Alternative Autocannon Rules

Pages: 1
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
08/10/19 10:38 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ultra Autocannon Jam Chances:

Players may un-jam an Ultra Autocannnon by declaring so on their firing phase. However, it costs the player a round of ammunition to do so. All other weapons may be fired normally on this turn.

Ultra Autocannons have no jam check if they were not fired in "Ultra Mode" the turn before. Ultra Autocannons which check for jams do so by rolling a d6. On a roll of 1, they jam. For every consecutive turn that an Ultra Autocannon is fired in "Ultra Mode", this target number increases by one, with the prior target number being retained in addition to it.

So on the first turn, there would be no jam check. On the second turn, the Ultra Autocannon jams on an outcome of 1. On the third turn, the Ultra Autocannon jams on an outcome of one or two. And so on and so forth. After seven consecutive firings in "Ultra Mode", the Ultra Autocannon jams.

This penalty is not reduced over time, to represent the increased wear on the weapon. So an Ultra Autocannon which is fired for three consecutive turns in "Ultra Mode" will still jam on an outcome of 1 or 2 even if it is "rested" afterwards. However, it still must be fired at least twice in "Ultra Mode" to check for a jam.

The logic here is that the Ultra Autocannons jam due to heat.

Rotary Autocannon Jam Chances:

Rotary Autocannons will not jam unless more than 2 rounds are fired in one turn. If more than two rounds are being fired, roll one d6 to check for jams with the target number being the number of rounds being fired. If the outcome is less than the target number, the Rotary Autocannon jams. So for example: firing three rounds will jam the weapon on an outcome of 3 or less while firing six rounds will jam the weapon no matter what. Rotary Autocannons may be un-jammed during a players firing phase without expending ammunition. All other weapons may be fired normally on this turn.

The logic here is that Rotary Autocannons jam due to Gatling-Style movement.

Hyper-Velocity Autocannon Explosion Chances:

Hyper-Velocity Autocannons have no explosion check if they were not fired the previous turn. If the Hyper-Velocity Autocannon has been fired on the turn prior, roll d6 to check for an explosion. On a roll of less than 3, the gun explodes. On a roll of less than 5, the gun fouls requiring the pilot to spend one turn resetting it.

The logic is that, as per fluff, Hyper-Velocity Autocannons exploded from accumulated propellant residue. So by "resting" the gun between firings, the gun and the residue cools down, expending energy from both the gun and the residue while causing some of the leftover propellant to come loose of the barrel due to contraction. So by "resting" the gun between firings, the pilot can avoid the chance of explosions.

Expanded Rotary Autocannons:

Rotary Autocannon 10s would have a range profile of 1-2-3, and would get 10 shots per ton.

Rotary Autocannon 20s would have a range profile of 0-1-2 and would get 5 shots per ton.

Both of these variants would weigh four more tons and take up two more critical spaces than their standard counterparts. The extra weight over the other two Rotary Autocannons is to account for them being built with heavier materials to handle the stress of the larger rounds as well as offer stability when firing. When firing these weapons, pilots must make a PSR roll at a -2 penalty. If they fail that they fall over. When firing these weapons the pilot must also pass a second PSR or end up firing with a -2 penalty to hit. There is no penalty to the second PSR, but if the pilot fails the first PSR they automatically take the -2 to hit penalty.

Autocannon Weight Modifications:

All Standard Autocannons take up the same critical space under these rules.

Under these rules Autocannon 5s weigh 3 Tons.

Under these rules Autocannon 2s weigh 2 Tons and get 50 rounds per ton instead of 45.

Under these rules Autocannon 10s weigh 6 Tons.

Under these rules Autocannon 20s weigh 12 Tons.

Under these rules Rotary Aurocannon 2s get 50 rounds per ton instead of 45.

Under these rules all Ultra Autocannons and LB-X Autocannons weigh 1 extra ton compared to their standard counterparts and take up one more critical slot.

Under these rules Rotary Autocannons weigh 2 extra tons and take up two extra critical slots compared to their standard counterparts. (One Critcial Slot per LAC/2 and One Critical Slot per LAC/5)

Under these rules Light Autocannons weigh one less ton then their counterparts while retaining their prior count of required critical slots.

Under these rules Hyper-Velocity Autocannons weigh one more ton their standard counterparts while occupying the same critical space.

