campaign being played here. So, to really help people along, I wanted to do something nice and set up some 3D Terrain.

We're playing pure Classic BattleTech, with all of its foibles and details, including a full swath of salvaging and repair rules... (No quick-play here!)

Unfortunately, the terrain we have for our other Wargaming isn't quite up to snuff, and we've never liked the seeming compromise of Miniature rules for BattleTech.

The Solution?

Make the Map Boards themselves 3D!

These are going to be almost exact reproductions, including depressions for depths.... There is only a couple of compromises I've had to make:

Depth 2 is the minimum. I've set "Level 0" terrain at 2 inches high, just to save on materials.

Board Hexes are larger.

The Boards themselves will be 17x14, rather than 17x15 - simply deleting the last row... This was done mostly so the boards would Interlock on their own, without the half-hex difficulties.

I've only started making up them as I go at the moment. I have plans in progress for both Woods and Water - the Hexes are large enough that I should be able to place small scale trees around the edges and still have room for a BattleMech to stand on its own basing hex in the middle.

BUT, here's the Progress so far.

CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
ghostrider
04/23/15 12:00 PM

well not sure if they are to scale, but if you want to save money on evergreen trees with snow on it, buy the christmas ones when they go on sale after christmas. There are a few that might work, and last year I picked up a package of like 8 for a buck. Gonna use it with my ho train set.
04/23/15 12:10 PM

I got a package of Woodland Scenics tree armatures (117 per pack). More than half of them are smaller, closer to the Z Scale... As well as some larger ones. The biggest ones I can trim side branches off and make taller timber from them, as well.

There will be permanent tree pieces mounted on the edge of the wood hexes, as well as 'drop in' pieces in the middle to fill them out. When your 'mech goes into the woods, you just pull the middle piece out and put the 'mech there instead... That way, it does some proper LOS blocking feel, but there's always woods there too, so you can see where there's a 'mech in woods.

1:286 scale Buildings were harder, but I managed to get a quartet of houses that essentially fill a hex... I think I'll be forced to cut foam buildings for anything larger.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
04/27/15 07:11 PM

Two year old has been a Terror recently, so the hobby is Locked away and I only get to do either Hobby or Chores while he's napping... So only a little progress.

But "BattleTech" has all elevations done now... Need a solid weekend so I can mark hexes and get a sandcoat down.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
05/08/15 06:50 PM

No Sandcoat as of yet. Weather changes have stopped me being able to work outside, so super-messy has to wait...

Instead, the whole Mixed Battalion that will form the "Defending" Side, being a mockup of the 4th Donegal Guards.

Includes the start of their Infantry Support, too.

Aerospace not shown, as the Invading Clansmen have achieved Air Dominance by the time our Mini-Campaign Starts.

'tis a Thumbnail, as the full picture gets cut off, like the others.

CEO Heretic BattleMechs.

Edited by Drasnighta (05/08/15 06:51 PM)
05/15/15 07:57 PM

More Progress!

(L) River Delta
(C) Rolling Hills
(R) BattleTech
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7426

Contact Admins Sarna.net