Lost WOB Military Weapon Systems????

Pages: 1
Requiem
06/28/19 05:43 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Question – Where is the Technical Readout: WOB?

For that matter where is the reverse engineering of former WOB weapon systems implemented into the militaries of the Inner Sphere as well as the so called Republic?
I do not have every Technical readout to date so can I ask did this even occur?

To name a few ….
Is it me or did the WOB have the best engineers by far
Naga Caspar II Contol Sip
Dragau Assault Interceptor Caspar II Drone
Tiamat Pocket Warship Caspar II Drone
Drake SDS Control Station
The Warships
The Fighters
The Omni-Mechs
The Power Armour
The surgery for pilots etc
Submersible Fortresses
The orbital Guns

Though what I really want Pwwka LAM, Yurei LAM and Waneta LAM

Where has all the good stuff gone? For me I would have nabbed as many engineers / blue prints / factories etc as I could have gotten away with, during and after the war, and ensured their safe delivery home to whichever respective House I belong to.

Are there any hypothesis as to why this never occurred?

For shear combat prowess why wouldn’t you take this knowledge and implement it into your own military industrial complex – All of the Allies did so with both the Germans and the Japanese so why not the WOB?

Remember historically without a certain Nazi the first moon landing might not have been achieved by the Americans – and who knows how that could have changed world history.

As any state who implemented mass production of these toys could have quite easily taken on one or two Clans at the same time and given them a run for their money.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
06/28/19 12:05 PM

You want them to say they violated their own rules to produce these units?
To actually make this under their own rules would show just how hypercritical it would be. It also becomes the ultimate weapon when used against all others, but stops the ground battles, which changes the game from ground combat to space wars. It also screws them over when people ask why the Hi-Tech scout has drones that work distances away from the main vehicle, yet nothing the flies does this.

And the WOB tech is doing the same thing Clantech did when the IS took Huntress. It is NOT allowed for the masses, just the evil scientists in order to create a threat that can't be there otherwise.
This is what I believe is why they don't allow the use of such things like taking the enemies tech when they are defeated. Widescale use means an even greater shift from throwing stones at each other, to a full out way of destroying worlds quickly when you defeat the enemies defenses.

Much like orbital bombardments do when warships remain unchallenged. Hell, even wiping out any dropship movement in the area can do damage. No supplies could mean cities dying from no food.
CrayModerator
06/28/19 01:38 PM

Quote:
For that matter where is the reverse engineering of former WOB weapon systems implemented into the militaries of the Inner Sphere as well as the so called Republic?

The major research centers for WoB were in six star systems: the Five Hidden Worlds, of which only a couple were found, and Terra. The Republic controls Terra and isn't sharing its findings. The Hidden Worlds that were found, like Jardine, had their major research and population centers sterilized by WoB.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Requiem
06/28/19 05:28 PM

Did no one capture any military unit during the invasion of Terra or for that matter the entire war?

Or when the Shadow Divisions were engaging forces on a Capitol World or any world for that matter.

Even a partially destroyed bit of debris that was floating around in space or a part left on the Battlefield!

Was no maintenance tech captured or how about any maintenance manuals or facilities?

Did no House / major corporation then initiate a Reverse Engineering program?

How about Hospitals –surgery / surgeons – implants etc?

When it comes to technology AGAIN – do we have another Huntress situation? – do we have another lets integrate a Clan into the SLDF and yet not ask for a copy of their entire weapons technology?

What was captured …..

O’Neil Yards – Terra – Dropships / Jumpships
Titan Yards – Terra – Dropships / Jumpships
Aldis Industries – Betelgeuse, Ingersoll, Terra – Vehicles, BattleMechs, Battle Armour, Dropships
Blankenburg Technologies – Soul, Terra – BattleMechs, Satellites
Krupp Armament Works – Terra – BattleMechs, Battle Armour, VTOLS
Leopard Armour – Terra – BattleMechs, Vehicles
Martinson Armaments – Caph, Liberty, Terra – BattleMechs, OmniMechs
Mitchell Vehicles – Graham IV, Terra – DropShips, Aerospace Fighters, BattleMechs, Vehicles
Skobel MechWorks – Caph, Terra – BattleMechs
Yankee Weapons Systems – New Earth, Terra – BattleMechs

Since when do you leave a war half done? Fining intelligence upon / the location of hidden worlds then invading them?