The logic being Ultra Autocannons need more room for the double fire mechanism and a re-designed feed, the LB-X needs more room and by extension more weight to accommodate the barrel and feed alterations to fire cluster and that the Rotary Autocannons were just bigger and heavier on account of their multiple barrels, Gatling-Style mechanisms and correspondingly different feeds. The Hyper-Velocity Autocannons require heavier materials to make.

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (08/10/19 11:24 PM)
Jerry1234
01/26/20 09:03 PM

Will CATALYST as a brand name successor amend their publications according to this article ? They will surely make an update at some point in the future ? Truth to say the Autocannons (ACs) were made absurdly unrealistically heavy. And during the Clans updates all the energy weapons were clearly favored by the creators.

It is clear that people love to play ACs and see clearly that ACs are out of the favor.

Also If I may I wish to be noted that Rotary ACs are as a model clearly based on an already existing Rotary AC called Vulcan. Aircraft based minigun style rotary AC of a NATO provenience.
M61 Vulcan 20mm RAC. Or Gas operated GAU 4.
see here:
wiki M61_Vulcan

I wish to point out that in the past in the evil Soviet Union interesting design of Dual Barrel Autocannons were developedand truth to say the russians simply love their GSh 30-2. The design is simply very simple and offers faultless operations, high level of accuracy and reliability.

I personaly like them over the Vulcan because this desigh consumes less ammo and requires liturarly 0 maintenance.
I talk about those because we have aviation blood in our family. I myself am from former Warsaw Pact country and am very familiar with GSh 30-2
see here:
wiki Gryazev-Shipunov_GSh-30-2

Having this pointed out I wish to propose the folloving:
New Class of ACs.:

Dual Barrel Autocannon DBAC 2/5

DBAC 2
Mass 5 tons
Heat 1 per Shot
Basic Dmg 2
Regime of fire 1 2 3 (1 single shot. 2 rounds burst. 3 rounds burst.)
Fire 1 2 3 rounds of ammo.
Heat 1 2 3
DMG 2 4 6
Critical Slot: 3 (Ammo slot must be located directly next to the weapon slots.)
1 ton of Ammo: 45 rounds
Range: Min/3 Short/8 Medium/16 Long/24
DMG allocation:
Each burst hits different Mech´s location.
2(3) bursts = 2(3) Hit allocation 2D6 rolls.
(See ´Mech hit location´ table.)
Jamm/Unjamm Rules for DBAC 2.
1. Regime of fire is declared.
2. To Hit Roll 2D6 - Upon determining Hit/Miss.
(This determines chances for malfunction.)
1 round burst - NONE.
2 and 3 rounds burst - 2D6 Roll 2 and 3 indicates Weapon Jamms
To unjamm 2D6 Roll: Piloting skills + mod. +3 (Like RAC rule for unjamming.)

DBAC 5
Mass 7 tons
Heat 1 per Shot
Basic Dmg 5
Regime of fire 1 2 3 (1 single shot. 2 rounds burst. 3 rounds burst.)
Fire 1 2 3 rounds of ammo.
Heat 1 2 3
DMG 5 10 15
Critical Slot: 6 (Ammo slot must be located directly next to the weapon slots.)
1 ton of Ammo: 20 rounds
Range: Min/3 Short/6 Medium/12 Long/18
DMG allocation:
Each burst hits different Mech´s location.
2(3) bursts = 2(3) Hit allocation 2D6 rolls.
(See ´Mech hit location´ table.)
Jamm/Unjamm Rules for DBAC 5.
1. Regime of fire is declared.
2. To Hit Roll 2D6 - Upon determining Hit/Miss.
(This determines chances for malfunction.)
1 round burst - NONE. 2(3) rounds burst - 2D6 Roll 2, 3 and 4 indicates Weapon Jamm.
To unjamm 2D6 Roll: Piloting skills + mod. +3 (Like RAC rule for unjamming.)

To make the story bit more interesting here is some TECHTALK surrounding those two cuties :-)

Project No. 160 K O R D - Dual Barrel Autocannon Class.

Innovative independent line of research by young minds resulted in rediscovering once lost old Terran technology. Dual barrel Cannons were already developed in the old Terran world in around 20th century, remaining in service with various military forces through the 21st, 22nd and early 23rd century. Technology of counter flowing duel of barrels using inertia of the recoil for extraction and cocking of the opposite barrel was rendered obsolete and gradually phased out in the following two centuries.

(For reference pls. see the existing dual barrel cannon GSh-30-2. Developed in Soviet union and still in use. System is unique. Namely efficiency economy and simplicity of the design. As well as reputation of faultless operation. I am not allowed to leave link but this particular cannon is on wikipedia.)

