Battletech Movies

Pages: 1
Merlok
10/21/19 08:18 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi All,

I really, really love Battletech...so much so, why have there not been any movies made about this universe yet? I can assume the first answer to this question would be technology? How many movies would it take to tell the Battletech story in it's entirety from the Age of War to Dark Age? Would it work better to make twelve movies as three trilogies each? I think it is time Battletech graced the big screen!

Trilogy 1-3 Age of War, Star League
Trilogy 4-6 Succession Wars
Trilogy 7-9 Clan Invasion, Civil War
Trilogy 10-12 Jihad, Republic, Dark Age
This Battletech thing is so exciting I just couldn't give it up. It gets in your blood or something; I don't know.
ghostrider
10/21/19 08:52 PM

Copyrights to begin with. Some images were deemed property belonging to others in the early game form.
They did have a cartoon for a while, but a few things were not up to par in my opinion.
An old movie called Robojocks hits on this slightly. Large robots fight for territory in the future. Only on earth, but it was a start.

Another is a plague in hollywood. A good story line. You need something good to make a movie about, and some of the novels that are out have the ability to deliver, but have to have more explained about it. A trilogy following a warrior from graduating an academy into adult hood would be nice, like maybe the birth of the Grey Death Legion. But that leads to another issue.
Money.
It is highly unlikely the current owners of the game will fund any such project, and more then likely sue anyone else that does. The closest thing to movies is some of the video games out there.
The technology to do computer graphics has improved dramatically, and the price has come down, as some are low budget films but have good effects.
Along with that, casting would be an issue. Big names draws an audience, but that isn't guaranteed to succeed. Some of those that have all new people have done well, but again, it goes to story line, and even directors.
Halo has a few out, with some stinkers and some that were pretty good, in my opinion. Some fan made ones being decent, though the special effects look like they were done by someone just learning how to make them. Not knocking the attempt, as it was the one thing that wasn't up to par. Other fan films have come out with other games as well.
But if you are trying to get something going, I wouldn't doubt a few here would want to be in it.

As a side note, the jihad seems to be one era most here would want to erase from the history of the game. But again. It is up to someone to decide if they like it or not.

Edited by ghostrider (10/21/19 08:53 PM)
Merlok
10/21/19 09:29 PM

@ghostrider

I have almost every shred of Battletech/Mechwarrior media to date from FASA to CGL. I took a break from Battletech for a while because much of the lore became soup in my brain, but I am back in the saddle now reading the novels exclusively. I am actually reading "Decision at Thunder Rift" right now which follows the Saga of the Gray Death Legion. Amazing book!!! I finished reading "The Sword and the Dagger" not long ago.

You are correct that there are a lot of variables hindering a project like this coming to fruition (e.g. Copyrights, storyline, money, budget, casting, and quality of production.) I wish I could get something like this going and it is good to hear that the fandom would back it up even taking roles, etc...I really do think there is a market for the giant robot genre on the big screen in live-action. It is just a matter of time before it happens. I will consider it.
This Battletech thing is so exciting I just couldn't give it up. It gets in your blood or something; I don't know.
ghostrider
10/22/19 01:14 AM

The Sword and the Dagger is one of the few novels before the clan war that I haven't read.
I would love to see some good movies with battlemechs, and even the personal story lines of some of the characters, such as Hanse Davion, and Takashi Kurita. But the big issue I could see with that is you would have to limit the number of characters, like maybe run a merc group as the main story line. You could use the names, but limit the actual appearances of those characters.

The ability to see a dropship dock with a jumpship in something better then a video game would be awesome, as well as a mech drop from orbit. I can see it being costly for battles as the amount of damage done to not only the units, but the terrain as well. But then a good CGI program could lessen that a lot. A few of the TV shows has some good effects in them, and I doubt they are that high budget productions.

But step one might be see if you can get the developers to even agree to even discuss it. I know lawyers would have to get involved, which is the hard part. A few threads have stated they are not really inclined to allow any control outside of their hands for the game. The Eridani Light Horse merc group is a good example of that. They killed off the group to avoid allowing the creator of the unit to keep one lance to use as his own. I hear there is more to it, so this is a glossed over version of it.
Requiem
10/22/19 06:15 PM

Have a look at the new animated series gen: Lock

Not only look at their Mechs / Fighters, but also have a real close look at their base and support systems

I believe this could provide ideas for your own game

I wonder if they will turn this into its own stand alone game - computer or otherwise?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2100

Contact Admins Sarna.net