National and Star League Military Academy Competition

Pages: 1
Requiem
07/26/19 12:37 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Anime: Girls und Panzer – depicts a completion between girls’ high schools practicing tank warfare as a sport.

So why not have a Military Academy Competition (sport) within each of the Great Houses Military Academies. Where the Corps of Cadets form units that battle each other on a round robin tournament – every year (or three years?) on their respective Capitol Wold. The battles are filmed and then distributed throughout the realm.

(assume the betting would be rife!)

Not only does the winner receive bragging rights they also receive the most coveted of trophies that recognises their Academy as the winner, national recognition and a possible assignment (post-graduation) to one of the elite House Units could also be included.

Categories could include:
Company Mech;
Company Armour;
Combined Arms – Battalion.

Were war-games are competed between all the Military Academies ….

Also post establishment of the Star League where I introduced the idea of having an Eternal Mech-warrior Gladiator Games throughout the Inner Sphere.

So, why not introduce the concept of an Inner Sphere wide Military Academy tournament – where those that win their Houses Championship travel to Terra to compete for and win the Star League Trophy.

Thus it can also be considered to be expanding on the idea of the Army Vs. Navy Football game ….. just in ‘Mechs / armour / Combined Arms.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
07/26/19 11:39 AM

Big reason why they don't do so.
This is not the clans. The costs in hardware as well as lives would prevent such a contest in all realms.
The lobbyists from the arena's would be pushing to keep anything from competing with their niche.
Vehicles are especially notorious for killing their crews. So in a competition of say 20 matches, I would say over a quarter would have their crews killed at some point.
And I would suspect there would be weight class matches, so that would increase the number of units used to 4 times that, then add in movement types, which would increase it further (IE tracked, wheeled, hover).

So, why not introduce the concept of an Inner Sphere wide Military Academy tournament
Solaris does have such things going on. They do have non mech matches, though they are not the main draw of spectators.

Another thought comes to mind. Cost of transportation of the competitors to other worlds and systems. Someone has to pay for this, and as a lot of academies are paid for by the students attending them, this dramatically cuts into WHO can actually go to such schools.

Edited by ghostrider (07/26/19 11:45 AM)
Requiem
07/26/19 07:23 PM

First, as stated before this is a game, so if you say it can be done – it can be done. With the amount of plot holes within the existing game why not add one more to allow for a touney – costs be dammed just do it?

Second, when do you use live ammunition within war games when you have powered down lasers etc. and computers that can simulate the damage to a mech / vehicle / fighter / infantry etc.? So deaths would be limited to freak accidents only.

Third, Solaris is for Professional Gladiators – what is proposed here is Academy warfare (Army / Navy game) with Cadets – two completely different entities.

Fourth, how many would consider this a fun idea – for RPG alone this would be a good idea as your Cadet goes through their academy days – they join the Academy “Meckery / Tankery Club” to participate in the War games.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
07/26/19 11:39 PM

So you want to commercialize the games the cadets go thru in their training?
The people want full blood and guts from blasting armor off with full powered weapons. The kiddie things can be done in simulators, not real vehicles. So save money there.

The RPG version of this is up to those playing it. As most don't want to play the academy days of training, coming up with rules for it isn't worth the effort for the developers.
Who really wants to play a war game that has 8/8 skills?
You couldn't hit the stationary target, with your stationary guns as short range as it is, much less when going full out.
But that doesn't mean there could not be 'elite' clubs in the academies, such as several mech warrior clubs that have a rivalry going. The Blue Mustangs, or the Green Pumas having a nasty rivalry that does get loose on occasion.

There are a few stories that suggest rival schools to have this going on. NAIS seems to have challenges coming in. I don't see why it isn't already done, just not advertised. If it was, then some parents would be concerned as well as others sabotaging as well as 'fixing' matches to make their children look better then what they are. So it would be a lot like Solaris.
Requiem
07/27/19 02:22 AM

Since when has any war games been conducted with live ammo – and what type of sick society (other than the Clans) would even consider this?

Every Military Academy, including West Point, utilizes War Games with actual vehicles for training purposes – making a competition of it, I cannot see there would be a problem problem.

Cadet Third Year Graduates who are members within the War Games would be closer to 5/4 not 8/8

Parents attempting to sabotage a game – they would need an incredible amount of pull to achieve this – Having the Last name as either Kurita / Liao this may occur or even in Steiner Space Cash Bribes may be consideration as for the rest who knows.

However if a cadet does something that is not normal and it is caught on camera – the JAG corp may get involved – after a couple times people are caught this should stop (especially if the media is involved).

Why assume always the worst of people and go for the most negative aspect of what may occur?

For my RPG this won’t happen.

I just find this as an exciting and new game strategy that many may find interesting.
ghostrider
07/27/19 12:58 PM

First off, I have yet to hear of ANY wargames using artillery to have 'preplaced' explosive charges. Even smoke rounds can kill.
Second off, there are sections to competitions that do use live rounds. This makes sure the competitors do not cheat and not crawl thru areas.
When aircraft are used, there is some explosives in the missiles and bombs used.
I am not saying they are full charges, but they do have them.
Or have you never heard about deaths to live fire in those very games done in the 1900s and beyond?

There are a lot of minor nobles that would try to interfer, and the JAG may well be ordered not to investigate. A planetary governor could very well get away with this, as well as city leaders. Even the local garrison command could do so. Liao would be the one most likely to do this an succeed, with Steiner being second. This is not a huge gap between the most likely and least likely either.

