Heat: 12
Damage: 40
Minimum Range: N/A
Short Range: 3 Hexes / 90 Meters
Medium Range: 5 Hexes / 150 Meters
Long Range: 6 Hexes / 180 Meters
Ammunition Per Ton: 3
Notes:
- Automatically roll for a Critical Hit on a successful hit.
- Ignore the damage reducing properties of special armor types such as Hardened Armor, Ferro Lamellar, etc.
- Double penalties from moving targets.
Autocannon 40
You may choose only one
Heck yeah!
Why? Just why?

Votes accepted from (05/09/18 03:01 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ATN082268
05/09/18 09:22 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
If I was going to come up with an Inner Sphere AC/40, it would look roughly like this:

Tonnage: 18
Critical: 12

Short: 1-2
Medium: 3-4
Long: 5-6

Heat: 12
Damage: 40

Ammo: 3/ ton

Cost: 500,000 (weapon)
20,000 (ammo/ton)

Battle Value (BV): 300 (weapon)
35 (ammo/ton)

I don't feel the need for special rules for this weapon but if you do add some, please don't add too many
ghostrider
05/09/18 01:30 PM

The excessive recoil might be better to penalize any additional shots. The instant critical in the location it is at is a little much.
Though maybe roll and anything above an 8 would cause the crit, if you wanted to keep it in. Maybe make it a little higher, like a 10+.

The crit on a hit. Is that like the armor piercing ammo for ac's or something different?

I would suggest upping the amount for ammo, as it is experimental, and not likely to have much on the markets yet. Same with the weapon.

Now can this be used in vehicles? Since they don't track ballistic heat, this may be an issue.
Also towers comes to mind. This would make a great weapon for guarding the enterance to a weapons factory.
And that isn't even asking about pairing up units for this sort of duty.

Also. If it explodes, the ammo does 50 points per shot left? 40? 30?
Not sure about decreasing power with range, as most cannons don't have that issue, but being experimental, might be workable for that excuse.
AmaroqStarwind
05/09/18 01:48 PM

Okay, @ATN0826.
- Automatic Critical Hit on a successful hit, and ignores special armor types.
- Double penalties from moving targets.

Sorry, I just get carried away with special rules because some of them are just too hilarious not to use, like a weapon being so heavy that you can't use physical enhancements to make it easier to aim.

@ghostrider
Variable Damage: It's the Heavy Gauss Rifle problem. Damage drops off as range increases because of how aerodynamically unsound that huge projectile is. The extra ten damage at close range is just kinetic energy doing its thing.
On successful hit: The automatic crit on a successful hit could be considered a –4 Target Modifier on all through-armor critical hit rolls, or simply a +4 bonus to the roll.
Ignoring Special Armor: Not even Ferro Lamellar could protect you against a bullet that big. There is just too much inertia behind it.

@Both of you: There aren't actually any restrictions onto what types of units can use it, but please don't put it on any super tanks. That would actually terrify me.

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (05/09/18 01:58 PM)
ghostrider
05/09/18 02:14 PM

Terrify you? Why?
Movement would be no more then maybe 3 without a super charger. It would be much better to use gauss rifles. Much better range, weight, heat, shots.

Granted, this would make a very nasty surprise coming over a hill towards the enemy's command bunker, and find out they have some hidden in the cliffs pointed at your back.
Retry
05/09/18 02:32 PM

Gotta agree here, range brackets shorter than a Medium Laser doesn't mesh well with ATNmobiles.
Akalabeth
05/09/18 03:45 PM

I would never use this just based on how many special rules it has. You should have at most 2-3 special rules, not SEVENTEEN!

Also I would require this weapon to use 14 critical slots. That will limit's use to very specific circumstances which explains why it's not being used everywhere.
Retry
05/09/18 09:07 PM

That too. Even for a joke weapon, that's an absolutely absurd amount of rules for one weapon system that don't actually serve much of a purpose or make sense.

Why does this decrease walking MP by -1 when the Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle is heavier, just as large, and yet doesn't have that limitation?

Why the pod-mounting restriction? I could pod-mount a Long Tom Artillery Piece on an Ares for crying out loud.
AmaroqStarwind
05/09/18 09:35 PM

I suppose you missed my subsequent post where I removed most of the special rules...

Retry
05/09/18 10:01 PM

Quote:
I suppose you missed my subsequent post where I removed most of the special rules...

You edited it after my post, so yes I did.
ghostrider
05/09/18 10:17 PM

The pod mounting might be based on the IS ONLY portion of the design.

Unless they serious changed the clans, I doubt this ersl range having weapon would be something that appeals to the clanners that love their long range weapons for fighting. Much like having the c3. So I would think it would be a waste of resources for the clans to even touch this.

