Battletech Timeline

Pages: 1
Merlok
10/21/19 12:13 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi All,

I am new here. The Abbreviated History of the Battletech Universe is very informative, but is there another timeline that is more comprehensive? Also, who are the good guys and the bad guys when it comes to the Successor Lords?
This Battletech thing is so exciting I just couldn't give it up. It gets in your blood or something; I don't know.
Karagin
10/21/19 12:49 PM

The last part of your question is subjective, each House see's themselves as the good guys and everyone else as the bad guys. Some players will tell you that FedSuns are the good guys others will claim it's the Lyran Commonwealth or Free Worlds League or the CapCon. Some will say that it's Draconius Combine or even ComStar...what it comes down to is this, pick a House you like and then that is who the good guys are to you. To sum it up - NONE are the good guys and NONE are the bad guys.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Merlok
10/21/19 03:08 PM

@Karagin,

Thanks for the insight. The houses in Battletech are akin to the houses in Game of Thrones. Everyone see themselves as good for seeking claim to the Iron Throne as the Successor Lords see themselves as good for seeking claim as the First Lord. Interesting...
This Battletech thing is so exciting I just couldn't give it up. It gets in your blood or something; I don't know.

Edited by Merlok (10/21/19 03:14 PM)
ghostrider
10/21/19 08:41 PM

There is a little more then just that when saying who is good and who is bad.
As all houses had what is morally considered 'good' and 'bad' rulers in their history. Depending on the time era, and your personal feelings, depend on who would be most suited for you.
It is much like saying you like half a dozen, but don't like 6, or the other way around.

To complicate it some more, not just the successor state can be said to be either/or, but regional lords can be the same. One of the lords might be what you agree with, but as Karagin says, someone else might think they are bad. So the ruling lord might be horrible, the regional lord may well be someone you can work for, or with.
And this is if you run canon with things. Once your game group finds their stride, it may well be whom ever is running the scenarios might polarize it to give you the feeling like being a knight in the middle ages.
And so you know, there are a few people that like to run pirate operations. Raid, and get out without having to deal with someone over you.
Some might think being a merc does that as well, but you ultimately have to deal with your employer. Some will kick you out for violating their laws.
csadn
10/25/19 04:12 AM

Outworlds Alliance are the Good Guys -- they leave their neighbors alone.

And look at their track-record: They beat the Star League; they beat the Clans; they beat the Jihad. In the immortal words of Goldberg: "WHO'S NEXT?"

CF

Oregon: The "Outworlds Alliance" of the United States of America
happyguy49
10/25/19 01:19 PM

OP, there really aren't any good guys, not since the fall of the Star League, and even they were terribly oppressive to the Periphery. csadn is right that the Outworlds Alliance is the only even minor power I can think of that hasn't been all invadey and conquery at some point in its history.

That said, there are clear differences between bad guys and WORSE GUYS. The two powers that are historically seen as pure evil are the Rim Worlds under Amaris, due to its destruction of the Star League, and the WoB due to the Jihad.

When Battletech was young, like in the 1980's when it was created, you definitely did get a vibe that the Davions and Steiners were 'good' and the Liaos and Kuritas were 'bad', probably due to the original authors subconsciously channeling some of that late-cold war yellow peril and Japan bashing that was part of the American zeitgeist of the time.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2312

Contact Admins Sarna.net