In the years of the boom several newly established design bureaus worked on a unique idea of two barrels operating against each other. Taking advantage of recoil generated by powerful blast by cased ammunition for caliber AC 2 . Recoil seemed powerful enough that ordinary conventional system of recoil reduction resulted in massively overweight systems of existing models of autocannons. AC2, AC 5, AC 10, AC 20 and all subsequent improvements of this design prove unable to deal with the issue of excessive weight placing further strains on the chassis and gun operators. Heavy recoil of such powerful ammunition as is AC 5, AC 10 and almost impossible to control recoil of very powerful AC 20 caused that weight of those weapon systems reached unprecedented levels. Newly proposed solution to this was seemingly idea of two barrels each absorbing the recoil of the tandem sister barrel...

Several prototypes were created and by firing number of experimental cased or caseless cartridges was established that careful managed recoil absorption can be powerful enough to extract, load and prime barrel moving synchronized exact opposite direction. Further prototypes were developed and quickly pt to the test. after aprox. fifty thousand rounds put through the experimental prototype N.205. Designed and developed in Design Bureau of young designers Nikolay Mosin and Jaroslav Strnad. Supervised by none other that grand grand son of author of legendary assault rifle platform AMK 75 - Modernized variant of infantry automatic rifle platform system Korechkin. (His grand grand dad.) He, now some 75 years of age supervised already mentioned young team of Mosin/Strnad. Archibald Arkadiy Korechkin contributed by providing innovative new light weight feeding system from belt less box feeding container. Enabling continual faultless supply of ammo into a weapon capable of self destruction under its own unregulated ever increasing rate of fire !

Autocannon itself is capable of firing burst of ammo in rapid ever increasing succession. When the first barrel reaches maximum forward position. Empty case from expended cartridge is already extracted and new cartridge is ready to be inserted into the chamber at the same moment when the second barrel in the most rear position starts to move forward. Therefore the cadency/rate of fire of such weapon is strictly speaking limited only by the speed of the barrel moving forward and backward under the force of the recoil. That caused several issues with loading and extraction as well as vibrations of firing weapon. Especially when the rate of fire had tendency to grow with the increasing length of the unregulated burst. RESOLUTION. The rate of fire has to be regulated !!! Especially when experimental piece Exp.N. 33 constructed in Mitischinsky Machinostroyniy Zavod (factory) N. 23 self destructed after exceeding perceived impossible rate of fire estimated as unbelievable 2100 rounds per minute. That incident showed the potential for damage to both soft and hard targets. And simultaneously gave the team of designers choices. Fire selector was introduced into the trigger group together with massive muzzle break which is signature feature for this design.

Hence Dual Barrel Autocannon with variable burst speed DBAC 2/5. Caliber 2 and 5 was born.

Finally Project K O R D weapon system Mosin/Strnad/Korechin was phenomenally successful. New class of autocannons was created. DUAL BARREL AUTOCANNON. DBAC 2/5. In Short the DBAC were quickly tested by SDF - Slavic Defence Forces - Institute of Innovations and Adaptations. And DBA 2/5 was quickly recommended for fielding.

Project No. 225 L A N C E
As soon development of DBAC 2/5 better known as Project KORD was successfully closed. Order No.225 Large Caliber DBAC development was issued.

Plan was to adapt already effective and efficient system for higher calibers. Such DBAC 10, 20 and talk was about experimental subclass of heavy autocannon cal. 15. All this effort was aimed to overcome the known weakness of magnetically and electromagnetically accelerated ammunition. Direct variant of Gauss system of kinetic projectiles acceleration/propulsion.

