Creating a new mercenary unit ….

Pages: 1
Requiem
05/26/19 03:11 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
When creating a new mercenary unit what do you find the hardest thing to do?

For me it has always been assigning a name ….

Thus over time I slowly create a list regarding appropriate future names, such as

Blue Sky Knights (aerospace unit from Skye?)
Death’s Devil Daughters - Frankenstein
Night Witches – Hex – Dusk
Vampress’ Vengeance
Amazons
Artemis’ Archers or Diana’s Daughters
Knights of Arc
Huntress
Geisha Minah
Kitsune
Kunoichi
Vixen’s Vanguard
Succubus
Yakuza Name?
Gladiatrix
Hellion
Hellcat / Dusk Hound(s)
Cheshire
Carrion Eater(s) – Man Eaters

Or would it be when you have a name, would it be finding the unit’s insignia?

So what do you find as the most difficult aspect when creating a mercenary unit?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
05/27/19 08:47 PM

Deciding how you are actually going to do so is the first. Do you use the merc hand book and just roll for money, then buy without restriction, as long as you have money?

But honestly, I have more problems with figuring out how to use the mechwarrior RPG and deciding the route to be taken.
Names are rather easy. (color) (object) tends to be the case. Blue Baboons. Red Mist.
Even things like Silent Blades, or Devils Disciples.
Or fancier names like the Blades of the Crimson Mists(Death) what ever.
But you don't have to use the fierce names either. It may not strike fear into people calling your group the Fluffy Bunnies, but once you make a name for yourself, the irony of it becomes funny.
Even doing the phone book trick where you open to a random page, and point to the first name in something, then go to another page. Yellow pages might be best for unit names. Normal names for characters, if you have problems.
Requiem
05/27/19 09:53 PM

For the group I am with we have given up on the merc’s handbook and rolling for the initial money.

We set an initial tonnage limit representing the total tonnage allowed for the unit and an initial size limit such as one lance or one company – then depending upon the Mec’s unit’s origin (House) they are allowed those Mechs within that particular house (era specific) and up to two ‘Mechs from the houses adjacent to your origin House if you are starting with a company.

From then on if you want to add to your unit it is strictly cash – bank loan – salvage – merger of two or more highly damaged units to form a new unit – taking in strays (deserters) – recruitment drive when you have a good rep (as people want to be part of your unit).

Though, be careful of the Bank Loans, especially if you are in arrears – having your mechs / dropships taken away from you (security for the loan) due to being in arrears is a real possibility! – or even ending up becoming part of a house unit when the House purchases your debt and then you are stuck working it off – or whoever purchases your debt – crime syndicates, local Dukes or even a rival house is a possibility (thus giving the GM control of the unit some degree).

As for running from your debt – yes you can, but there are bounty hunters and other mercs who would be willing to hunt you down for a percentage of the salvage etc. – though going pirate has its own challenges within the periphery.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Wick
05/29/19 12:52 AM

For scenario purposes, its actually coming up with the opponents that proves most difficult. I come up with a merc group based on a premise, but who do they fight? After all, they're only as a good as they're rival/sworn enemy.

Say you had the Cheshire Cats, and they had mechs like Nova Cat, Mad Cat, Puma, Lynx, and maybe even the original "cat", a Catapult. Presumably, they'd face off against "Dogs", who have mechs like War Dog and Mad Dog (Vulture) or some of the "wolf" mechs. The animal theme is pretty easy to work with.
Requiem
05/29/19 03:43 AM

Yes, I agree the OpFor Units should be as detailed as that of the unit you are running.

As for the Cat / Dog analogy – I can assume the Cats win?

To this end I like to spend, when I have the time to do so, about a week or so create a specialty OpFor unit for this purpose – I know a week or so? – I have created for myself a very detailed template when establishing new units, so it does take a bit of time to create any specialty unit.

Otherwise I like to use a generic (existing) House / Mercenary Units or go back to one of the old Unit Books (when the game was still with FASA) for a company unit and then provide them with more “Updated” machines when you are running a company level game.

One of my more interesting units is a Lyran Mercenary unit from New Kyoto – called Kitsune – an all female Reinforced Company Unit – Who’s origins was established from the remnants of Kell’s Hounds – and they are also Heimdall and have a close relationship with some of the nobles of Skye – following Mallory’s World / The Defection. That went on to become the darlings of Skye.

Then it is just a question of coming up with / utilizing an existing book as to the game itself – you just need to tweak it a little to meet the scenario parameters.
Wick
05/29/19 10:55 PM

The Cat / Dog thing was just an example. Either side you want can be the hero, and other the villain, or both are just neutral. If you're creating a Merc group to play a campaign without any pre-conceived goals (other than fame and riches) then that's a lot different than creating a Merc group for storytelling and scenario authorship. For a campaign, you just invent a name and your starting selection of units, and the rest should be up to the roll of the die. You may want all females, or all energy weapon mechs, but it won't pan out that way through random chance. For storytelling though, you can cut some corners and create a group just as you desire it - this is what I prefer.

My favorite group is called Beadle's Bugs. Its a family run, company sized recon and garrison group employed in the FWL (by individual Duchies though, not the nation) made up entirely of bug mechs - a Grasshopper, 2 Cicadas, Firefly, Hornet, Spider, Wasp, 3 Locusts, and 2 Fleas, all level 1 tech and different variants for the Cicidas, Locusts, and Fleas. The scenario has them face off against a Lyran heavy-assault mech lance, so the scenario conditions are more than just "destroy all the other side's mechs". Each side has Total, Marginal, and Pyrrhic victory conditions depending how many mech's they lose, and there's an encouragement for the damaged units to withdraw. The Bugs are way outgunned so its an experiment in careful use of cover, creating high to-hit rolls, unusual tactics (like occasional deaths from above with the Hopper), and getting your crippled units out of the fight.

From that one scenario I've kind of mapped out a campaign spanning the 3010-3035 timeframe (including the Fourth War and Andurien Crisis), but I don't have a good single "villain" for it yet. I considered Lizard/Snake type mechs (Dragon for example) but there aren't enough of them in the 3010s-3020s and it would have to go generational for all those Snake-named mechs to start showing up in the 3050s.
Requiem
05/30/19 08:13 AM

As for the Cat / Dog example – this was meant to be a joke – ie. Garfield’s Grenadier Guards Vs. Odies Oddballs – fighting to take place on the “Table and Couch” plains – objective the TV remote and the Lasagna Factory - and as long as it’s not a Monday Garfield should have the upper paw. – Ha Ha Ha!!!

Beadle’s Bugs sounds interesting … let me guess their dropship is the Hive?

For me I like to give my Unit a wide variety of ‘Mechs as possible ….

As for my reinforced Company it usually consists of … 18 ‘Mechs

Command Lance
Fire Attack / Support Lance
Rapid Attack / Support Lance
Reconnaissance Lance (All lights – though with a six ‘Mech Lance)

Also just like the Hounds I like to form the best Tech unit I can with my mercenary unit and like Grey Death I also like to have an administration unit to assist with all the book work.

I also like to retain the services of a Lawyer / Mercenary Employment Agent, to find the interesting jobs and to assist with contracts.

And I’m never really excited when I’ve been saddled with an employer liaison Officer.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2577

Contact Admins Sarna.net