Total Heat Sinks: 7 standard 0.00
Fuel & Fuel Pumps: 43.4 days 0.00
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters: 0.00
Armor Type: (12 total armor pts) (+1) 1.50

Standard Scale Armor Pts
Fore: 4
Left/Right 4/4
Aft: 4

This station is unmanned there is no space for a permanent crew. This is basically a large fuel tank put in some out of the way place where ships can stop for a refueling. These tanks don't have any engines or use any fuel they are left to obit some planet, moon, or very large asteroid. They can also be put on the surface of a smaller asteroid. These are most commonly used by fighters on long patrols or put in some out of the way strategic location so defending ships can refuel with out having to go to a base that might have been taken over or destroyed. Since there is no crew the crew of the ship that is docking with the refueling station has to fuel their own ship. Fighter pilots have to do a EVA to refuel their fighter.
Cargo 2,000 tons of hydrogen fuel 2,040.00
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
05/15/18 07:53 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
If you added a fighter bay, you could reasonably claim it had an automated docking and refueling system rather than having the pilot EVA to do it.

Otherwise, I like the idea.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
05/16/18 12:37 AM

I would suggest upping the armor on it, as almost any crash into it would destroy the station.

One stupid question. What provides the power for the pumps? Solar?
Funny suggestion would be having the ship that is fueling have to put a power cord to run it.
But I agree. It is an interesting idea.
Great for hidden bases in system. No one could figure out where it is from calculations of fuel used flying around.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/16/18 05:46 AM

Quote:
If you added a fighter bay, you could reasonably claim it had an automated docking and refueling system rather than having the pilot EVA to do it.

Otherwise, I like the idea.

I like the idea of a fighter bay. Thanks!
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
05/16/18 05:50 AM

Quote:
I would suggest upping the armor on it, as almost any crash into it would destroy the station.

One stupid question. What provides the power for the pumps? Solar?
Funny suggestion would be having the ship that is fueling have to put a power cord to run it.
But I agree. It is an interesting idea.
Great for hidden bases in system. No one could figure out where it is from calculations of fuel used flying around.

Well either that or a personal fusion reactor that is just big enough to power the fuel pumps. Or the pumps can be powered by the docked ship that is being refueled.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
AmaroqStarwind
05/16/18 12:45 PM

Multiple sources of power would provide a fallback in a variety of scenarios. A small fusion engine, solar power, or yes, being powered by the connected ship.

Also, the station needs to have some form of "Thanks for stopping by!" sign.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
05/16/18 01:19 PM

Thanks for stopping by..

BOOOM!

Personal fusion reactor is not something I have access to rules for, so didn't really know they existed.

Might be a good basis for an automated one for refueling stations at jump points. Not risk stations buy sending this out. And yes, I know there have been others presented here that do that.
CrayModerator
05/16/18 05:34 PM

Quote:
Well either that or a personal fusion reactor that is just big enough to power the fuel pumps. Or the pumps can be powered by the docked ship that is being refueled.

Technically, any space station is supposed to have a station keeping engine, if you're sticking rigidly to the construction rules.

Whether you do or don't add the station keeping drive, some power source (on the scale of at least a 10-rated fusion engine) would be useful. Hydrogen is hard to store as a liquid even in space since it's boiling point is so low. The radiant heat from Earth's night side is hot enough to make unpowered hydrogen storage in low Earth orbit challenging; it's only when you get past Saturn that passive storage is relatively easy. If you're some place warmer, a power plant that can power a refrigeration system would be sensible. (It's unnecessary as far as the rules are concerned - just a fluff suggestion.)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
AmaroqStarwind
05/16/18 05:46 PM

Well, "even in space" is a misnomer because space isn't cold...
It would also be interesting to know how it's hydrogen supply gets replenished.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
05/17/18 05:54 AM

Ok to answer all of the questions you did not ask.

Class/Model/Name: Small orbital Hydrogen Refueling Station
Mass: 2,275 tons

Equipment: Mass
Power Plant, Drive & Control: None 0.00
Structural Integrity: 1 22.75
Total Heat Sinks: 7 standard 0.00
Fuel & Fuel Pumps: 43.4 days 0.00
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters: 0.00
Armor Type: (12 total armor pts) (+1) 1.50

Small craft bay 200.00
Small reactor to power pumps 1.00
fueling docking station to fuel dropships 5.00
Extra parts to repair station 4.75

Standard Scale Armor Pts
Fore: 4
Left/Right 4/4
Aft: 4

This station is unmaned there is no space for a permanent crew. This is basicly a large fuel tank put in some out of the way place where ships can stop for a refueling. These tanks dont have any engines or use any fuel they are left to obit some planet, moon, or very large asteroid. They can also be put on the surface of a smaller asteroid. These are most commenly used by fighters on long patrols or put in some out of the way strategic location so defending ships can refuel with out having to go to a base that might have been taken over or destroyed. Since there is no crew the crew of the ship that is docking with the refuling station has to fuel their own ship. Thies orbital Hydrogen Refueling Station have a small craft docking bay so fighters can land on the staton to refuel and fuel suttles can land to refill the tanks. The stations need to be checked ever so often to make sure that their orbit is not degrading. If it is then the station can be towed back to its normal orbit.
Cargo 2,000 tons of hydrogen fuel 2,040.00

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4539

Contact Admins Sarna.net