Work was assigned to another design bureau as the Mosin/Strnad/Korechkin was preoccupied with the finishing touches of implementation of program DBAC 2/5 now also known as Project K O R D. As project KORD was a complete success. Sadly project LANCE had issues from the very start. Vibrations, current composite alloy despite greater percentage of Titanium, Vanadium, Chromium and other rare steel additives simply was not hard yet flexible at the same time. Vibrations not only caused deformities in the frame, but also caused that the system had to be recalibrated almost after every 10th or so round sent through this increasingly unreliable weapon system. Vibration and microscopical cracks + additional ware and deformities forced to use increasingly thicker thus heavier parts. Accuracy also became an issue. As vibrations grew stronger with the caliber, so did the over all mass. Simultaneously reliability went down almost exponentially. Several weapons disintegrated after only 4000 rounds and when some staff got hurt during the net catastrophic malfunction. Bureau chief asked Academic Shipunov for assistance. Ans after aprox. three weeks over the drawing board. The combined team sent letter to the chief of the SDF Slavic Defence Force - Institute of Innovations and Adaptations. Informing that weight to caliber ration is exponentially growing. Current steel and titanium alloys are not capable to support the weight and resist the vibration caused by firing such powerful ammo. Further development of Heavy DBAC 20 and it subclass 15 is therefore suspended until metallurgy reaches sufficient level of progress and deliver alloy capable to hold to specifications and requirements unique for this type of material abuse. Hope was mutually shared when smaller caliber cartridge would be discussed.But to develop DBAC of caliber 7 or 8 is not promising any real advantage on the actual battlefield. In Summary Project LANCE was deemed unsuccessful. Due to number of technical issues unable to resolve with current level of metallurgy available.

Also mentioning that by continuing development of similar large caliber Ballistic and Kinetic Weaponry may cause delay and resources allocation issues. Severely interfering with the research for miniaturization in the field of experimental optics. In another words - Lasers.

Yours Sincerely.
Academic Valeriy Shipunov, chief of Academy of Theoretical and experimental science.
Stoyan Yakotych, Chief designer in Experimental Weaponry and Asymmetrical Warfare Bureau.

the TECHTALK ends here.

So pls. guys let me know what do you think?
And before you judge me hrshly, I am a nerd who made it through childhood, puberty, went into college, university and served 3 years in the Army inc. Some Spec.Ops. and later 5 yers in the Prison Service.
DnD and Battletech as well as plasttic kits of aircrats and militaria in general is my lifelong hobby.
I´m not really braging, but mere introducing myself.
All the best.
Jerry1234
Karagin
01/26/20 11:23 PM

My group has done this to many extremes from whole new series of AC "versions and similar weapons" to trying to use the LRM table to simulate the idea that the ACs are firings a stream of shells not just one big one and applying the damage scattered all over the mech similar to the LBX and Missiles.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
01/29/20 02:56 AM

Hey Jerry1234, with respect, that reply doesn't belong here but rather in a thread all of it's own. It's quite good, but I feel like ya hijacked my thread here. Mind you, that's the moderators call, and I'm not familiar with who the mods are around here, could be Karagin for all I know. Just a friendly heads up in case someone DOES have a huge issue. I don't care much personally, but I care enough to say that much. Cheers!

Also, where are ya from in the Warsaw Pact? Folk who've experienced the USSR and/or it's legacy are getting pretty hard to come by these days. Welcome to the forum, btw!
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
Retry
01/30/20 11:53 PM

I concur. It's essentially an unrelated custom weapon piece and should probably have been in the "design" section somewhere. (Personally, I'd just represent them as UACs instead of giving dual-barrel gast guns a category all by themselves, but YMMV).

------------------------------------------------------------

As for the OP, what is the goal you're trying to accomplish? Better ACs or simply different ACs? These new UAC jam rules make the weapon extremely jam ridden in all but the shortest (literally 1 or 2 turn) engagements. IMO, if the reasoning for UAC jamming is due to overheat, cooling between turns would help reduce jamming chances rather than have no effect. Also, how would the wear be handled in persistent encounters? (Multiple scenarios in a campaign)

Rolling 1D6 for RAC jamming is also brutal. Under such rules, there's a 50% chance for a RAC firing 3 times to jam. In fact, such a RAC can't actually fire its full output of 6x without jamming.

The case is similar for HVACs. 50% chance to explode when firing twice in a row is simply massive (not to mention only 1-in-6 chance of nothing bad happening).

Bigger RACs are an interesting idea but they're "overbalanced", in addition to the crippling new RAC rules they've got a massive range cut AND extra rules specific to the RAC/10 and /20 only on top of that, which seems unnecessary.

The autocannon weight modifications are... interesting. The LAC/2, LAC/5 and AC/5 all become downright nasty, and honestly might beat out the medium laser as a general weapon. The "special" ACs don't really because of the aformentioned modifications, except perhaps the LB-Xs that look to be mostly spared. I'd hate to be the guy that has to go through every single Battlemech and Vehicle equipped with ACs and redo their designs since literally every single one of these has had a weight change.

