Concepts to Printed Page

Pages: 1
Akirapryde2006
03/21/16 12:02 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have a simple question and I am wondering what will come of this question.

Is there a way for a design, concept, technology, or story arc to go from this forum, to a canon printed page?

With the question spoken, I want to add, there could be no better way of honoring a member than to have their work carried on in to canon. This is why that question is so important to me.

Akira
FrabbyModerator
03/21/16 04:53 AM

The chances are slim.
For legal reasons, Catalyst will not accept any submissions that have been published elsewhere. Putting a story, design or anything really up on a forum is basically guaranteed to prevent it from ever being canonized.
Akirapryde2006
03/22/16 10:53 AM

I can't tell you how disappointing that is.

I know other gaming publishing companies (such as TSR's AD&D) had a method for players to contribute to the game that they are investing in.

Might I suggest a conversation with your legal team regarding this. I am not saying it would be something easily to set up. However it would greatly increase the level of creativity across the game.

By limiting creativity in such a way can only hurt the game.

On the flip side, I can understand why such a view was created.
ghostrider
03/22/16 12:31 PM

With the sue society prevaillant in the United States, this is not shocking.
And not just from the side of the artist.
It is possible that something as simple as input from someone that isn't in the agreement could open up a law suit.

And akira. To my knowledge, the only one on this web site that has any real access to the developers is Cray. I believe he is more of a technical advisor then anything, but he can confirm, deny, tell me to shut the hell up since I don't know for sure.
So a conversation with 'your' legal team will do nothing but cost them money, as catalyst in not involved with this site like that. You would have to get in touch with Catalyst themselves.

With stories, I can see why they would not want to publish it, as who would pay for a book when they could read it online?
Though it does bring up a question of our asking questions. If they parallel some developments going on now, does that make it less likely they can continue that, with this concept in place?

They may be able to send you to the person you need to talk with in catalyst to even get an official answer.

I agree about one thing. It is sad that the game may be limited to some new ideas due to others asking about them.
Akirapryde2006
03/22/16 01:56 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

With the sue society prevaillant in the United States, this is not shocking.
And not just from the side of the artist.
It is possible that something as simple as input from someone that isn't in the agreement could open up a law suit.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t deny that there is reason behind the possible ban. I just find it sad that our society has reached this point.

Quote:
ghostrider writes:
And akira. To my knowledge, the only one on this web site that has any real access to the developers is Cray. I believe he is more of a technical advisor then anything, but he can confirm, deny, tell me to shut the hell up since I don't know for sure.
So a conversation with 'your' legal team will do nothing but cost them money, as catalyst in not involved with this site like that. You would have to get in touch with Catalyst themselves.

I don’t know why I have this opinion, but for some reason I am always left with the impression that this site has more link (clearly an illusion) with Catalyst games themselves.

Quote:
ghostrider writes:
With stories, I can see why they would not want to publish it, as who would pay for a book when they could read it online?
Though it does bring up a question of our asking questions. If they parallel some developments going on now, does that make it less likely they can continue that, with this concept in place?

They may be able to send you to the person you need to talk with in catalyst to even get an official answer.

I agree about one thing. It is sad that the game may be limited to some new ideas due to others asking about them.

I know that some people think it is about money, and don’t get me wrong money is nice. But for me, I cannot think of a better way to honor a devoted player by canonizing their work. TSR had a program where there was this direct link between game developers and their players via Dragon and Dungeon Magazines. I was too young to ever really take part in either, and now it seems like it is nearly impossible to get that kind of inroad with the game developers.

I hope that Cray makes his way here.

Cray, could you possibly comment on this?

Akira
ghostrider
03/22/16 03:29 PM

Actually Nic would be able to answer just how much of a link the site has to catalyst.

I didn't think you were misinformed. I don't know everything, but from what I do know, I was hoping to answer some questions before it got to far. Catalyst is the key to getting the proper answers. Even if Cray does tell you some things, it may be countered by the people at Catalyst.

And for all I know, this is the main site the developers come to. I have seen things to suggest most never visit this board, but it is possible they come here alot, but don't make their presence known.

It would be nice to know if others beside cray have access to the canon source in catalyst.
My impressions are the wiki people just deal with the wiki and are not part of catalyst. It would not be surprising if I am completely wrong.

But it is nice to know about the possibility of anything said here making it's way into the canon rules. It would help show they do take into account their players feedback.
But even acknowledging any of it might be an issue. A third hand account of a house rule could be where they have the legal issues. But only Catalyst can say wiether they would accept it or not.
Nic JansmaAdministrator
03/23/16 10:27 AM

For full disclosure, there's no official link between Catalyst Game Labs and Sarna.

However, I do personally work closely with the CGL team on several issues, notably helping run their webserver and doing web development work for the CGL websites (on a contract basis) from time to time.

I've been told that CGL employees and contractors sometimes use Sarna for reference material, which I think is wonderful

I've heard the same thing that Frabby has said, that CGL will only use CGL-created designs for legal reasons, though I've never verified this with them.
-- NicJ
KamikazeJohnson
03/23/16 09:19 PM

Quote:
Frabby writes:

The chances are slim.
For legal reasons, Catalyst will not accept any submissions that have been published elsewhere. Putting a story, design or anything really up on a forum is basically guaranteed to prevent it from ever being canonized.

Hmmm...so that explains why most of the canon 'Mech designs suck...pretty much every good combination has been posted somewhere by someone, they're stuck with whatever setup no one else has bothered to post
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Akirapryde2006
03/24/16 07:26 PM

Quote:
KamikazeJohnson writes:

Quote:
Frabby writes:

The chances are slim.

Hmmm...so that explains why most of the canon 'Mech designs suck...pretty much every good combination has been posted somewhere by someone, they're stuck with whatever setup no one else has bothered to post

I can't truthfully say one way or the other as I am just getting back in to the canon books. There is a lot for me to get caught up on. I am reading through the main design books now.

My next big steps are for the Jihad period.

Still, some kind of community input on designs, concepts and rules might be a good idea. As I said, TSR did it with really good success. Some short player adventures were pretty fun. Sure there were others that were simply stupid.

It sounds to me like Catalyst is concerned (rightfully mind you) about another nasty law suite that FASA had to deal with over their Robotech designs. I don't know if there is a legal way around that fear to allow for what is being suggested. However it is still really sad that as a player since the 90's, I know that I will never have any real input in to the game I love.

Akira
FrabbyModerator
03/24/16 08:31 PM

There is one primary venue for outsider "input", and that is BattleCorps. You can submit short stories there and if they are accepted and published then they become fully canonical.

BattleCorps is, however, only looking for (good) stories. They are not looking for designs or input on rules, nor are they at this time interested in further scenario submissions, ship profiles, stable reports, or unit digests.

Then there's also the theoretical possibility of pestering Randall Bills or another higher-up at CGL with summaries of your work and the suggestion to solicit a submission from you. (Unsolicited submissions are a bad idea.)
Karagin
03/24/16 08:55 PM

To bad magazines like Battletechnology and others have died off...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7004

Contact Admins Sarna.net