BLR-1S modification advice

Pages: 1
Petrograd
10/16/19 06:14 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm playing in a 3025 game in MegaMek with some friends, and my pilot switched from a Catapult to a BLR-1S after we captured and retrofitted one.

I like the 1S a lot, the only issue being the limited LRM 15 ammo. I'm considering modifying the close-in weapons so I can carry an extra ton. We also recently recovered a losttech CASE system for one section.

And I see it, the main options to get some weight are 1: ditching a medium laser for the ammo or 2: dropping both SRM-2s and ammo, putting in the LRM 15 ammo with CASE, and throwing in a fifth medium laser and a half-ton of armor. I can post a build, but I'm just looking at it loosely for now.

Would I be missing something important by swapping the SRMs for a medium laser and CASE? Would losing the laser be better balanced?
Karagin
10/16/19 08:13 AM

Two questions:

1) What are you doing with the BLR-1S to need more LRM15 ammo to start with?
2) Have you tried running the same mech in the table top game to figure out IF MegaMek is even showing the correct way to handle the weapon load out? I ask this because MegaMek IS NOT the board game and designs are known to work differently in that vs the actual game.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Petrograd
10/16/19 12:58 PM

Thanks for your reply.

1) We tend to play against waves of enemies that come in at different intervals, so it helps to be able to engage at range. Our other pilots run faster mechs and jump around, so sometimes I end up in a fire support role for a large portion of the game. (Edit: Sometimes this also means I'll be holding a flank for a few turns.) Also, I'm often splitting my fire between multiple targets.

We tend to let our games run to 15 turns, so it's easy to run out of LRM 15 ammo before it could still be of use.

2) I haven't been able to play it in person. I moved across the country from my game group, and mostly play to spend time with them. Even if the rules don't work quite the same, I'd still appreciate the advice.

Edited by Petrograd (10/16/19 01:13 PM)
Karagin
10/16/19 01:28 PM

So you are engaging targets even if the to hit numbers are to high...try NOT using everything every time you see an enemy mech etc...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
10/16/19 10:58 PM

Have you tried the 1R version of the Battlemaster?
The one with a ppc and no lrms?

The srm 2 is a bit of a weak weapon. The ammo is a liability when being hit, and 50 shots is a bit risky to have when being hit internally. As you have an lrm 5, it might be worth it to increase that to a 10 at the expense of the srm system.

2 or 4 points of damage for relatively low heat is a good thing. The range is a limitation.
I have personally had bad heat rolls and ammo blew up from it, so I may be a little biased on this.

Edited by ghostrider (10/16/19 11:02 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2251

Contact Admins Sarna.net