Gundam / Exo Squad - as an alternate Realm

Pages: 1
Requiem
05/09/18 08:33 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
If you are looking or an alternate universe to be integrated into the Battletech Universe may I suggest either Gundam (the early series like 0079, war in the pocket etc) or Exo Force (Change their Exo Suits to Proto Mechs / Elemental Armour) though you still end up with only two sides attacking each other ….

Though it would be relatively simple to convert Gundam over … you just need a consensus, such as, that a beam rifle is a PPC etc – though you would need a new rule for their Beam Sabres and Battletech has shields so all good there.

Once consensus is reached you can then build your Gundam - consensus required again as to the tonnage (may I say 60tons) et al and then happy gaming ....

Sig Zeon or Earth Force ….. your choice

The same goes for Exo Squad and their E-frames

Though you should limit the number of worlds to that of just the Terran Hegemony as you only have two / three sides operating at any one time.

Requiem
Adelaide, Australia
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
wolf_lord_30
05/09/18 02:36 PM

If you ever get around to doing something with the E-Frames, you should post it. It was actually a decent plot, even if they could take on ships a little too well. Regardless, it was enjoyable and the E-Frames had some good designs.
Requiem
05/10/18 05:07 AM

How about this for start -

All Battlemechs' tonnage is divided by ten (so a 100 ton 'Mech becomes a 10 ton E-frame) same armour / weapons etc

We then need to add a new critical slots (CT/RTR/LTR) for their "flight" (jump) packs - advanced communication - space survival gear and wings for those that have wings etc. Then we just need to allow for a new sheet (Item / Tonnage etc) for these items to be established and incorporated for construction purposes. Thus you may also need to remove some weapon items or incorporate the flight into the engine critical slots as a way of getting it up and running.

Also jump will now be needed to be converted to "Fly" for distance purposes

and Heat is no longer considered a problem.

Also you will need to give the Neos better piloting / gunnery due to their genetic heritage (same as the clans)

Thus for example -
Bronskies E-Frame is the Longbow
Marcarla's E-Frame is the Marauder (though minus the A/C 5 to add the dual cockpit)

so all 45 to 100 ton 'Mechs can become an E-Frames whereas 0 to 40 ton 'Mechs become suits that the ground infantry wear (just remember to change / add the jet pack critical slots)

As for the damage an E-Frame can do to a warship - just transfer the same damage points that they can do to another "E-Frame" ('Mech) to that of a warship.

Quick and easy - then we go back to basics print out sheets of e-frames fold them like the old fist gen. cardboard mechs and run it as per normal rules.

What do you think?

Requium
Adelaide, Australia
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
iosman001
05/27/20 01:24 PM

Actually, I have to wonder...

Protoculture was always described as establishing a symbiotic relationship with the operator and their mech, but what is the protoculture getting out of the arrangement? Thanks
ghostrider
05/28/20 04:09 AM

If you want to be sinister, the protoculture absorbs some of the persons memories or DNA or something like that.
Maybe it is just looking for some thing to focus,

But I think they don't mean the protoculture gains anything, but it describes the 'bonding' of the pilot to the mecha.
I guess a possible example is, it is a major neural helm, as it changes the pilot from controlling a robot, to actually feeling like it is a part of him.
The driving part is much like driving a car. You just use the controls, yet not really feel thru it.
Wrangler
04/13/21 09:35 AM

Frankly, i rather know how it was done via Macross verse Robotech's organic/telepathic plants. That was all fluff with the Robotech side of the house. I rather know how mechanically its done, not everyone was wearing helmet when their flying their Valkyries and so forth. look at the Flying variable monster.
When it hits the fan, make sure your locked, loaded, and ready to go!
Dmon
06/27/21 04:01 PM

BT is that deep I think one of the major issues facing any crossover is that most other universes are a bit light on content in comparison or worse... Go the MCU route and literally have no internal consistency.
AmaroqStarwind
10/09/21 03:41 AM

Luna Titanium is just Endo Steel. Change my mind.
Also, I'm pretty sure BattleTech history is secretly full of Newtypes.
And for you Gundam + Robotech fans, protoculture may as well be "concentrated essence of Newtype thoughtwaves" or some other nonsense.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

By the way, I have actually been off-and-on trying to develop Robotech/BattleTech and Gundam/BattleTech crossovers, basing them on the idea that it's all actually just different timelines within the same universe. Even considering a multi-cross, where the three settings kinda collide.

