Sidelining other units for only BattleMechs

Pages: 1
Wrangler
08/05/19 05:25 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I know this sound negative, but this seems to be happening. I'm going put this poll, i know not much traffic come here, but i'm going try anyways.

Summary:
For last two reprint/reorganizations of Technical Readouts which only includes BattleMechs in them.

Now i asked on the official Battletech boards where the other vehicles/aerospace fighters/infantry/etc going end up going?

I got this answer. Record Sheets only for the time being.

I understand they can't talk about what their future plans are. That they're trying bring in new audience.

Battletech is going get bit boring with only BattleMechs. Don't get me wrong i got into this game because of them, but having other types of units makes the game feel more broad. Perhaps more realistic insense, not cartoonish.

I honestly think this unhealthy focus of too much Battlemechs only will shorten life of the game.

Frankly, i think this gamble that will hurt the game in the long run.
Should Battletech be focus on only BattleMechs only?
You may choose 2
Yes, game only about BattleMechs
No, i like variety in my game.

Votes accepted from (08/05/19 04:24 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

When it hits the fan, make sure your locked, loaded, and ready to go!
Karagin
08/05/19 06:01 PM

They will get to the rest but as for where you went for your answer...I would be leery of the official boards, mainly because too many there are quick to answer and then end up being wrong once the actual staff that works for CGL replies back. Unless it's something for the LD or higher I wouldn't take it at face value. They have changed their minds far to often to believe the first answers from the boards.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
08/05/19 06:23 PM

Mechs are the most popular thing to use. And yet, they way the rules are, they can be one of the weakest.
So they nerf vehicles and such, though part of this was a lack of really abusing the rules to find the holes in them.
Aerotech, being a big one for being overpowered. In the original book, you could strafe a whole map, possibly hitting all targets in the path with energy weapons, and there wasn't much you could do about it.
Warships got changed as well. A single shot under the old rules, could wipe out a unit if you were lucky enough.

I don't think the game should run all battlemechs. You would lose not only vehicles, fighters, possibly dropships, but infantry it all of their forms, including Battle Armor.
I think they are sticking with the mechs for now, so they can figure out what they are doing with the rules. Construction is a big thing, as well as non energy weapons heat for them. No heat build up using them.
So mechs tend to find themselves out gunned.
There are downsides to vehicles, but most of that comes if you are playing with an economy. Costs of ammo being a big one. Other then that, the inability of vehicles to enter certain terrain. Which doesn't fit with the real world, as tracked vehicles can run thru forests even without roads.

But money is the bottom line on what gets done. Mech TROs are more likely to sell the a vehicle TRO.
For a lot of people, this is fine. They are the death match type of players. Mech on Mech, or they don't play.
I don't mind it, but a lot hate it.
Wrangler
08/05/19 07:53 PM

Issue was, the staff did get back to me. That's why i shocked and saddened. I hope they change their minds or they could lose chunk of the player population.
ghostrider
08/05/19 07:56 PM

Did they give up trying to fix the mistakes they made with the rules?
Get rid of the things that didn't work, and stick with the things that didn't work?
Oh sorry. I meant stick with mechs. Betting there will be a few stock vehicles, and leave it at that, if they do get rid of the other TROs.
Guessing the Argo and monitor ideas really gave them a headache.
But then, that is their own fault for saying it won't happen, then do it.
Requiem
08/06/19 03:31 AM

Sidelining other units – infantry, power armour, armour, artillery, aerospace etc I believe would have an overall detrimental effect upon the game as for those that play like to have a combined arms approach to the game – as it makes the game a somewhat more realistic event ….

However, if the game were to adapt new weapons to their ‘Mechs making all other units obsolete would this be such a bad thing?

Consider it from the point of view from how the flow of the game is maintained?

Until new laws are introduced to make the flow of the game more streamlined from the point of view of combined arms units upon the battlefield at the same time . Combined arms units makes the game a little clunky to play …. Whereas a pure ‘Mech game could be considered to be steamlined.

Then there is the idea of ranges and how it relates to some of these units – consider the infantry and their reduced range of 30m – eliminating infantry eliminates this issue.

