Paint Brand

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
06/12/18 11:37 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm thinking about getting into painting again. The last time I painted a Mech was in 96. Last time I painted Warhammer miniatures was back in 07. I used to be familiar with citadel paints, their prices and such. But a lot has changed over the years. I just wasn't sure what people prefer to use for painting mechs. Is there a brand more people use?
Karagin
06/12/18 01:03 PM

Citadel aka Warhammer has an app for the phone or tablet called Citadel Paint, it would be a good start for that brand for you.

Apple Barrel paints form Walmart are good.

Army Painter paints.

Forge World paints have some good stuff.

Testor has some great stuff.

Tamiya has good stuff.

Reaper has some amazing stuff as well.

Bolt Action has their own paint line that is really good.

Vallejo has many different lines and such.

The above are the ones I use along with the old Ral Partha paints and few others that I have picked up over the years. Pretty much if I like the color and texture then I get it.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
wolf_lord_30
06/12/18 01:47 PM

I dont remember Testor being good. But then again, it has been years. Maybe the sets we had were ill suited for mechs. I remember the "candy coating".
Thanks for the list. Given that I cannot go and get them for myself and hate ordering online for paints, I can send my ex out to Walmart or Michael's with a decent enough idea of what to get.
But trying to explain primer, and water based not oil based to someone who has no interest in the hobby...not an easy task.
Karagin
06/12/18 01:57 PM

Testor has several line/types of paints, some are not great, but the rest are their Model Masters are their best line IMHO.
Karagin

wolf_lord_30
06/12/18 05:35 PM

I was able to get my ex to grab some Apple Barrel paints this afternoon. A lot cheaper than I expected, hopefully the quality is still good enough. If not, there's always next week to pester her to get to a real hobby shop.
Tony
11/28/23 11:53 PM

I don't recall Testor being admirable. That being said, years have passed. Perhaps our settings weren't designed with mechs in mind. The "candy coating" is what I recall.
I appreciate the list. I can send my ex to Walmart or Michael's with a reasonable idea of what to acquire, since I can't go get them for myself and I detest ordering paints online.
However, it is not an easy chore to explain primer, and that it is water based rather than oil based, to someone who has no interest in the hobby.
Karagin
11/29/23 02:38 PM

Primer is eas; if the rattle can says primer on it and it's flat primer, then that is all that needs buying. Best thing to do is give a picture of what you want and a name.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5640

Contact Admins Sarna.net