The difficulty with that, though, is that you'd need to be really careful with how you write things like Minovsky particles, aliens, Protoculture, Newtypes, and so on into the BattleTech universe without it coming off as being forced in. You'd need the introduction of those concepts to be believable within the context of the BattleTech setting. (I mean, you could probably rewrite the events of the earlier Gundam anime/manga as taking place out in the Deep Periphery during the Star League era or something, hence why nobody in the Inner Sphere knows about it.)

You still need to ask yourself important questions though. For instance, why did it take so long to develop BattleMechs in the "main" timeline compared to the development of Mobile Suits in the "Universal Century" timeline? What major events were so different that caused the two timelines to diverge so drastically?

When it comes to Robotech though, I think the major nexus event (fork in the timeline) would be the arrival of Zor's battlefortress: In the BattleTech timeline, he got the coordinates wrong, and so it missed Earth by a few hundred lightyears.

"But why are they using such primitive weapons?!"

Thus, with no SDF on Earth/Terra, there's no Protoculture and no Robotechnology. The downside is that Humans have much slower technological development, and don't have anywhere near as many global cease-fires... But the upside is that aliens never have a reason to come knocking on humanity's doorstep.

That means that humans in the BattleTech timeline wouldn't ever encounter the Invid (Inbit), Zentraedi, Sentinels, Hadonites or Robotech Masters (Tyrolians?) until some hapless Explorer Corps JumpShip comes across the wreck of Zor's battlefortress out in the Deep Periphery.

ComStar and the NAIS should proceed with extreme caution, because who knows who/what may be watching.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
AmaroqStarwind
10/09/21 12:29 PM

By the way, I'm sorry for kinda hijacking the thread...

ghostrider
10/09/21 01:45 PM

Are you trying to get the tech up to the others? Or have a new faction join the game?

Getting the tech up could be something as simple as research breaking thru on some of the weapons, such as the ERPPC being merged with the Capacitor, and opening up the Particle Projection Beam. The biggest thing would be the unlimited ammo for the ACs, though not sure which cannon would become the impact cannon. The engine 'fuel' would be a little more difficult, though the standard deep in the periphery, the source is found.
The Steiner arena shielding technology could be expanded by a breakthru allowing it to be used in a non static location.
Targeting systems would be the biggest issue with this, as Battletechs range bites. The impact cannons alone are 2k. Missiles are even worse for targeting.

If trying to get other factions, borrow the concept of Star Trek quadrants, and just have the others based in a region that is that far out.
There is also no reason why a second world could not be called Earth. The concept of the RWR forces fleeing the SLDF comes to mind here. They fled like the SLDF, only in a different direction and settled down on a new world, and in their arrogance, called it Terra. You could use the TC going the other way as well.
I would say clan Wolverine could be used, but they seem to have been accounted for with Comstars history. But a split in their ranks could have allowed some to keep heading out and leave the IS behind.

Another concept could be a misjump, where the ship and crew find the protoculture and equipment. As much as I hate the WOB Jihad, their super jump range could well have a single ship misjump that dramatically. Even using the TA or SL timeline could have this happen as well.
AmaroqStarwind
10/16/21 02:12 AM

Using my three-way crossover (Gundam, Robotech and BattleTech) headcanon that protoculture is basically a Newtype plant, that also means that Invid would be able to detect Newtypes regardless of what equipment they are(n't) using. While Scott Bernard could just turn off his LAM and energy sidearm, Amuro Ray would probably be detected even on foot if he so much as had a panic attack... Which he probably would in the midst of an alien invasion.