Then there is the overall rules for all the different units – eliminating these units and you eliminate the need for a large an quite preposterous book – streamlining the rule book as it were.

However the question must be asked as to how you get rid of the commando insertion unit? I am a complete loss as to how this could be done – thus there must always be a power armour and the vehicles necessary to move them with all due alacrity upon the battlefield.

Then there is the warship and the orbital bombardment – doubt they can ever be removed unless there is the introduction of the energy shield to negate its effects …

Thus there will always be the objective of shutting down the enemies energy shield so that an orbital bombardment could be utilized within the game….

It could be done but should it be done?

However the overall point is mute – if you only play ‘Mech units at you home game does this make a difference to how you play the game? Individuals should be allowed the freedom to choose their own style of play.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Karagin
08/06/19 09:36 AM

They didn't say they were getting rid of things. Wow...they know vehicles sell and they know folks use them. Let's see what happens after the KS is done and we can then go nuts over what they do.
Karagin

Wrangler
08/06/19 12:47 PM

Quote:
They didn't say they were getting rid of things. Wow...they know vehicles sell and they know folks use them. Let's see what happens after the KS is done and we can then go nuts over what they do.

Well, they had said during the "Catching Up with Catalyst" youtube said that they were reorganizing the Technical Readout books. I thought they were just talking about ditching the years for eras. Their dumping everything other than Mechs, but didn't mention it.

Unless the previous Gencon meeting with the company mentioned that when the Succession Wars book came out.
ghostrider
08/06/19 01:22 PM

If people want a pure mech game, then there are other systems that would be better for them.
As said before, a lot of people seem to want a pure mech game, as fighting anything seems like a lower point of the game.
Though if they really wanted to remove issues with some of them, then just make a generic set of tanks, and remove the ability to design them.
I will use robotech as an example here.
They have only certain mecha, vehicles and such. You don't make a new design. It is more of a pure mech set up. So if you wanted to do that, then Solaris or maybe having the missions all deal with just mech on mech.

Combined arms units makes the game a little clunky to play …. Whereas a pure ‘Mech game could be considered to be streamlined.
Rules that work makes the game streamlined. A pure mech game isn't. But as said. The scenarios you run would take care of that.

Reorganizing them? So they are going to re-release the old TROs, but a little more streamlined?
Hopefully, they update the units so they are better made.
And remove the odd crap from the fluff. The Javelin having a +1 piloting penalty for being top heavy comes to mind right now.
Remove the old pics that got them in trouble, yet keep the 'unseen' units in the game.
Karagin
08/06/19 11:41 PM

Quote:

Well, they had said during the "Catching Up with Catalyst" youtube said that they were reorganizing the Technical Readout books. I thought they were just talking about ditching the years for eras. Their dumping everything other than Mechs, but didn't mention it.

Unless the previous Gencon meeting with the company mentioned that when the Succession Wars book came out.

Did they say they were removing them? Or are you assuming this because they haven't put out any info? It sounds like you have already made up your mind that they are getting rid of all non-Mech units, which doesn't seem to be the case nor is there any info out that supports that.
Karagin

Karagin
08/06/19 11:47 PM

Also the Total Warfare aka the RULE BOOK, still has vehicles etc... in it, they aren't going any place, just the miniatures are getting updated and they are pushing the beginners stuff with mechs, just like that have with ALL the box sets from day one of BATTLEDROIDS
Karagin

csadn
08/07/19 03:05 AM

Back in '94, I showed a FASA employee my files demonstrating the absolutely *horrific* effects of Air Power on Ground Forces -- and I don't mean AS Fighters with bombs; I'm talking "VTOL Spam". (Look at a copy of _The Rules Of Warfare_ sometime, particularly the state of air-vs.-ground to-hit mods.) Add to this "using VTOLs as bombers" (for some reason, the rules of the time did not have Level-Bombing rules; so we had to Be Creative...), and, well, let's just say: The Clan Invasion ended quite a bit differently for us than it did for the Official History.

He looked at my stuff, looked me dead in the eyes, and said: "If you *ever* show this to another living soul, We Will Hunt You The [CENSORED] *DOWN*."

