Support Vehicle

Pages: 1
Requiem
03/28/19 11:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
There are many types of support Vehicles from Flat-beds, to recovery vehicles, to engineering vehicles, to MASH Vehicles etc ......

My question is has anyone ever thought of creating a mobile culinary vehicle - to cook for your Battalion of Infantry whilst in the field + support Vehicles Refrigeration Units for all the food.

I know usually you are given 24 hour ration packs for the number of days whilst on active service in the field - however when your upon training exercises some may look to having a mobile culinary vehicle (especially high ranking offices (House Steiner Social Generals comes to mind here)).

Thoughts on the issue?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
03/30/19 02:58 PM

I would guess some have made vehicles, as more then a few have taken things to be as close to real life as they can.

Though there would be a major difference between the in the field during a fight, verse simple training on a planet away from any combat. Bases and even eating at the 5 star resteraunts come to mind here.

I would also think some people would just say cooking supplies would be part of the base camp in the field as well, and wouldn't need a separate unit to do so. The lack of room on dropships would be a good argument for this. Any sort of combat unit would be preferred for those making the wars, though not sure about the soldiers that have to try and eat in the trenches, if the ready meals are as bad as suggested in the world wars.

One thought would be to have a personal chef be part of the command personnel in the HQ vehicle.
Karagin
03/31/19 12:38 AM

What you are talking about the US Military (almost all others) have called an MKT (Mess Kitchen Trailer) and a simple Google will give you all the great details of this.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
03/31/19 04:03 PM

The question here would be, in the Battletech universe, do they bring such equipment to a different world during the first wave?
Especially on worlds that don't have any real facilities available to an invasion force? IE no moble units on world they could confiscate/steal.

I would think another question is how many support vehicles magically get moved with the invasion or raiding forces?
Requiem
03/31/19 05:58 PM

Three issues …

First ….

Refer to Wiki RE. Army Catering Corps Spec. Mobile Field Kitchens – military catering …. From WW2 onwards to now …….

Yes, there is a current trend towards using contractors in support services.

However, these contractors are determined from the “Great Houses” you are employed with (ie. FS Catering for FS Military) and not from an enemy world you are attempting to conquer. As can you ensure an equitable service from world to world? – Especially when you consider the issue of safety and security for the military – the poisoning of an entire regiments could be a real problem.

Thus, when you have a large standing army logistics / ensuring an efficient fighting force requires maintaining the morale of the fighting force and requires that they are catered to in a high manner of efficiency and effectiveness – there must be a high degree of professionalism.

Also consider the following - how many DC chefs wold you find in the LC - next to nil? - so, how would the DC troops react if they are told to eat LC food as that is all there are to hand .....?

By necessity alone there must be a Logistics Corps that also includes a Catering Corp –consider the motivation to fight / do anything when you do not have good meal.

Second ….

Could you see a General give up their-own personal Chef?

Consider officers throughout history and nationality …. You could make a case that every-one of them ensure some level / degree of comfort when you reach a rank equating to high command (ie. Battalion Command and over).

So, yes I think a case could be made that from logistics alone there must be a Catering Corps (be it be a contractor from you home “Great House” or integrated into the military) and as an extension thereof they must have their own support vehicles and trailers from small kitchens for each company to large industrial mobile kitchens for Regiments – it s a strategic industry within the military! even in the Battletech universe!

As per the following quote from the Wiki page relating to Army Military Corps – “Many British soldiers humorously claim that the catering course is the 'hardest military training in the world'; as nobody has yet passed the course and the army is yet to receive a satisfactory meal” … you can laugh now .....

Third ….

As for space upon Drop-ships – even though Battletech usually just looks at those DropShips that contain military fighting vehicles and personnel … from a logistics point of view there must be additional drop-ships assigned for just logistical necessities for every unit in the field - MASH, Admin, Quartermaster, Culinary etc ….

so, yes there must be a civilian or military vehicles for the culinary team.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Requiem
04/02/19 04:26 AM

Finally found it - Under Sarna.net Wiki – Field Kitchen

A Field Kitchen is a mobile cafeteria expected to meet the dietary needs of up to 150 people per week, though in practice that number varies depending on external factors such as supplies. Field kitchens are seen as a luxury on the front lines of a battlefield, though studies have shown they can improve troop morale, health and discipline when compared to normal field rations; Lyran generals in particular fight tooth and nail for luxuries such as field kitchens, ostensibly for these reasons. Civilian field kitchens are commonly found at remote work or industrial sites.