Now with the removal of most of the restrictions, does it still do the 50/40/30 damage?
Retry
05/09/18 10:56 PM

Quote:
The pod mounting might be based on the IS ONLY portion of the design.

Unless they serious changed the clans, I doubt this ersl range having weapon would be something that appeals to the clanners that love their long range weapons for fighting. Much like having the c3. So I would think it would be a waste of resources for the clans to even touch this.

The IS have Omnivehicles and Omnimechs too. See the Owens (Battlemech) and Bolla (Wheeled stealth tank).
ATN082268
05/10/18 08:40 AM

Quote:
Terrify you? Why?
Movement would be no more then maybe 3 without a super charger. It would be much better to use gauss rifles. Much better range, weight, heat, shots.

I agree the Gauss Rifle is a better all around weapon than a AC/40. Although it depends a little on the final stats of the weapon, you could mount an AC/40 on a 100 ton 'Mech or tracked vehicle and still have 3/5 movement. In general though, the AC/40 would perform the best in constricted areas like a city and might even be useful on slow platforms (like 1/2 or 2/3) in those environments. I haven't crunched the numbers but you might be able to shoehorn the AC/40 on a hovercraft although you'd probably only have that weapon and not much ammo but it would make the weapon more useful in general.
Karagin
05/10/18 10:58 AM

Did they base something for the Clans off of one of the naval autocannons?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
05/10/18 04:30 PM

The omni mechs for the IS is not as prevailent as it is in the clans. As this is experimental, putting it in a pod seems premature. As I do not have the information on the newest pods for the IS, I am basing this next statement off the clans models. They are all considered to have case built into them. This negates the ability for the non case ability of the weapon.

Now as no one has suggested otherwise, the ability to make a pod with a unit that requires multiple locations seems legal, this can not be used as an argument against putting it in such. Just wanted to make sure it was known this was thought about.

As for naval weapons, I believe the naval gauss was based on the normal gauss rifle. Is that what you were thinking of?

I knew of IS omnis as there was like 8 or so in the last of the books I bought. The vehicles? Well that may have been done before the clans invaded, as the Dragoons had the Plainsman hovercraft. The fluff suggested the variants may have been done in the field, which would suggest omni capable. Only hints..
AmaroqStarwind
05/11/18 01:12 AM

A lot of my special rules and restrictions in my initial post for the AC/40 were really just arbitrary ones due to its immense size and weight, plus I just thought it would be funny. I didn't think everyone would get so hung up on it.

Akalabeth
05/14/18 04:41 AM

I think double penalties for moving targets makes the thing pretty much useless. Particularly when you factor in the fact with a range that low, the mech carrying it will need to be moving as well. Against a 5/8 mover with a +3 mod you're talking 12s to hit at short range, not that a 5/8 mover should ever get inside your close range anyway.

Instead, what you could do is inverse the ranging, so instead of 3/5/6 you could have 1/3/6

Also don't know about rolling for the critical automatically. Isn't it going to normally break armour anyway? Very very few units are going to have 40 armour in a single location, we're talking only the biggest of the big. Also I'm not really one for special rules- I think Battletech has too many of them already.

BUT- instead, maybe you could say that if a unit is cored by an AC/40 hit, it is treated as if destroyed by artillery and is considered totally destroyed for salvage purposes.

Not super useful in a game but might have some "hell yeah that's cool" factor, to sell the power of it. Or maybe it does some minor area of effect damage, like 5 in the same hex- or maybe 5 in the same and 2 in all surrounding hexes like the shrapnel or concussive force of the explosion.
Retry
05/14/18 10:47 AM

An AC/40 would core most common stuff, with the exception of very well armored heavy, assault and superheavy tanks, some to-hit locations of the heaviest normal assault 'Mechs (CT and legs), and the superheavy 'Mechs. Though no one really uses them except sometimes in campaigns, large naval vessels like the Luftenburg Carrier can withstand multiple hits from an AC/40. Heavier Aerofighters probably could, Small craft probably could, almost any Dropship could and Warships definitely could. But then, an AC/40 auto-critting a Leviathan would be rather weird.
AmaroqStarwind
05/14/18 12:01 PM

Maybe by some fluke, it hits the main bridge.

That said, alright... I guess I will remove all the special rules... And perhaps give it a Short Range of 6, but a Medium and Long range of 0. It can't fire further than 180 meters, but the target will always technically be in Short Range.

If there was an LB-40X, though, it would probably be ignored due to the existence of the HAG-40. Similarly, the regular AC/40 can be igndored by the Clans because of both the HAG-40 and Ultra AC/20.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10037

Contact Admins Sarna.net