possible reality of mechs

Pages: 1
ghostrider
11/04/15 12:06 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
and akira has pointed out the subject was moving away from crew sizes and it is interesting to see how people think about mechs and reality. So to prevent threadjacking further, start a new thread.

Once technology catches up some more, I can see mechs becoming a reality. We got robots and odd ball machines doing alot now, war doesn't seem to far off for something like this. The one unit (the only one I know of) that is available for sale right now only fires bb's. The armor is nothing spectacular yet, but then it was not really made for going into terrorist territories and wiping them out. It looks to be more of proof on concept for the rich to play with then anything else.

I can see them being developed for exploration before war but the need for a moving drone that can cover rough terrain might trump the exploration. Sending a unit that walks instead of using wheels are tracks would allow us to see say mars better. The rovers we have are good, but very limited.
With a walking unit, it could automatically right itself. Technically it could jump as well, but only like a human as jump jets may not be a good thing at this time. A bug style unit would be more stable and be able to climb grades a wheeled unit could not even attempt.

And I will almost guarantee there are some units like that doing recon even now. Able to hide thru camoflague or something close to moving so slowly, no one pays attention to it. Setting it up with a weapon wouldn't be that difficult, but showing the world it is there changes the game. Flying drones were used in recon for a while. They only came into the news when they put missiles on them to attack targets.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2970

Contact Admins Sarna.net