A what if scenario

Pages: 1
ghostrider
10/09/19 11:55 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What if the Bandit caste was formed when someone from the IS or even a colony that was that deep into space, made contact with disgruntled members of the warrior caste, and gave them the idea that they did not have to abide by their leaders rules?

I would like to know if anyone is willing to put up some thoughts on this, as I have not heard how the caste actually got started.
Was it before or after the Wolverines left?
Did the Wolverines have anything to do with it?
Could it have been the scientist caste looking for a way to counter the warrior caste's decisions on how things were done?
Requiem
10/10/19 06:04 PM

After Reading the Wiki re: the Dark / Bandit Caste I would assume they have always existed, from the earliest days of the founding of the Clans, through to the present days.

Those who would not join Kerensky’s Clan Society left and formed their own nomadic society – always on the run from the Clans.

The Wolverines did not have anything to do with the Bandit Caste – though I would assume that during their destruction those that were unable to leave with the Wolverines Fleet and were not captured and castrated made their way to the Bandit Caste.

One of the reasons the Clans have never destroyed them outright – they act as a necessary safety valve upon the Clans society – any malcontents can be gotten rid of – and they allow their warriors to sharpen their claws if they begin to pose a threat.

Suggest you look at the old anime Exo-Squad – look at Simbaka’s Pirates – this would, in my opinion, give you a good starting point for developing a Pirate / Dard Caste hybrid force.

Hidden bases – Hidden Ships – Hidden weapon manufactories etc.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ZekeCrane
10/15/19 11:00 PM

One of the corebooks on the Clans talks about the Dark Caste lifestyle.

The Dark Caste tends to avoid building permanent settlements, since sooner or later the Clans come calling for a live-fire exercise. Expect to see mobile gear and encampments, even facilities.
ghostrider
10/16/19 01:00 AM

I think the tends to is the key. What better way to hide a base, then keep the enemy focused on your forces, or trying to find them?
But it does also have to be asked, where do they get their equipment and how to the repair it without outside help?
You need factories and repair bays, as well as food, fuel and such.
And how did they get and keep dropships and jumpships?
I seriously doubt the clan leadership would allow them to keep such items. Even though they are considered dezgra, the warriors would find it an affront that washouts were taking and corrupting clan equipment. Leaving the stranded on a single world, so they could do live fire excersizes against them does sound about right, letting them get off world and infect other worlds would or should make them sick just thinking about it.

So they had to be getting help from inside the clans themselves. Looting shipments would have enraged the warriors and shame the leaders.

I wasn't looking to make some sort of force for the dark caste, but seeing if the idea was completely wrong, or if it was possible for the beginning of the dark caste.
If they existed from the earliest days, the Nicholas would have had them hunted down. The clans would not have called them dezgra at that point, and would find their living outside of the society something that would need to be exterminated. All must be clan, or it falls apart.
ZekeCrane
10/18/19 02:59 PM

You're missing the bigger picture. The Clan leadership DOES turn a blind eye to the Dark Caste.

As long as the Dark Caste never pose a true threat to the Clans, they serve a dual purpose: live fire training, and a dumping ground for malcontents. Bandits never really get along all that well in the Inner Sphere, and the Dark Caste is no exception, so there's no monolithic 'Dark Caste' empire (the closest you might see were those members who served the Society -- and we saw how THAT turned out).

So a Jumpship gets stolen now and then, a second-line or solahma garrison gets robbed, and the Clans keep their chew-toy for their warriors to gnaw on when there aren't any good fights.
ghostrider
10/18/19 06:01 PM

I was suggesting there are those still in the main stream clan society that is helping the Dark Caste. Stealing a jumpship would definitely get the clan leaders to react, as it would get multiple calls for a trial of position or grievance, as it would show the clan as weak among their own warriors as well as the other clans. Even mechs would bring that about.

I will agree that the entire pirate section of the IS has not been in agreement, but more then a few have joined together to become a major nuisance.
With the Dark Caste, it is very possible they are one large group. I have yet to see anything about 2 groups of them running into each other. It may just be the developers haven't said such a thing.
But without a steady support of things the Caste couldn't have running from clan warriors, they could not continue. Mobile mech repairs is possible, but rebuilding a jump drive is not something you can do without proper facitlites, and that is impossible without someone helping you out.
Driving up to a ship yard and demanding they not only fix the ship, but not to report the stolen ship to the clan leaders isn't going to happen often.
Any jumpship damaged in combat would very much be watched for in any such yards. And don't even try to suggest they could fight for it. I can guarantee the ship yards do have warships guarding them, as well as other clan warriors ready to defend their positions. Even if the enemy is just dezgra bandits. To lose to them would mean suicide of their careers.
Requiem
10/19/19 07:48 PM

Can we consider the Dark Caste the “mercenaries” of the Clans?

When the Khans wanted their enemy harmed - whilst at the same time keeping their fingerprints from the weapon – they would contract the dark caste to do their dirty work – for which they were paid in goods they required to keep them alive.
In my opinion, there is good reason to consider this a possibility.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2296

Contact Admins Sarna.net