(As I like to tell the Infantry Types and Wehraboos I know: "I have played many Ground-Combat Games which have been forces to Magically Eliminate Air Power; I have yet to play the Air-Combat Game which has been forced to Magically Eliminate Ground Power." See also: Which BT Nation I name in my .sig block. >:) )
CF

Oregon: The "Outworlds Alliance" of the United States of America
ghostrider
08/07/19 01:44 PM

I agree csadn.
Air power can make it so you don't need ground forces.
Especially if the have to travel across space, to you. Wipe out the ground forces before they land. Done and over with.
As I said before. The strafe in the original form was too powerful. But they went to far in the opposite direction.
Though I still would like to know how you get a PPC to fire constantly.

As said in a previous thread. That reality would basically nullify the entire game. With the 'new' clan tech, it becomes even more likely to kill the game. Warships taking out any that don't have them, and destroying any dropship that doesn't surrender. Jumpships would be captured, so your ride out is gone.

And what would the effects of the clan war be if you had access to drones?
I think this is the reason the removed things like ICBM and cruise missiles. It 5 million c-bills worth it to take out a company and their Union dropship?
You betcha.
Karagin
08/07/19 03:07 PM

SO back to the topic, there are NO plans to sideline the vehicles etc...the game has the mechs as king, everything else is second place to them. Nothing has changed, the Kickstarter has Elementals included, so there is that and given that EVERY new Box has nothing but mechs, yet vehicles were in the rules. The rules have not removed them, and the two beginner levels TROs which are the new Succession Wars and Clan Invasion TROs are doing the same. Vehicles, infantry etc...have always been advanced level rules items.

No where on the link or statement from Ray does it say vehicles are gone or removed, they are not priority right now and really never have been.
Karagin

ghostrider
08/12/19 02:52 AM

I guess here would be as good of a place for this as anywhere else.

Has their been any talk of putting a jump drive in a dropship, now that compact jump drives are available?
With this, does the Bugeyes have the ability to land planetside?

The idea came up while thinking of jumpships and warships, and an easier, or sneakier way, of getting forces into a system and landed.
I am not talking of putting them on a Leopard or some thing this small, but maybe a Vengeance, or something as large. No. I don't expect the fighter capacity, but just a simple 18 fighters or say an Overlord, Excalibur or even new dropship to use one. Recharge with the drives, as they would be needed to and from the planet.
And no. This is not to put capital class weapons on them.
Karagin
08/12/19 09:38 PM

Quote:
I guess here would be as good of a place for this as anywhere else.

Has their been any talk of putting a jump drive in a dropship, now that compact jump drives are available?
With this, does the Bugeyes have the ability to land planetside?

The idea came up while thinking of jumpships and warships, and an easier, or sneakier way, of getting forces into a system and landed.
I am not talking of putting them on a Leopard or some thing this small, but maybe a Vengeance, or something as large. No. I don't expect the fighter capacity, but just a simple 18 fighters or say an Overlord, Excalibur or even new dropship to use one. Recharge with the drives, as they would be needed to and from the planet.
And no. This is not to put capital class weapons on them.

Mammoth Class Dropship...
Karagin

Wrangler
09/03/19 12:37 PM

I'm just saying, TRO wise, their not being published now. Since CGL trying sell the Mech aspect of the game.
I know it's survival purposes, but i don't like it. Less seen, less used especially by new new players.
Karagin
09/03/19 05:48 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying, TRO wise, their not being published now. Since CGL trying sell the Mech aspect of the game.
I know it's survival purposes, but i don't like it. Less seen, less used especially by new new players.

One last time, DURING the LIVE Q&A for the Kickstarter I asked about vehicls and IWM, vehicles ARE NOT GOING AWAY, they will still be in the game and they will be supported and eventually re-scuplted as needed. So this an official statement vehicles are NOT being sidelined.

Iron Wind Metals is NOT going away, metal and plastic will be made available for mechs, both CGL and IWM are working together since each plastic mech will have a metal counterpart of the same style.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3703

Contact Admins Sarna.net