Under Attack?

Pages: 1
Akirapryde2006
11/04/15 01:12 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Is it me? or is Sarna Net under attack by bots?
BobTheZombieModerator
11/04/15 02:12 PM

Yeah, I think that the spambot filter needs to be updated, because lots of them are getting past. Sorry that you guys have to see it.
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
Akirapryde2006
11/04/15 03:35 PM

Quote:
BobTheZombie writes:

Yeah, I think that the spambot filter needs to be updated, because lots of them are getting past. Sorry that you guys have to see it.

Might I suggest a means to correct this issue?

The solution is in the form of a simple question.

Do my a favor, take a short trip over to my web page called, Orlando Gamers. Create an account and look at our question.

Before we created this question, we had big issues with bot attacks. It was nerve-racking.

I don't know if this simple solution will help the situation that Sanra net faces, but at least its something.

Akira
BobTheZombieModerator
11/04/15 06:39 PM

So you mean simply ask a security question like that? I could tell nic about it and get back to you... We definitely need to do something soon...
ghostrider
11/04/15 09:13 PM

Been sending a message to cray when I see them.

Don't worry too much about us seeing them. It happens. Just nice they aren't around long.

I have think someone programmed the response into them like someone that is upset with the forums here.

And the site is being hit with the bots. Looking like someone just starting out with them. Now if they start posting about the two headed woman, then you have a good idea of who is doing it.
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/05/15 09:01 AM

I've added some very basic protection against the SPAM attacks we're seeing. I'll keep an eye on it.
-- NicJ
Akirapryde2006
11/05/15 06:18 PM

Hey listen,

I wanted to say, as a Admin on my own site (no its not as assume or as big as Sarna), I understand the pressures that a full scale Bot Attack can have on you guys.

I wanted to take a moment and express my complete appreciation for the work that you guys (the Admins) do.

Akira
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/05/15 09:35 PM

Thanks Akira The moderators have also been especially helpful!
-- NicJ
ghostrider
11/06/15 01:17 PM

Guess the exta protection didn't work. 1106BrendaLync looks to be yet another one of the bots. Left a message for Cray, though wondering if I should leave one for the other mods as well.

Sad that someone has to be a total **** and do this. But then I am sure some of the old neveron people where worse. I know I pushed the limits a few times.

Still. Atleast they are gone rather quickly.
Akirapryde2006
11/06/15 05:19 PM

If someone is actually creating the bots to invade Sarna Net, than no measure of protection will work. Instead we are going to have to focus on finding out who is behind the attacks. As much as I hate to even utter this, referring this person to the authorities.

Akira
BobTheZombieModerator
11/06/15 07:15 PM

Couldn't we block IP addresses? That would slow them down if they're all coming from one spot.
Karagin
11/06/15 07:47 PM

For someone to actively go after the site would mean a personal vendetta against either Nic or the folks here. Given that, I doubt anyone one is that immature to do so, I think it's more of bots and the fact that one or two made it through and so more keep trying.

Best thing to do is block IP addresses, yes that means some folks are cut off but it would stop the acts since most are more then likely coming from Eastern European IP or Mainland Asia.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
11/06/15 09:30 PM

The permaban person is one such that might be doing this.
And you forget some of the people that played neveron have threatened things like this.
There is one thing you may have missed. Some people do things because they can or for the hell of it.

I don't know if other battle tech boards are being hit, or if it's just spamming anything it comes across. Hell, it is possible, they are after one person and they posted a link to here.
From the sounds of it, it isn't one ip doing it. Granted that doesn't mean they are not using an ip scrambler, or maybe some of the people on the boards didn't get a trojan in there system.

And the sad part is, this is something getting more attention then the rest of the board.
I do agree it's crappy someone is doing it.
CrayModerator
11/07/15 03:51 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Guess the exta protection didn't work. 1106BrendaLync looks to be yet another one of the bots. Left a message for Cray, though wondering if I should leave one for the other mods as well.

My recommendation is to use the notification button on posts, not send a PM. I don't get an email alert when someone PMs me and I only check in once a day or so, but hitting the notification button lights up the clouds with Mod Signal searchlight. And sends me an email.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (11/07/15 03:51 PM)
ghostrider
11/07/15 04:52 PM

sad thing is I don't know which ones they are. Is it the snail mail letter looking one in the same area as the edit button is?
I don't play around with things I don't know what they are, so I am a bit ignorant of a few things.

How sad. Been here a while and still don't know all the commands.
ghostrider
11/09/15 08:20 PM

Ok. So it is the flag looking thing for the ping.
Car1olynhose was just sent like that, so now I can see if it works.
Still looks like a statement of .com in there.
CrayModerator
11/09/15 09:52 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Ok. So it is the flag looking thing for the ping.

Yep. The flag-looking icon in the bottom right corner.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
BobTheZombieModerator
11/10/15 12:46 AM

Yeah, all the mods get that alert when you click the flag. Thanks for taking care of it this time Cray
Karagin
11/14/15 09:49 AM

So what is up with the random nonsense of the Japanese like code attacks?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
11/14/15 10:10 AM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

So what is up with the random nonsense of the Japanese like code attacks?

I don't know. But this house is cleah!

At least this time.

Edited by Cray (11/14/15 10:11 AM)
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/14/15 10:13 AM

OK, the code I had put in before to block the SPAM wasn't actually working. This time, I've made sure "those types" of posts won't work. Let's hope to stems the flow.

I've also banned the most recent user's IP.

The flag button is a big help, thanks everyone.
-- NicJ
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10489

Contact Admins Sarna.net