1 Rotary AC/2 LA 1 3 8.00
--------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS: 24 59 90.00
Crits & Tons Left: 19 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 8,449,300 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 1,960 (old BV = 1,684)
Cost per BV2: 4,310.87
Weapon Value: 2,398 / 2,398 (Ratio = 1.22 / 1.22)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 49; MRDmg = 32; LRDmg = 6
BattleForce2: MP: 3, Armor/Structure: 7/7
Damage PB/M/L: 7/6/2, Overheat: 0
Class: MA; Point Value: 20

--- Notes:

- The Gattler is a 90-Ton Assault-class BattleMech that utilizes a pair of RAC/5s and a pair of RAC/2s to provide a withering hail of fire against those who would stand against it. It is fairly slow, but reasonably well protected, with notable weak points in the Head and rear arcs of the 'Mech. Four tons of ammo feed the RAC/5s, while two tons of ammo feed the RAC/2s. The Gattler is built with very basic components outside of it's Rotary Autocannons, easing repairs. The Gattler's weapon systems are also all arm mounted, meaning that the 'Mech can end up being quite literally, "disarmed". Otherwise, the Gattler is somewhat lightly armed among Assault 'Mechs, but a solid choice regardless.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
ghostrider
11/01/19 04:14 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Interesting concept but if you lose arms, run out of ammo, or have an ammo explosion, this is a big, slow target.
I understand there isn't room for any changes, but some mls would be a good idea, and even that isn't much back up.

Cost, and most people hate XL engines, but that might be the way to go with this mech. Give you some weight to do a little more.
Another possible thing is drop the extra sinks. It may run hot at times, but not firing them all at full speed, or even leaving one canon out for a turn would suffice.
The to hit numbers as well as shots hit, might be an issue as well.
Still. The potential damage might make this a workable mech.
Karagin
11/01/19 02:25 PM

Okay to me this mech seems to be the "Hey we can fix the Rifleman" idea thing that comes along all the time, now nothing wrong with that, just it's been over done. Like WAY over done. Like over done to the point Luke is asking if the burnt and chard corpse is Aunt Beau or Uncle Owen.

I see this as doing to things, AAA (aka Flak) duty or Fire Suppression aka unloading on the enemy to keep them focused on you and not the other mechs flanking them. On paper and theory this sounds should work great, however in the board game not so well. I have no idea about myriad computer games and how this would work given that NOT A SINGLE COMPUTER GAME version of Battletech actually follows the rules of the game, I wouldn't trust or consider those as a valid source for the figuring out what the mech can or can not do.

We would need to see what folks report on if they use it in their games and how it performs or doesn't.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
happyguy49
11/01/19 08:49 PM

I kind of like this one, it's like a heavier better armored Jagermech. Of course I would fiddle with it; I think it needs some more ammunition. Since you have plenty of crits to spare use endo steel, it doesn't add much to the cost and gives you a few more tons to work with. So would an XL gyro, (two center torso crits) which you should use anyway, as the BIGGEST WORST FLAW of this design is you have AMMUNITION IN THE CENTER TORSO!! That is a big no-no!

Put all ammunition in the arms or side torsos. Add CASE and you can have an ammo explosion that won't destroy this mech due to the nice compact Standard engine.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
11/02/19 01:51 AM

@happyguy49

--- Feel free to tinker with it all you want! I always try to place ammo in a, erm, "sensible" location. I think about how the ammo gets from the place it's being stored to the weapon it's going to be fired from. So that influences most of my designs. (Most.) I wanted to keep costs down too, as well as keeping repair / replacement / resupply simple. The RACs and their ammo are the most exotic / advanced equipment on the Gattler. So, yeah, fell free to tinker away I'm always the happiest when people get inspired by my designs. Some Thunderbolt 15 Swayback I made a while back inspired someone to stuff an Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle into a Hunchback. It was awesome!
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
11/02/19 02:05 AM

@Karagin

--- I haven't been around enough to know that people tried to "fix" the Rifleman, much less tried to design entire 'Mechs to do that. I frankly love the Rifleman, and "fixing" it is a matter of adding Double Heat Sinks. This 'Mech was no such attempt. I haven't played enough to know if this will work well or not, but I did not intend for it to fulfill any sort of Anti-Air role or Fire Suppression. RACs, as I understand it, can be un-jammed mid-fight: with four of them that means the Gattler will always be shooting at something with them. Hence the low ammo count, when you factor in the potential jams and the rationing of your fire rate you have plenty of ammo. This is a stand up and fight 'Mech designed to overcome foes with a withering barrage of dakka, it's also meant as less of a "good" unit and more of a "fun" unit.

