Rediscovering BT, Looking to Prep for a New Campaign

Pages: 1
LordEntrails
01/14/19 08:50 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Decades ago I used to play BT & MW. I'm looking to put together a campaign and start it up in the coming months and don't know where to start. I'm hoping people will chime in with some links and suggestions.

For reference, I've got what I believe are the second edition BattleTech, MechWarrior, CityTech & AeroTech box sets (and some readouts and supplements) that I played ages ago.

I'm looking for system with a feel similar to the classic game I'm familiar with. I'm looking for both RPG (out of mech) plots and play, as well as lance and maybe company sized fights. As a long term campaign, there will be a need to track equipment, etc, as well as I plan the campaign to influence events so the chosen time will impact the timeline.

I'm willing to invest reasonably in whatever system and resources I need, but my questions are as follows;

1) What rule system should I use and why?
2) Suggestion on era/time period. I'm thinking prior to the clans, but also the fall of the original Star League is possible.
3) once the rule system and time period are chosen, is there a resource that tells me what mechs and technology are available? Obviously if I chose the year 3050, the Tech Readout from 3025 would be usable and not the 3063 one, but what about the various clan and house books?
4) I may chose to play online using a VTT. I'm thinking of using Fantasy Grounds for the RPG parts ( I use it for D&D and other systems) and Vassal (have never used it) for the mech combats, but wanted to know if their were any VTTs with dedicated MW/BT support and content.

Thanks in advance.
FrabbyModerator
01/15/19 07:40 AM

Strictly my personal opinion here, so take it with a grain of salt.

1) Not sure if you are referring to tabletop or RPG rule system here, or conflating them. I'll try to cover both aspects:

a) Tabletop gaming system
Stick to the classic BT tabletop like you played it 20-30 years ago. The rules remain essentially the same for 'Mechs, only partial cover was changed (and very much to the better) regarding 'Mechs. The other "changes" basically only expanded the rules by adding new equipment and unit types.
The vehicle and infantry rules (the CityTech stuff of old) changed quite a bit.

If you stick to 'Mech combat, you can use the intro box rulebook or go for the BattleMech Manual (with a "M" in the middle, not "T") which is a good, concise rulebook for 'Mechs only.
Otherwise, Total Warfare is the "big" basic rulebook that should serve all your needs for the time being.

There are two other noteworthy tabletop rulesets at this time:
Alpha Strike, which is a streamlined system for larger scale battles. I haven't played it yet but heard a lot of praise for it. However, it's far less detailed. If you want to spice up your game with RPG elements, I'd argue the Alpha Strike is not the right scale (it's meant for battalion sized or larger formations duking it out, whereas classic BT boardgaming is optimized for lance-sized units and the Solaris VII dueling rules were optimized for individual 'Mechs).
The other is the Clickytech game, which I also haven't played. It was allegedly far more successful than even the original tabletop BattleTech in its time but it's been dead for a decade now.

b) RPG system
There are essentially 4 different BattleTech RPGs. Calling them different "editions" is something of a misnomer as the first two are vaguely similar but the 3rd Edition and then A Time of War completely each rewrote the rules from the ground up.

I like the latest BT RPG system (A Time of War) best from an armchair GM point of view, but truth be told have never actually played it. Over at the BT forum a few people complain that it's too detailed and complicated, and that character creation is a chore (but once you have your character it's apparently a good if detailed system). Also, it's tailored to seamlessly connect to the classic boardgame rules.

Back in the day the system we played most was the MW 2nd Edition, and it worked well for us. However, depending on how strict you are as a GM, it tends to give too much power to the PCs. I still recommend it as a reasonably simple starter system to get your gaming group off the ground and into the BT universe.

The 1st Edition is yet simpler, but it is actually too simple for my tastes. The 3rd Edition, which was a complete rewrite of the rules, I never played. Some love the 3rd Edition best, others seem to hate it with a passion.

c) Chaos Campaign
You may also want to check out the Starterbook series (Sword and Dragon, Wolf and Blake, Fist and Falcon) or try to get a copy of ye olde First Strike scenario book, to get your players going in campaign play. If that stuff is to your liking, then you will probably also like Chaos Campaign with its Tracks (which is kinda the most refined of the campaign rulesets). It's a flexible but workable ruleset to run a merc unit campaign, with abstract point-based rules covering revenue, maintenance and repairs (allowing the players to concentrate on shooting things up). I'm not sure how well extra RPG aspects can be worked in, but as-is the system is pretty good.

2) The end of the Star League is an interesting time, but also a very challenging era for the GM. I'd stick to the late Succession Wars era, as this keeps the scope of the game simple and as such is a great introduction to the universe, without information overload.

That said, you can also go full monty and drop into the Jihad era. The overall chaos is a very good curtain for the GM to hide his cluenessness behind, and you have the Total Chaos campaign book which I highly recommend.

