3D Printing Mechs

Pages: 1
Firestarter
07/17/15 08:36 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Has anyone seen or thought of the idea of 3D printing the minis instead of buying them for a crapload of money?

I do understand that 3D printing is expensive but it could be an alternative method of gaining minis.

So anyone willing to give their 2 cents on this topic?
Firestarter
07/18/15 12:51 AM

Another thought I had is that you might be able to take the 3D models from MWO and print them. Which would also be awesome.
ghostrider
07/18/15 03:08 AM

bumped the heritic mech in the design thread. Info there.
Drasnighta
07/18/15 11:04 AM

It *really* depends what you've got to deal with.

I have a vast collection of 3D models to use with this - and not just MWO, even older files that have been converted and drawn for 3d painting operations... BUT, the trick is, they're copyright.

EVEN if you weren't doing so for commercial purposes, reproduction is most often illegal when done by commercial means. Which means you will be legally indemnifying anyone doing it for you - that if they get any reprisal, you take full and absolute responsibility.

Which is why I was focusing full and formost on my own 'Mech designs.

Second of all, in the rate of concerns, is the actual 3D printing technology that you use... My first printings were fairly cheap ($1 + 16c/gram), but came with very obvious 'knitting' texture... There are other printers with other ways, but of course, they are more expensive - ideally, you'd like a system similar to what Shapeways uses with their Frosted Ultra Detail - but again, expensive.

It is an emergent technology, and if you're just after some plastic figures, they certainly are cheaper than buying the metal ones.

But - certainly at this pint in time - they'll lack the Quality of a good Ral Partha or Iron Wind metal sculpt...
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Firestarter
07/18/15 12:42 PM

Even for personal use?
Man that sucks.
Drasnighta
07/18/15 01:32 PM

Its a fine line, to be sure.

"Technically illegal" comes up a lot... It depends on, as I said, who you have to do it.

If you're just slamming away on your own 3D Printer, go for your life. Its just, essentially, who is going to be asking the questions on where you got the file from.

3D printing in my area is very limited - and the one non-commercial option I have is my Local University, who, as you can imagine, are -very- tough on copyright infringement, plagarism, and such... Being, y'know, a Major university.

Honestly, I think there are some people on Shapeways who have already uploaded 'mech designs from MWO and such - which gives you some hope that you can get away with it.......

but, "technically" illegal most of the time.

Just like copying DVDs. Or Recording things on Television...
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Firestarter
07/18/15 02:02 PM

Yeah, I mean what if you came up with your own 3D design and used it on your own printer. Would allowing other people to use your design be illegal?
Drasnighta
07/18/15 04:11 PM

Absolutely not, as if you make your own design, its your work, and its up to you how far and wide it can be dispersed.

It is only questionable on wether you are using:

a) Official designs.

b) Unofficial designs made by others. (without their express permission)

c) Your own designs that draw on design features in a major way, of the above.
Firestarter
07/18/15 05:48 PM

So someone could make their own design based on an official one and that wouldn't have any problems?

I mean enough so that it wouldn't be like the whole mess FASA got into.
Drasnighta
07/18/15 05:53 PM

Its the option of the 3 that's the most open to interpretation.

Although, to give you my understanding of it, as relayed to me from the Dean of Engineering, essentially...

"If someone can look at the design and pick a component of it, and say, 'That's mine'... You're in the potential for a world of hurt... Unless you can point out to the precedence where its used absolutely everywhere else... To use an in-universe example: If your 'mech design had arms similar to the Timberwolf, down to the Elongated Hex shaped weapons pod, you would be in trouble... But if it were simple a long generic "gun" barrel with an underslung smaller "gun"... You would not be. To protect you, and to protect the University, we say know if there's any question of it."

(Yes, he is a player of Classic BTech.)
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Drasnighta
07/18/15 05:54 PM

As a note, I am no expert on Copywrite law, and nor do I have any aspirations of being one.

I've settled to drawing my own designs from scratch and then attempting to get them printed... Which, honestly, has been SO MUCH MORE DIFFICULT than anticipated... Despite how cheap an attempt is.

I know as well, that what I can do, and what I can get away with, will also be completely different to someone else.... So I play it safe.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 11015

Contact Admins Sarna.net