EDIT: Also, I forgot what TC and TA stand for... *nervous laughter*
To answer your first question, ghostrider, I'm kinda trying to do a mix of uplifting Inner Sphere tech and adding new factions. I'd probably go with the former for smaller technological jumps, and the latter for "Mother of Kerensky... WE'VE FOUND ALIENS".

As a joke, when the players first see the record sheet of a Zentraedi mech, all of the critical components will just be labeled as "This Looks Important", as the technology is just so different that they can't tell what's the engine and what's everything else.
+–+–+–+–+
Player: "YES, A CRIT!"
GM: "Okay, so... You can't nail down any specifics, but judging by how the enemy mech is now acting, you've definitely hit something important."

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (10/16/21 02:28 AM)
ghostrider
10/16/21 12:56 PM

I don't know much about Gundam, but do know a little about Robotech. A few things need to be resolved in order to even try. The first is armor. SD verse MD for instance. Mega damage armor is not affected by Standard damage weapons so infantry using rifles would never harm an MD armored unit. This also affects weapons, as Mega damage weapons do so much more damage to normal structures. The Particle Beam Cannon doing 50+ damage is over 500 standard damage to things like normal buildings and such.
Weight is yet another big one. The Robotech units being far lighter then Battletech, and being far more superior is another huge problem. The lightest Mecha has 208 armor points on the main body, which means the Veritech fighter is has as much armor as a Crusader, even though it is under 20 tons. 19.5 tons if I recall right.
The Raider verse the Rifleman shows the issue well.
The lack of heat for the weapons is yet another issue, as well as being able to fire the same weapon multiple times, with rounds being 15 seconds verse BT 10 second rounds.
The missiles and volleys of them are another hurdle.
The range of the weapons are a problem that is difficult to overcome, as Robotech units are able to fight in space far better then BT could dream of. Ranges being Battlespace style distances.
The to hit rolls are in a class by themselves.
The concept of the Shielding technology is one of the hardest to deal with.
Most of the rest can be nerfed into BT concepts, with a few things being a little harder then others.
Although, LAMs would definitely benefit from this cross over.

One suggestion for introducing Proto-culture is having some found on a world outside the main area of the battle, like some farm plants growing on the other side of a hill, that the farmer decides is not worth the effort to gather, so just leaves it alone.
AmaroqStarwind
10/16/21 06:15 PM

Quote:
I don't know much about Gundam, but do know a little about Robotech. A few things need to be resolved in order to even try. The first is armor. SD verse MD for instance.

Ah yes, Palladium's Robotech RPG. I miss that game.

Regarding all of the numbers and stuff, like weapon ranges, the mass of a battlemech, etc... I'd fudge the heck out of it for balance and internal consistency. As for energy shields, the April Fool's splatbook Welcome to the Nebula California actually sort of has rules for them. They can absorb a certain amount of damage, but only from energy weapons, and you take heat to recharge. It also produces heat to simply run them.

Now things like Zentraedi foot soldiers and Invid mechs... That is where things get really complicated in my opinion.

As for the protoculture stuff, I have something else in mind~
Quote:
While research and development has been inconclusive on how to effectively utilize the local flora for anything practical, the some of the residents of the research outpost have found 'recreational' uses. I'm pretty sure that means people figured out how to get high off the pink flowers.

According to some of the [dubiously canon] Robotech (and Mospeada) lore, the Invid are so aggressive towards anyone using or stealing protoculture specifically because it is a precious resource to them, and it is very easy to weaponize. That makes me think that when the Invid catch somebody using protoculture purely to get high, they might instead be like "Hey, this human has something in common with us. Can we keep them?"

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (10/16/21 06:36 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8240

Contact Admins Sarna.net