3) If you chose the 3025 timeframe (my own campaign started in 2995) then the TRO:3039 is your one-stop shop for almost all relevant stuff. (XTRO: Succession Wars offers some fringe extra stuff for kicks, if you want to surprise your players.)
Otherwise, phew. Besides the Sarna wiki, the Master Unit List is the nearest thing I can think of to see what is available when, and to whom.

The House Books and other sourcebooks are usually written to a clear timeframe (originally 3025, then 3050, then 3067 are the "anchor years").
There is a sourcebook series called Era Reports that should help you get into a particular era once you've chosen one.

4) Can't help you here.

Edit: Typos.
CarcerKango
01/15/19 10:37 AM

As far as virtual tabletops go, I'd suggest looking into MegaMek and related software for 'Mech/Vehicle/Aero-scale combat. It takes pretty much all the randomization and automates it, saving a TON of time looking up charts and cross-referencing things, and taking the lion's share of rulebook memorization off the shoulders of the GM. It even has ways to plug in ATOW and MechWarrior RPG pilot skills if I recall correctly, and settings for RPG-style initiative. It also has an AI component which, as far as I'm aware, VASSAL lacks. One interesting idea is to have everyone log into a game as a player controlling their character's unit on one team, and set up the other team under your control. You can pull shenanigans with double blind play, hidden units, extra rules for physical combat, ejected MechWarriors spotting for indirect fire, etc., and even toss nukes from the game's command line if all else fails
The interface isn't especially intuitive at first, but knowledge of the BattleTech setting has really made it a lot easier in my case. And while it automates the tabletop rules, it helps to know the basics in the first place to get a better idea of what is and isn't possible under the ruleset/MegaMek's engine.
It's also 100% free!
LordEntrails
01/15/19 01:47 PM

Awesome feedback guys, thanks!

I will definitely be looking over those resources and figuring things out. I've stumbled across MegaMek and will be looking into it. Also found the Master Unit List and that looks very good. So much info!

I am looking to do both the RPG aspects and to play out some of the combats. Not sure what I will do yet. I always liked the setting and some of the novels and the espionage aspects or possibilities. Of course playing CBT on the table top was also lots of fun, so I don't want to leave that out. Not sure how I will work or co-mingle the two aspects. been debating having each player run more than one character, but that seems to dilute things too.

For instance, each player could have a mechwarrior, a tech and an agent. The techs might never bee used much except out of character (i.e. how much they can repair between fights), but then that leaves two distinct characters to play that are really quite separate. Or, I could just say the character is both a warrio and an agent, depending upon the scenario...

I don't know yet I have been pointed to HyperRPG on YouTube/Twitch to see how they have done it.

Thanks again
ghostrider
01/15/19 04:11 PM

I would suggest they have characters from all branches of the military.
This will allow you to use say fighters to clear the skies, on down to infantry to secure or infiltrate a base. Most want to think mech warriors can do the jobs, but really. Are they going to get skills that don't work in their mechs?
Granted, I don't think jumpship crews, or dropships really need to be covered, unless you want to use aerotech, and have them use the dropships in combat.

But do make sure they are not wasting their time. If you never play with tankers, then that would be a waste.
If you do go with the prior to clan invasion, there are some IS upgraded mechs in the later printings of the TRO 3050.
Honestly, I would suggest letting your players do their own mods, as some are completely stupid in the canon line.

Not sure if you will be using costs to control what they can get initially. It would be very easy to triple the costs of the mechs doing some customizing of them. Some of the others afterwards, say the units were available during the clan war, but were experimental. You might use their testing them as part of a campaign or mission.
Maybe even some of their own designs.
LordEntrails
01/15/19 08:51 PM

Yea, lots to figure out.
I might even go to something like two groups, with player overlap, i.e. one group of agents, the other of mechwarriors. And then somehow work to keep them sync'd with one another.

As for mech generation at the start, I'll be looking for something that keeps them fairly comparable. Maybe random generation or a point buy (i.e. a heavy mech has some damaged or missing systems, a light mech might have advanced gear, etc). But I envision they will start with inferior mechs and have to upgrade and improve them over time. Suggestions appreciated
ghostrider
01/15/19 09:42 PM

Raid on a mech repair facility, that has a mech that can be walked out of it, but only way to do it is leave behind one of theirs. So trading a mech in good shape for one that needs work. If this is what you are looking for.
It could be they are trying to get advanced tech, so take the unit leaving something heavier in place of it.

Agents might need to be defined for me. Is that catch all for any infantry style work? Spies? Spec ops? Even buying agents.
It could well be, your agents, get caught on a mission, and your mech warriors have to save them, or vice versa. Maybe play one set on night, and have the game paused at a point, such as a gate that needs to be opened, so the agents get to head in to open it up.

Another big question is size of unit. Lances are easier to play quickly then full companies. But don't offer too much flexibility in units.

Just had a thought. The unit starts out as dispossessed and have to steal some units from a mech repair facility. Force a quick decision from the players on what units (those you have set out) to take. Just depends on how evil you want to be.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4511

Contact Admins Sarna.net