Can LRMs with special warheads be hot loaded?

Pages: 1
Karagin
09/11/19 08:51 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay this came up, can LRMs with special warheads like the EMP thing from THB etc..be hot loaded like normal LRMs?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
FrabbyModerator
09/11/19 11:34 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression was that "hot-loading" was an optional rule from Tactical Handbook.

As far as the core rules are concerned, there is no drawback to firing LRMs below their minimum range beyond the +1 to-hit for every hex below the threshold. As such, that would apply to any and all loadouts: They can be fired at any range, but incur the penalty when doing so.
ghostrider
09/11/19 12:02 PM

The fluff of lrms that I have seen, suggests that they do not arm until they reach a certain distance. Well normal IS ones. Clan lrms are active when they leave the tubes.

As for hot loading, I really don't see why.
Though from a game view, I would think they would need time to 'reconfigure' or be loaded into the bins as such. Much like the manual/automatic modes seen in movies for dropping torpedoes from old planes.
Then again, there may well be a simple switch or button that changes arming range in the cockpit.
Again. As there is no difference in the ammo between IS and clan, I would think all can be instant armed out of tube.
Karagin
09/11/19 08:06 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression was that "hot-loading" was an optional rule from Tactical Handbook.

Didn't it carry over to Max Tech?

Quote:

As far as the core rules are concerned, there is no drawback to firing LRMs below their minimum range beyond the +1 to-hit for every hex below the threshold. As such, that would apply to any and all loadouts: They can be fired at any range, but incur the penalty when doing so.

The plus one per hex issue would be a reason to hot load them.
Karagin

ZekeCrane
10/18/19 03:02 PM

"Anything not forbidden is permitted."

I'd argue yes, with the understanding of 'bad things will happen if you take a hit in the launch tubes while hot loading'.
ghostrider
10/18/19 06:10 PM

As said before. The clans have no minimum range on the lrms, so that must mean hot loaded.
As the ammo isn't any different from IS (because you can use any on both styles), saying you couldn't is suggesting both are considered illegal.
There is no additional issues when their launchers get hit in combat, so extra bad things would be highly illogical.
I don't really like the bs of minimum ranges on IS lrms, but I can at least believe part of the IS protocols that prevent them from arming until x range. I can also put up with the IS lrms have launchers that tend to be pointed upwards some.
But then that would mean IS ammo being used in clan launchers wouldn't get the range or IDF abilities, as they are fired on a more flat tragetory.
The only one I would say no to, might be the thunderbolt launcher as it will affect a unit if close to each other. And even then it is questionable. Splash damage comes to mind, but there isn't anything said about the ac 20 at point blank range. Even the 10 doesn't have issues. Only missiles.. And yet the ac ammo is supposed to be explosive according to the fluff and novels.

Which does bring up a question on this.
Except for the developers wanting to keep IS hobbled, why hasn't the IS used clan programs and such to upgrade the lrms so they can fire without a minimum? By 3100 or even 3080, is should be automatic, as new launchers should have it.
Karagin
10/20/19 08:34 PM

Quote:

Which does bring up a question on this.
Except for the developers wanting to keep IS hobbled, why hasn't the IS used clan programs and such to upgrade the lrms so they can fire without a minimum? By 3100 or even 3080, is should be automatic, as new launchers should have it.

Plot armor
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2230

Contact Admins Sarna.net