------------------------------------------------------------

I've experimented a bit (okay, a lot) with alternative rules for current ACs as well as new ACs, ammo types, and other equipment. Personally, I prefer a different approach that mostly involves removing some of the "crutches" from the weaker ACs that really don't need them. I won't go into detail here so as to not derail the thread but feel free to ask me to make a thread or PM me if you're interested in them.
Karagin
01/31/20 11:07 AM

Jerry's reply fits the topic since we are talking about different autocannons and such.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
06/03/20 10:32 PM

After re-reading these, man did I do a poor job of explaining them. XD

The Ultra Autocanons would never jam unless you had already fired them twice in Ultra mode, so in effect only the third consecutive firing of any Ultra Autocannon would incur a jam chance. The idea was that it wasn't a random feed jam, but one caused by excessive use of the burst fire "Ultra Mode" you needed to rest the gun between bursts to cool it, and if you overtaxed that, the weapon would begin to degrade and warp, requiring maintenance to reset. That's why the target number never reset, so you only got seven turns, or 70 seconds, of grace period before the gun was effectively kaput for burst mode. It wouldn't jam even after seven turns in normal mode, as assumed Normal mode didn't incur jams.

The Hyper-Velocity Autocannons only have to roll for anything if you fire them twice in a row, if you fire them every other turn, they never incur a chance to explode or foul. If you do fire them twice in a row, it's a one in three chance each time of explosion or a two in six chance of a jam instead. I view these as a "make shift" solution, and thus I don't think they should be very good, but rather "sort of better than standard" Yeah, they reach farther, but need to be fired slower to avoid exploding.

The Rotary Autocannons wouldn't have to check for a jam unless you fired at least three rounds. I was the least clear on this one, as i meant for them to have at most a one in four chance of jamming if you fired all six barrels. The goal was that for each barrel after the first two, you added one to the penalty. So the most you could use was all 6, 6-2=4, so at most the penalty to jam was a +4 and at least it was a +1.

For the weight amendments I was tempted to just halve the weights of the AC/5 and AC/2 and leave the AC/10 and AC/20 unchanged, but I settled on those weights to account for at least one ton of ammo. The AC/10 and AC/20 were reduced to ensure that with two tons of ammo their weight was unchanged. For the AC/5 and AC/2 the goal was to have them weigh half as much as the originals when you included a ton of ammunition. So the AC/2 would be three tons and two crits: two tons for the gun and one ton for the ammo, while the AC/5 would be four tons and five crits with one ton of ammo. The originals were six tons and eight tons without ammo, so I wanted the tweaked versions to be half the weight of the original guns before ammo, but only after the new guns were supplied ammo. Five crits for an AC/5 and two crits for an AC/2 still make the Medium Laser and Large Laser competitive against those after you factor in the weight and the heat. Meanwhile the lightened AC/10 and AC/20 meant that they could compete with PPCs, Large Lasers, massed Medium Lasers and massed SRMs with them requiring a lot of critical slots, but less so than the Double Heatsinks after a PPC or two, so that they scaled better with backup energy weapons and/or supplemental missile weapons compared to a design which used PPCs or Large Lasers as the principal armaments. The LB-X, Ultra, Rotary, and Hyper-Velocity versions would be based on the new versions, so as to retain scale.

I think the weight restrictions could be excluded, but instead just make all Autocannons fire two shots as standard. So the AC/2 would be 2x2, rolling two locations on a hit. The AC/5 would be a 5x2, same deal. The Ultras would be two firings, so an Ultra AC/5 would be a pair of 5x2s with the penalty to hit on the second burst, a Rotary AC/5 would be six 5x2s, etc. The LB-X AC/5 would be a 5x2 or a pair of cluster hits. If they're so damn heavy and ammo dependent to boot, it think they should be scary powerful to compensate. Nine tons and five crits for an AC/5 and one ton of ammo isn't great, but being able to dish out two five point shots means you're getting five damage per 4.5 tons and 2.5 crits, and 200 damage per ton instead of the typical 100. That's a pretty fair good deal IMO.

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (06/03/20 10:37 PM)
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
06/03/20 11:19 PM

As for Ultras in persistent campaigns... I haven't hashed that out yet honestly. I've done some mock battles with these new rules and the double shot Autocannons, and they seem to be better. The goal was to make better ACs, and I feel that I have succeeded. The weight changes were overkill and hard to implement, so I scrapped them. I ended up liking the concept of ACs just being a big hitter weapon compared to energy weapons.

The AC/10 in practice felt like a big gun compared to a PPC under the two shot rules, but compared to the PPC the AC/10 felt more like a sprinter while the PPC was more of a marathon runner. The PPC still felt powerful, even with Single Heat Sinks it had a lot of range and no ammo to blow up or run out of, but it felt like the AC/10 now had a flavor of it's own and a reason to exist after double heat sinks.

