Jump-ship Spy Satellites

Pages: 1
Requiem
07/11/18 06:35 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
As per the Sarna Wiki Page under Jumpships the following information is provided …

“When materializing at their destination point the JumpShip causes tidal stresses similar to those caused when jumping. It also advertises its presence with an electromagnetic pulse that can be detected billions of kilometers away, and an infra-red signature that can be detected from a relatively close range of up to 50,000 km. Together, these are called the Emergence signature, and are determined by the total mass of the JumpShip and all attached DropShips. It is even possible to assess the mass or size of an arriving JumpShip from its emergence signature”.

Could a satellite be created to log this emergence information?

One satellite, hidden within a determined jump point / emergence point could then over time indicate a supply route from point “A” to “B” – such as in Clan space Deep Periphery

Also what if it had attached a K series Black Box to relay that information on?

Plus it would also require an anti- tamper device – come within a certain distance / certain movement – small nuclear detonation and no remains of the device.

Thus the Inner Sphere forces over time could map supply routes and even schedules if a schedule does exist ….

Would the Inner Sphere utilize such a device? And do you believe they could make such a device?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
FrabbyModerator
07/11/18 07:06 PM

This kind of satellite probably exists, minus the Black Box (which is too secret and important to deploy on unmanned missions).
But remember that emergence signatures are very short-ranged when you consider the sheer size of space.

Iirc, in the fifth or sixth Gray Death novel a possible JumpShip emergence signature is detected on the accretion disk, behind another planet. It would presumably require such a satellite to make the detection.
CrayModerator
07/12/18 08:25 PM

Quote:

Could a satellite be created to log this emergence information?

Yes, and I think some early warning satellites with that role have been published. Jump signature sensors are common on most vessels, including satellites. I'd check TROVA.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
happyguy49
07/13/18 03:45 AM

I've been wondering for awhile about Black Boxes. There are some rules about their operation on the wiki, mostly range and propagation time, and that is ALL we know apparently.

We don't know how big they are; are they the size of a briefcase or a warehouse? Hundreds of tons requiring a city's worth of power or more low-key than that? How much do they cost to build and to operate? Which factions can manufacture them? Can they be carried and operated on vehicles and ships or must they be static? Can they only transmit to other black boxes or can their messages be picked up at the reception point by any radio reciever, as with HPGs?

And, with grey monday, why on earth haven't they almost completely replaced HPGs by the 3140s and on?
CrayModerator
07/13/18 11:27 PM

Quote:
I've been wondering for awhile about Black Boxes. There are some rules about their operation on the wiki, mostly range and propagation time, and that is ALL we know apparently.

Rules for them are in Covert Ops, as I recall. A whole table of stats. My copy's in storage.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
07/14/18 01:11 AM

In storage?
Does that mean the dog ate it?

If I remember the novels talking about it, they were the size of breifcases. As comstar never found out about them, at least in the novels or time line, it would appear only another black box can access the information.

The FedCom was the only one with access to them before 3039 war, where the DC got ahold of them. The FC did start upgrades according to the books dealing with the invasion of Luthien.
The story said the original message would take another month to get to Avalon, while their border ones picked it up and relayed it faster.

Which is interesting, as the normal HPG seems to be a huge comms station. Not sure of the size of information they can send, though it sounds like it is more of a print out set up. Or so the use of them in the 4th war says when using it to get orders to the troops during the interdiction. Also aligning the device doesn't seem to be needed either.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3101

Contact Admins Sarna.net