quiestion on aerospace fighters using Arrow IV missiles

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
11/08/17 06:32 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I am finding little on the rules when it comes to aerospace fighters using Arrow IV missiles.

Can aerospace fighters using Arrow IV missiles in outer space against dropships and warships as if they where capital missiles?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
11/09/17 05:01 PM

Quote:
I am finding little on the rules when it comes to aerospace fighters using Arrow IV missiles.

Can aerospace fighters using Arrow IV missiles in outer space against dropships and warships as if they where capital missiles?

No. Regardless of the fluff description as a missile, Arrow IV munitions play by artillery rules, not capital missile rules. The ways you can use Arrow IVs in space include:

1) You don't. Standard artillery, including Arrow IV, is not functional in space and may only be fired from landed units. (The shells are so slow they'd barely cross 1 space hex per turn.) Per p. 284 TacOps, some exceptions exist for firing artillery off the ground, but not in space.

2) You can carry unguided Arrow IV munitions as bombs on fighter hardpoints (see p. 239 Total Warfare and p. 359 Tactical Operations - see "Air Launched Arrow IV") and use them for "space bombing" rules (p. 116 StratOps). Space bombing is ineffective, though, and easy for any WarShip to dodge.

3) Best Option: You use the new weapons from Tactical Operations that (in fluff only) are derived from Arrow IV munitions, called the Air-to-Air Arrow IV (p. 357), "Anti-Ship Missiles" (p. 358), and Anti-Ship Electronic Warfare Missiles (p. 358).

Stock Arrow IVs can't even fire in space. But you can get some use out of their munitions and grandchildren.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
11/09/17 08:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:

3) Best Option: You use the new weapons from Tactical Operations that (in fluff only) are derived from Arrow IV munitions, called the Air-to-Air Arrow IV (p. 357), "Anti-Ship Missiles" (p. 358), and Anti-Ship Electronic Warfare Missiles (p. 358).

I dont own Tactical Operations so I cant look the rules up.

I found this here on sarna http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anti-Ship_Missile Under game rules it dont give all that much information. Is the range the same as capital missiles? I am guessing that they do 2 capital damage points. Do they automatically have a chance of doing a crit as true capital missiles do and if so what is it?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
11/10/17 04:57 PM

Quote:
I found this here on sarna http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anti-Ship_Missile Under game rules it dont give all that much information. Is the range the same as capital missiles?

They have a Long (capital) aerospace range.

Quote:
I am guessing that they do 2 capital damage points.

3, actually.

Quote:
Do they automatically have a chance of doing a crit as true capital missiles do and if so what is it?

Yes, see below.

Game Rules: Bulky, because of their booster engines, Anti-Ship Missiles take up 6 bomb slots per missile when mounted on an external hardpoint (and are unavailable for use by standard Arrow IV launchers). Anti-Ship Missiles function in the same fashion as an Air-to-Air Arrow Missile (see p. 357), with the following exceptions:

• When an AS Missile delivers a successful attack, it inflicts 3 points of capital-scale damage (30 standard-scale damage) to the target’s armor; in addition, the Attacker rolls for a penetrating critical hit as a Barracuda missile.

• AS Missiles suffer a +4 to-hit modifier against any unit lighter than 500 tons, and may not target ground units weighing 100 tons or less. Against targets 500 tons and up (or against buildings, Mobile Structures and terrain hexes), the AS Missile suffers no such modifier.

• AS Missiles may only be used by units traveling in space, or at Altitude 3 or higher on the Low-Altitude Map.

• Anti-Ship Missiles are aff ected by Point Defense systems in the same manner as Capital Missiles.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3853

Contact Admins Sarna.net