The AC/20 felt like the penultimate "oh ****" gun, while the LB-X 10 AC/10 felt like a flexible and potent high-tech main armament. The AC/5 and AC/2 felt like good general purpose weapons, a "big gun" for Light or Medium 'Mechs, while the Ultra AC/5 felt like a powerful, long-range, and low heat option for Medium and Heavy 'Mechs. The other Ultra ACs definitely felt very strong compared to their standard counter parts and proved better for short to medium length engagements.

Burning through the two turn grace period was easy with small versions, while big versions still had the trouble of needing to get into range and running out of ammo. It worked out pretty well honestly, and balanced out the need to "kill it faster" with the need to "not burn up my main weapon" quite well. The LB-X versions ended up being high-tech and expensive guns which gave you better range and tactical flexibility at the cost of more C-Bills and scarcity.

There really would not be a reason to not mount an LB-X AC if you could, outside of time frame and sourcing replacement parts and/or ammo. The Rotaries became downright stupid powerful, but I found that power was tempered by the jamming risk of firing more than two barrels at a time. The RAC 10 and RAC 20 were still way too powerful IMO, but they were quite fun. I don't think I'll adopt them on the grounds that it's easy to abuse them with a High Gunnery Skill / Low Piloting Skill Mechwarrior (4/1 is fine).

Six rounds worth of 20x2 shots is... powerful... Having to get to 1 Hex to shoot at Medium range isn't too bad considering you could do 240 damage per shot and un-jam in the field. Also, after testing I realized the PSRs typically occur after the firing phase, so they ended up forcing me to make special PSRs mid-firing and threw off the flow of the game. The Hyper Velocity guns felt just right IMO, a quirky makeshift gun with flavor and utility; never a clear cut winner over a standard AC, but a good gun for when you want to reach out and touch someone.

I am considering testing a HVAC/20, weighing 16 tons, taking up 12 critical slots and only having 3 rounds per ton. The gun would have a range of 1-9 for Short, 10-14 for Medium and 15-17 for Long. The gun itself would cost 345,000 C-Bills with ammo costing 33,000 C-bills per ton. I think under these new rules it would prove to be a powerful, but niche weapon. More range than Large Lasers and many of the smaller Autocannons, more alpha damage than PPCs and many of the larger Autocannons, but next to nothing in terms of endurance. Good for popping off some big shots at long range if you've loaded up the ammo for it or just feeling lucky. The short range is also the long range of a regular AC/20.

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (06/03/20 11:20 PM)
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
06/03/20 11:38 PM

The RAC 10 and RAC 20 for these tests were as such:

RAC/10:
-12 Tons, 5 crits, 10 Shots per ton of ammo
Range - 0-1 Short, 2 Medium, 3 Long

RAC/20:
- 14 Tons, 8 crits, 5 shots per ton of ammo
Range - 0 Short, 1 Medium, 2 Long

Costs had not yet been figured out, so I used the costs for the Ultra AC/10s and Ultra AC/20s as placeholders. These weapons have been excluded from my alternate rules as I feel they are overpowered even with all the extra penalties.

Important to note: RAC/2s and RAC/5s required no PSR to shoot, only the 10s and 20s needed those and they still failed to really balance it. 16 tons and 10 crits got you 400 damage total for the RAC/20, and you could apply it 240 points at a time. 19.5 tons of armor on a 100-ton Assault 'Mech would only net you 307 points in total. These 240 points would be allocated in 20 point hits... 12 times... If a 'Mech got in close with one of these, it would be guaranteed to delete an Atlas in one shot if it hit.

The Ultra 20s under these rules can also delete an Atlas in one shot, but with only four 20 point hits and needing to expend two shots to do so, the Atlas would have a chance to defend itself. The problem was more from these RACs being able to throw all that damage down range in one turn, so you couldn't face away and show a fresh(er) side to mitigate the damage as you were dead on the spot.

The RAC/10s in practice were less powerful than the RAC/20s, and both of them were really only good for deleting big slow Assaults when mounted on fast Heavies. The RAC/10s had more range, but not enough to really matter and both ended up being more or less the same gun. The RAC/20 ended up being the "surer bet" of the two, and since they both could only really do one thing well, the RAC/10 became more or less superfluous except as a "lighter" RAC/20.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7728

Contact Admins Sarna.net