New Taurian Warhammer

Pages: 1
Deathshadow
10/26/01 03:32 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I've been kicking around the idea for some time that the periphery's problem with using endo steel could come from the fact that it's bulkier by weight, and as such would not be easily integrated to their assembly lines, unless you made the overall mech lighter allowing them to fit the existing jigs. This is my first attempt and came out rather nicely, having the added bonus of being cheaper than the 3025 original by 263,784 C-bills.

WHM-9T Warhammer
Tonnage: 60
Chassis: StarCorp 100
Power Plant: Warner 240
Cruising Speed: 43
Maximum Speed: 64.5
Jump Jets: none
Jump Capacity: none
Armor: Durallex Super Medium Ferro-Fibrous with CASE
Armament:
2 Magna Firestar ER PPCs
2 Diverse Optics ER Medium Lasers
2 SperryBrowning Machine Guns
3 Hovertec Streak SRM-2s
Manufacturer: Taurus Territorial Industries
Primary Factory: Taurus
Communications System: O/P 3000 COMSET
Targeting and Tracking System: O/P 1500 ARB
Cost: 5,807,200 C-Bills
BV: 1,233

Overview:
With the recent technological aid from the Capellan Confederation and Word of Blake, as well as the large influx of funds from the sales of older mech designs to mercenary forces within the Inner Sphere, Taurus Territorial has begun a program of uprating several of their mech production lines. While most of the technologies have proven simple to integrate, the use of Endo Steel in chassis construction has proven most difficult as parts manufactured from it end up significantly larger. Keeper Garret, a designer at TTI came up with an unusual proposal. By manufacturing a lighter mech at the same size as it's conventional counterpart, it should be possible to make an improved mech on the existing lines, while the use of a lighter engine could in fact reduce the overall cost. Intrigued, TTI's board of directors gave Garret approval to convert one Warhammer production line to prove his theory.

Capabilities:
While a full ten tons lighter than the original, the use of double heat sinks, endo steel, extended range weapons and additional armor has resulted in a mech far surpassing it's predecessor. Fourteen double heat sinks allows it's pilots to fire both PPC's for three continuous cycles before heat becomes a concern, while close in the unit can cycle off a single PPC to allow the use of all of it's other weapons. The trio of Hovertec Streak 2-racks imported from the Capellan Confederation give increased ammunition conservation over the classic six launcher. The use of the three individual two-racks instead of a single six rack has raised some eyebrows, however with the only source of Streak technology available to the Concordat being House Liao's Hovertec site the decision was purely one of convenience than preference. All ammunition bays on the design have been moved into the right torso to be protected by the CASE system, which combined with it's two additional tons of armor give the unit remarkable survivability.

Deployment:
The first three production models are retained by TTI for use in evaluation and testing, while so far all other units produced are being delivered to mercenaries all over the Inner Sphere and Periphery. Production is being stepped up due to a large number of pre-orders from mercenary units, for whom the familiarity of control combined with the low cost access to new technology make a perfect match.

Known Variants:
The documentation for the Hovertec racks say that if you turn all of the mounting brackets upside-down they have mounting holes that exactly fit the six rack made by Guided technologies, and the control cable has both style connectors, making the change simple for most technicians. Targeting drivers are included in the O/P computer's optical backup in the /be/other/hardware/gtech directory, and may be installed simply by moving them to the /be/device/targeting directory and restarting the targeting services from the devices panel. The feeder mechanism for the ammo bin has likewise been designed to allow several of it’s parts to be moved making the conversion an easy one. Many mercenaries have made use of this option for the lower heat built by the six rack, while others retain the smaller racks for the more consistent firing pattern.
Another version has been fielded by Joan's Grenadiers replaces the ER Medium Lasers with a pair of Anti-personnel pods and an additional pair of Machine Guns, making the unit a formidable urban fighter.

WHM-9T Warhammer
Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 2
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: - Endo Steel 3
Engine: 240 11.5
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 14(28) - Double 4
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 192 12
Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 20 30
Center Torso(rear) 9
R/L Torso 14 22
R/L Torso(rear) 6
R/L Arm 10 20
R/L Leg 14 24
Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
ER PPC LA 3 7
ER Medium Laser LT 1 1
ER Medium Laser RT 1 1
Machine Gun Ammo (1/2 ton) RT 1 0.5
Streak SRM 2 RT 1 1.5
Streak SRM 2 RT 1 1.5
Streak SRM 2 RT 1 1.5
Streak SRM 2 Ammo RT 1 1
CASE RT 1 0.5
ER PPC RA 3 7
Machine Gun CT 1 0.5
Machine Gun CT 1 0.5

Armor? Bah, that's for wussies. - Anonymous Locust-1M Pilot

Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
realworldviews
10/26/01 10:13 AM

A smaller , cheaper, and maybe even better Warhammer.
What will they think of next.
I like it, I will have to try that in one of my games.

Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
CrayModerator
10/26/01 11:20 AM

>they lack the ORBITAL FACILITIES needed to make endo-steel...endo-steel needs zero (or near zero)-g to be manufactured...

I'm still trying to figure out why endo-steel needs zero-G. I suspect it has to do with chemical segregation.

But, to address your comment, you should've read the fluff on the mini-Warhammer a little closer. Specifically, "With the recent technological aid from the Capellan Confederation and Word of Blake..."

Clearly, the Taurian Concordat now has more endosteel production capacity. The US passed around research nuclear reactors as technological aids in Africa during the Cold War; obviously here Cappies and WoBblies gave the Taurians the gear for a(nother) endosteel smelting facility.

Such a change to the BT setting is the point to complain about, not whether or not the Taurians could make the stuff.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
10/26/01 01:04 PM

>but my point is, the source material says that the Capellans have been very stingy with giving new tech to the Taurians, moreso than the Canopians.

Then it was the WoBblies. They help the FWL recover warships and giving advanced military technology to a Periphery nation would certainly help their goals of destablizing human space.

>I would imagine this would especially apply to endo-steel, as building orbital facilities is a considerable investment...

From a real life perspective, I'd have to ask "why are orbital facilities expensive"? Dropship operating costs are measured in a few hundred C-bills of fuel per burn-day and a bit more for crew salaries. A Mule can fit any blast furnace I know of into its hold, in terms of tonnage and volume. When you have that kind of launch capacity, you could build an orbital factory out of boiler plate and cast iron and still launch it in one piece.

Mike Miller Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Deathshadow
10/26/01 11:55 PM

Actually I was thinking perhaps not manufacturing the material, just milling and tooling it. While Zero-G is needed to manufacture it, that doesn't mean once it's made you can't make stuff out of it. Kind of like the Czech's use of 750 Krupp steel pre WWII (bought from the germans bulk, tooled in country).

Although how stingy can they be, since they shared STEALTH ARMOR!!!

Armor? Bah, that's for wussies. - Anonymous Locust-1M Pilot
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2602

Contact Admins Sarna.net