Question: Is the "Argo" legal? (new Battletech computer game)

Pages: 1
happyguy49
05/09/18 07:19 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The subject is the reason for the post. I'm playing the new game by Harebrained, it is quite good IMHO. There is something in it that is rule breaky or bendy that ISN'T in the mech combat (in that, there are a fair amount of deviations from classic tabletop rules, but artistic license and all..)

Specifically, near the beginning of the storyline of the campaign, you acquire a Star League era "ship", the Argo, that becomes your merc units new home (you keep your old Leopard class). Odd thing is though, the Argo carries along your old Leopard attached to it externally, even when docking with a Jumpship. Is this rules-kosher? If not, what else could they do in the game to make it so? Could a large dropship (the Argo is supposed to be 100,000 tons or so) contain a much smaller dropship such as a Leopard internally, like a giant shuttle, if it had enough cargo tonnage?

The Argo seems more like a portable space station (it can't land on a planet) but it can daisy chain other dropships attached to its own docking collars. That or it is like a civilian 'warship' but without its own KF drive.
Retry
05/09/18 08:40 PM

It's a dropship with docking hardpoints for other dropships, which is illegal in the current construction rules.

The Argo is also fluffed to have a Grav Deck. Don't know if that's allowed for dropships either, but probably not.

With that said, there's actually quite a few canon designs that violate the construction rules and still exist (Most would be found in XTRO:Boondoggles). Basically all of them were failed prototypes for one reason or another, though some were semi-functional. So even if it violates the construction rules it can still be canonized.
AmaroqStarwind
05/09/18 09:32 PM

Except like all computer games, the latest BattleTech computer game is not canon, and will never be canon. Yes, even despite previous statements to the contrary, because nothing was ever confirmed and it is unlikely that they ever will confirm it.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Retry
05/09/18 10:06 PM

"And will never be canon" is a bit strong and I have every intention of never letting you forget this if the Argo is canonized.
Karagin
05/10/18 01:46 AM

Let's look at things from the computer games...Yes they do eventually make it into the board/miniatures game, hell the mechs from MW3 and MW4 made it as did some of the silly weapons eventually. So saying they will never make it is a bit of an absolute that can come back to bite you.

As for does the stuff from the new COMPUTER game need to be in the normal game, NO it does not.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Retry
05/10/18 10:47 AM

I think the original plan was to canonize the new game's story arc. Not sure if that changed or if it's still in the works.
Karagin
05/10/18 10:56 AM

Let's hope they leave some of the stuff out, they didn't bring everything forward from the other console games or computer games, so let's see if we get new variants or mechs only like is the norm or a couple of new characters like we did from Crescent Hawks.
Karagin

Retry
05/10/18 11:01 AM

Quote:
Let's hope they leave some of the stuff out

What stuff do you want left out?

The story arc plotline in general? The Argo itself?
AmaroqStarwind
05/10/18 02:51 PM

Well, if I'm not mistaken, then MechAssault 2 lead to the Raptor II, the Void Signature System and the Interface Cockpit.

ghostrider
05/10/18 04:20 PM

The enhanced neural interface? That was the cartoon battle tech, dealing with Adam Steiner and the Summerset Strikers during the clan invasion.

Some things that need to be leave out is the idea of piggy backing dropships to a jumpship. That whole concept changes how many jumpships are needed to transport units. Part of what keeps the large scale invasions down. Even being able to move dropships docked together outside of tugs needs to be kept out as well.
Granted refiguring fuel burn times isn't that bad, but most will use a one for one, and not add in penalties for one set of thrusters moving two ships. Trying to keep it from spinning would be necessary.

Without further information, it sounds like the Argo is a Mammoth dropship, but from the video I seen of the game, it is not shaped at all like it. It may be one of the dropships made after the the clan invasion, so I don't have them to reference to.

The internal bay may be an option. The Leopard could very well fit into a modified Mammoth, as the weight, length, width, and height could be accomidated.
Maurer
05/10/18 05:04 PM

If the rules for the construction of a monitor are used for the Argo, than the ship should seem legal rule wise. I can see it being called a dropship since it is for civilian use and to distinguish it from being a military vessel.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
Karagin
05/11/18 12:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Let's hope they leave some of the stuff out

What stuff do you want left out?

The story arc plotline in general? The Argo itself?

Story arc is normally what is left out for the most part, minus a few cool parts that get some kind of mention, really I think they should be focused on the miniatures/board game and pushing that but then again TPTB seem to know what's best since BT is SO hot and just flying off the shelves at hobby stores and online sales are SO out pacing other similar games.
Karagin

AmaroqStarwind
05/11/18 01:03 AM

Maybe what we need is a BattleTech series on Netflix that covers the Amaris Coup. That would attract a lot of people to the BattleTech franchise.

A movie covering the Clan Invasion would be pretty awesome as well.

starfox1701
05/11/18 01:27 AM

From what I've seen the intention is for the Argo to be cannon. She is a one of a kind prototype dropship from 2766. It was designed to function as a new colony support ship. Essentially she is a mobile starport that masses 100000 tons but is nearly defenseless. And she can daisy chain smaller Dropships on jumpships. No she isn't legal yet but I expect that to change.
Karagin
05/11/18 10:28 AM

Quote:
Maybe what we need is a BattleTech series on Netflix that covers the Amaris Coup. That would attract a lot of people to the BattleTech franchise.

A movie covering the Clan Invasion would be pretty awesome as well.

While that would be fun, I am not sure that is the best answer for the game.
Karagin

Karagin
05/11/18 10:28 AM

Quote:
From what I've seen the intention is for the Argo to be cannon. She is a one of a kind prototype dropship from 2766. It was designed to function as a new colony support ship. Essentially she is a mobile starport that masses 100000 tons but is nearly defenseless. And she can daisy chain smaller Dropships on jumpships. No she isn't legal yet but I expect that to change.

So all it is a super jumpship...yawn.
Karagin

AmaroqStarwind
05/11/18 10:38 AM

It is not a JumpShip, though, because it doesn't have a KF Drive.

I still don't think they will make the Argo legal, though. They explicitly chose not to make Monitors legal because they didn't want JumpShips to become obsolete... Except that Monitors cannot travel between star systems, but KF Drives have no tactical use in combat beyond a last-minute telefrag.

wolfcannon
07/31/19 10:47 AM

well the Argo is now Canon.
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Bravo Trinary
Alpha Star
Star Captain James Sword
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7848

Contact Admins Sarna.net