Can I say AGAIN how “interesting” this situation has developed – even after nearly a century post Jihad – nothing?

Sorry, but I am not impressed!!!!
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Wick
06/29/19 10:06 PM

Salvage absolutely would have occurred. So WOBM mechs, fighters, and vehicles should have been absorbed into House and Merc units (and perhaps some Clan second-line.) I think XTRO:ComStar mentions some of the stuff ComStar recovered and implemented and are now trying to sell to the new Republic, but I can't recall which units had it. Its arguable whether the Regulan Forces would use any WOB salvage or not though.

Likewise, surrendering units would have been absorbed as well (and more likely to be used, as they wouldn't be near-trash salvage but possibly fully functional.)

The advanced tech like cybernetics and Casper/SDS stuff would be harder to come by, and probably only the Republic (or more accurately, Stone's inner circle) got that after taking Terra. Stone and his posse were quite careful not to let that stuff get away from their control. Whatever the Blakists got out likely ended up at Gibson or Circinus, only to be nuked by the Regulans. By Dark Age times though, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new generation of lostech-hunters searching these worlds for advanced Blakist tech.

As far as factories captured intact, most of these came under ROTS control, but for a short time (until 3081) a few of them were producing for their former state. I want to say that one of the factories on New Earth was pumping out units to rebuild a Lyran Guard regiment, and I think I saw same about a Free Worlds factory feeding into its duchy's military, but I can't recall the details to name factory or unit. For the purposes of my RAT data, I made any non-Terra factory captured from the WOB continue to produce the WOB units for its original owner's military, if it makes sense to do so. Some of the WOB models have C3i which wouldn't be popular with House militaries, so I assumed the previous line was restored. (Sometimes, but not always, there's a post-WOB model that swaps out the C3i for a C3 slave and Guardian ECM Suite, and naturally this would be the post-capture build, and if there's a year or two between planet's recapture and the new model appearing, I chalk it up to time spent retooling the line.) In most cases though, this only goes on for 2-5 years before the ROTS takes over, and then they get these units, so the House militaries would have few of these designs.

There's also a few factories that were building units for the WOBM but not within Protectorate space that survived the Jihad. New Vandenburg has one in Concordat space building Cyrano VTOLs.
Requiem
06/29/19 10:49 PM

Wick thanks for the input,

Quote: The advanced tech like cybernetics and Casper/SDS stuff would be harder to come by, and probably only the Republic (or more accurately, Stone's inner circle) got that after taking Terra.

Sorry Cray but I must disagree – in this I am reminded of the films ….

“Kelly’s Heroes” – whomever got it during the battle for Terra got it (based on human nature);
“The Monuments Men” – searching for “acquired” artwork during WW2 (based on fact); and
“Zero dark thirty” – the extraction of all intelligence – papers / hard-drives etc before extraction

The historical incidents post WW2 – where all allied forces were searching for both Nazi Scientists / engineers and factories

In the future of the as military force progress’ through a heavily industrialised area would it not be beyond expectation that the advance units are not only tasked with securing an area but once secured a secondary team would be immediately dispatched to “requisition” any enemy technology that has been acquired – especially (as noted above) hard-drives and any individual who also is deemed of importance.

Intelligence of this level would have been immediately transferred to a safety point for immediate extraction.

Can I therefore assume correctly that the those within the assault upon Terra could quite conceivably be able to reproduce many of the WOB’s more standardised military vehicles?

As for the more rare items – as long as a prototype / lead scientist is “obtained” mostly in tact thee is a chance of it being reverse engineered (though it may take some time).
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2685

Contact Admins Sarna.net