Game Rules[edit]
A unit may mount up to three Field Kitchens, each of which weighs 3 Tons and adds three crewmembers to the minimum crew requirement. BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs and aerospace units may not mount Field Kitchens.[1]

the only think missing is tonnage of food for 150 people per week?
Reiter
04/02/19 12:26 PM

Quote:
Three issues …

Quote:
First ….

Bring water to a boil

Quote:
Second ….

Tear package

Quote:
Third ….

Add water to line, leave for 5 minutes or until cool.

Enjoy.
Requiem
04/02/19 06:23 PM

Reiter …. Levity? …. 24 hour “rat” packs are “interesting” for infantry –my experience with them the older they get the better they are … though when you have jam etc. in a toothpaste tube they are good when you are on long marches …. Though when you are on long forced march (especially in the cold and wet) a hot meal at the end keeps you going … or for those that remember the old “bonnox drink” and “rum” is also welcome.

Consider using the Trailer Hitch rule attached to an APC , Flat-bed truck or even a Galleon Light Tank for one field kitchen for one company.

Trailer Hitch [BT, AS, SBF][edit]
A relatively common adaptation, the Trailer Hitch Quirk allows one unit possessing the Quirk to tow a second unit that also possesses the same Quirk. Towing another vehicle via the Trailer Hitch Quirk is functionally the same as for Support Vehicles that possess the Tractor chassis modification, but only tracked and wheeled Combat vehicles may possess the Trailer Hitch Quirk[27][23][7].
Applicable to: Tracked and Wheeled Combat Vehicles only.[6]

Though for those units that have a large Infantry have a look at the Sarna.net wiki – The FWL Hector Road Train - which has three field kitchens and 11 infantry compartments.

I would assume each house, over time, would have their own "military" variant of this vehicle – to be found on the battlefield when re-arming (ammo), basic field repair area, R&R area, staging area for attack - located near a command vehicle (for Lyrans) .
ghostrider
04/02/19 11:54 PM

As I said. It would be nice to see something.
But, there is always the idea of using tents and portable stoves and such like they did in wars of the past, like shown in the tv series MASH.

Now. There is an issue with assuming DC personnel would not eat anything other then their 'native' food. And that no one cooks such food either. The risk of poisoning is the biggest issue here, but that would not mean in a civilized area, there would be no where to get food. On worlds that don't have alot of cities, would be the main issue here.
Living in the U.S.A, there are a lot of places that cook foods from all over the world.
Not all from the orient eat rice and fish. Some prefer burgers and such. Those from Latin countries to the south don't all eat the native cuisine. Some here like foods that are considered 'outside' of the nations normal food.

Though I do understand a single lance or squad out on a week or more patrol won't have something like that assigned to them. The battalion, maybe even company level probably would.

Some maneuvers are done quick enough for the soldiers to go off base for a good meal.
Now I can see some soldiers preferring meals cooked by someone outside of the family.
Requiem
04/03/19 03:03 AM

ghostrider, you make some good points.

Though, if a company of infantry (or more) were within an invasion, and you were “in country” with no restaurants to requisition their kitchen, and at the same time the invasion was expected to last over two weeks I can say that if it was me in that unit I would want a field kitchen and the ability to cook my own food.

Remember you may be able to do a little hunting whilst “in country” and a BBQ – or a spit to cook on - would pick up everyone’s morale.

If we are moving towards a more realistic game the introduction of NCB and Orbital weapons upon units then should we not also look to the realistic comfort of our P.B.I. (that is their basic needs – improve their standard of living whist “in country”).

Plus if you are a ‘Merc and you captured one – ransom it back? Keep it? Sell it for spare parts?
Always a good source of cash ….
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3619

Contact Admins Sarna.net