Engine heat sinks optional?

Pages: 1
zazq
07/21/17 01:58 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Mechs get some crit free heat sinks based on engine rateing. A 275 engine gets 11.

Question: must that 11th sink be crit free or can I mount it as crit bait? How about the other 10? Can I pull them out of the engine if I want to?
CrayModerator
07/21/17 08:11 PM

Nope, its mandatory to mount all possible heat sinks in the engine. Interesting idea, though.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
07/22/17 01:53 AM

Ok. I think the question needs a little refining.
the first 10 sinks are free with the engine, and anything above needs to be paid for.
The free criticals for the engine, ie the 275 getting 11, means the first 10, plus one extra does not need to be placed in critical spots. The weight still needs to be put into the unit.
And those under the 250 rating, like the 225 would still get 10 free, but only 9 would have their criticals covered by the engine.

Though I do think it would be nice to know why you would want to pull them out of the engine. Well other then to overheat the unit to use tsm. The novels suggest you can shut some down, but the actually older rules don't really say you can.

And to further define Crays statement, all that the engine can hide are mandatory for the engine.

While writing this, I could see one incidence on why you might want to remove some sinks. A small engine machine gun mech might use enough criticals for the mgs and need the room. Not likely, but possible.
CrayModerator
07/22/17 04:18 PM

Quote:
Though I do think it would be nice to know why you would want to pull them out of the engine.

As crit sponges. The more gear you have to take critical hits, the fewer times ammo and gyros and engines get hit. Sort of like Car Wars' armored beer refrigerators.

However, any heat sinks you CAN mount in the engine MUST go in the engine. BT doesn't have any good ABRs.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Akalabeth
07/22/17 06:36 PM

Quote:

Though I do think it would be nice to know why you would want to pull them out of the engine. Well other then to overheat the unit to use tsm. The novels suggest you can shut some down, but the actually older rules don't really say you can.

He doesn't want to pull them from the mech, we just wants to take them out of the engine and put them in the general hit table. To understand why, look at the side torso of a Crusader 3R or the Left Torso of a Marauder 3R. One critical in the location, ammunition. Imagine if you could pull 5 heat sinks out of the engine and put it in there, now instead of a 100% chance of exploding the first crit you get, it's only a 17% chance.
Daedster
07/23/17 04:15 AM

This was a deliberate move by FASA, originally. Deliberate weaknesses in canon designs.
ghostrider
07/23/17 04:22 AM

Almost any mech with ammo is a problem with explosions.
I didn't think along the lines of filling crits. It sounds to me to be on the verge of spite doing that. But that is my opinion.

Then again, alot of the mechs I see have the issue of not enough crits for what they want in the mechs.
Guess too many custom mechs.

Posted this originally before the last person had theirs up.
Being deliberate weaknesses for the mechs doesn't sound right. This sounds more like people doing everything they can to get that advantage.
The min/max concept comes to mind.
I dislike the idea, but then if the players in the group are happy with it, then that is what matters.

Edited by ghostrider (07/23/17 04:25 AM)
csadn
07/26/17 03:20 AM

Quote:

As crit sponges. The more gear you have to take critical hits, the fewer times ammo and gyros and engines get hit. Sort of like Car Wars' armored beer refrigerators.

Which is why ABRs, as well as any other "damage sinks", are verboten in arenas.... >;)

"Ah, Mike -- so close, and yet, so not...."
[Dr. Clayton Forrester, _Mystery Science Theater 3000_]
CF

Oregon: The "Outworlds Alliance" of the United States of America
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5569

Contact Admins Sarna.net