Why assume always the worst of people and go for the most negative aspect of what may occur?
It seems to be the only way to get thru about why things are the way they are.
If you don't want answers, then don't ask open ended questions.

Using human psychology, what do you think the tax paying public would do when they see their taxes wasted on stupid things like this? Especially those that don't have anyone in the armed forces?
For New Avalon or some such large, rich world, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. But for some place that barely has more then 2 lances of mechs or even vehicles? It would set back their maintenance and even buying new equipment for months, maybe even years.
Requiem
07/28/19 04:57 AM

First,

Quote: First off, I have yet to hear of ANY wargames using artillery to have 'preplaced' explosive charges. Even smoke rounds can kill.

And yet you can have simulated damage determined by a computer and then down loaded into the corresponding units computers – simulating damage – and monitored by the games supervisors.

Second,

The use of live ammunition is usually within a training exercise – not a war game per se.

If they are used in a war game then the area is sealed off – no personnel allowed / upon a live fire training ground - to allow for live fire. Basic risk assessment required in a war game / live fire event.

QUOTE: what do you think the tax paying public would do when they see their taxes wasted on stupid things like this?

And yet in England / France / Russia / China and now also in America – trooping of the colours – parade of military vehicles through the capitol for the people – or how about at football events where the jets fly over – or what about at air shows – the spectators didn’t look like it was a waste of money?

The use of the Military Academy Competition (as a sport) is just another way the state can demonstrate its military strength to the population – it is also used to solidify patriotism – and it also helps in enlistment as people are more likely to enlist after seeing all the toys on parade.
I could very easily see all the Great Houses and many of the Nobles within each of the Great Houses having their own trooping of the colours day for the people they rule – gives the people a day off – reinforces national identity / pride etc. – the secret police can easily identify dissenters by their mannerisms on the day – so win win ……

If packaged correctly the people will come to look forward to the next Military Academy Competition.

QUOTE: For New Avalon or some such large, rich world, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. But for some place that barely has more then 2 lances of mechs or even vehicles? It would set back their maintenance and even buying new equipment for months, maybe even years.

And yet this is why you have simulated computer determined damage.

Also consider the prize – there could be government grants / company investment programs – to assist the smaller Academies.

Also one of the main points in doing this is that it not only fosters completion but it can also foster team work and friendships across the state that would never have been able to form if it were not for an event like this. Students from many different academies will be able to foster life-long friendships and connections with people throughout the military – esprit de corps – thus when you have combined units fighting together they may have people who already know each other and who can assist with forming a bond between the two units. Or informal communication between units / officers is sometimes very important.
ghostrider
07/28/19 07:35 PM

As was stated in other threads, the in game public, were always complaining about taxes. The football example is one that I don't know if the fans pay for it, or it is taken directly from tax payers. I will say it is possible, due to the stadium owners getting huge tax breaks, it could be considered that way.
But this is not the main military we are discussing. It is all the little academies doing some sort of 'sporting' event, that most don't even know what academies are on world for the most part. Those that can afford it, send their people to the large, well known academies. Those that can't, tend to get the training outside of schools.

Look over the novels and such. They already do have military parades. The DC being mentioned in the one where the Black Dragon society was going to assassinate Theodore from the parade. New Avalon has their food riot recreation.

And yet this is why you have simulated computer determined damage.
Simulated damage has lead to real damage, IE shutting down leg acuators while a mech is running.
And the arena's, especially Solaris, would lobby against it, as it lessens the importance of theirs.

And left out of fostering good feelings is the rivalries and intense hatred that would inflame the public to avoid any cooperation with the 'state' that won, or constantly wins.

But again. For you game, it is fine. For the main stream of players. Few will want to play an academy game for a few sessions. And this is just a 'non wasteful' death match.
Requiem
07/29/19 12:46 AM

Sorry, but I don’t remember reading about how bad the taxes were – where are the tax forms for income generated from my Mercenary Units – whom do I submit it to and whom do I pay as I have never filled one of them in.

As the game developer if you say this is built it is built – there are no costs to the taxpayer.

As for military academies and their citizens not knowing about the existence of the military academies. We are discussing IS societies that are built upon military supremacy – how can you not be bombarded by the media as to the military achievements of the day. How can you remain ignorant as to each houses’ military achievements? I cannot accept the plausibility as to the ignorance of a common citizen within any House as to their military.

How can Solaris lobby against anything? They are a professional sporting event, not attached to any one house, for independent gladiators.
This is again apples and oranges.
Would a professional sporting body argue how the university organises their championship matches? Question: Does this occur in Basketball for example – Professional Vs. University ?

esprit de corps does not ever translate over to spirit de civilians

esprit de corps is a very important attribute within any military and also across many militaries – why else do we have multi-national war games – Here in Australia we have just finished Australia, America and Japan – and forging friendships at all levels is extremely important – something every officer would want to see is achieved – respect, honour, friendship the ability to work together under different environments.

Stating this idea is just a 'non wasteful' death match – sorry but I completely disagree – I would though like to hear from others as to their thoughts on this subject.
csadn
07/29/19 03:01 AM

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Martial_Olympiad

Like this, only open to the Great Houses as well as SLDF?
CF

Oregon: The "Outworlds Alliance" of the United States of America
Requiem
07/29/19 10:43 PM

Smaller Units Company / Battalion size only
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2792

Contact Admins Sarna.net