P.S. I've attached a .zip with three AA 'Mechs of my own design, one of which is here on the Sarna forums, in .hmp format. These, especially the Aethersprite are my re-designs of the Rifleman. You're right though, I've done it to death. Attachment (85 downloads)

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (11/02/19 02:05 AM)
Karagin
11/02/19 11:07 AM

The Rifleman is a good concept, but at 60 tons and the weapon choices...it fails to be able to successfully DO that concept. So what has happen is folks have increase the weight for armor, or have added DHS or Ferro or Endo or an XL engine or......not saying the mech is bad that you came up with but I am saying it does appear to be a Rifleman clone that is in a way improving on that frame base.

Like I said fire suppression or AAA duty and this one will be murder on things like VTOLs.
Karagin

Retry
11/02/19 09:05 PM

Nope, not seeing a Rifleman clone anywhere. Looks like a JM6-S pilot's fever dream.

The IS RACs aren't going to do much in AAA or VTOLs (the Warrior specifically can fly circles around one with ease), but it's an interesting design nonetheless.
Karagin
11/03/19 10:29 AM

Quote:
Nope, not seeing a Rifleman clone anywhere. Looks like a JM6-S pilot's fever dream.

The IS RACs aren't going to do much in AAA or VTOLs (the Warrior specifically can fly circles around one with ease), but it's an interesting design nonetheless.

Maybe you should stop playing MegaMek and stick to the table top game.
Karagin

Retry
11/03/19 12:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe you should stop playing MegaMek and stick to the table top game.

I gladly will, if you pay for my regular trips to California to meet up with my regular group in person.

I apologize that our solution to my geographic constraints bothers you so much, but I think we'll both be happier if we stay in our lanes.
ghostrider
11/03/19 11:21 PM

I would think the idea of a Rifleman clone comes from it being the better known AC carrier in the game.
Yes the Large Lasers are there, and for some, the Jagermech is not popular or even liked. No offense to those that love the Jagermech. Most I deal with think the original is pretty worthless. The light damage by the canons being the main reason. They prefer mechs like the Crusader and Catapult over it. Even lighter mechs like the Phoenix Hawk and Griffin are preferred to it.
The RiflemanIIC doesn't have the ac's, but the tc with pulse lasers makes it very dangerous once it gets into range of the clan pulse lasers.
The other mech that would be closer to the weight of the Gattler, that isn't mentioned is the Annihilator.

This might be a decent militia or second line mech. Which might be why it seems a little weak. Most people seem to want the in your face damage in the heavy and assault mechs. The only issue I might have with this being a militia mech is the lack of articulated hands. For some stupid reason, I think that is a selling point to militia. The ability to use it for more then patrols or combat.
I need to look up the rotary weapons rules as I don't have them, and not sure of ammo consumption with those canons. Leads me to think the ammo stores are a little light, though that may not be the case.
And yes. I tend to run full barrel with canons when I can. So full volleys tend to be it.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
11/04/19 02:00 AM

@Retry

--- When does your group meet for MegaMek? I've not been able to convince my D&D group to play yet, and would be interested in playing. I have also not invested in minis... or anything else for that matter, so MegaMek would suit me for getting started. I'm also effectively brand new to BatttleTech, but I'm a quick study.

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (11/04/19 02:00 AM)
Retry
11/09/19 02:10 PM

Quote:
@Retry

--- When does your group meet for MegaMek? I've not been able to convince my D&D group to play yet, and would be interested in playing. I have also not invested in minis... or anything else for that matter, so MegaMek would suit me for getting started. I'm also effectively brand new to BatttleTech, but I'm a quick study.

Fairly irregularly, unfortunately. Usually late nights during the weekend, but that's not always Megamek as we've got a diverse range of tastes.

I presume you're much more interested in getting to try it out on a much more regular basis. In which case, might I suggest checking out one of the Mekwars servers? They're usually themed for a certain era (Jihad, 3025, Star League, etc), and you can often find someone to play a match with.

Here's the 3025 one for instance
https://www.mekwars.org/

Here's the Star League one
https://npettinato88.wixsite.com/mekwars-dominion

This is all I can find on the Jihad one. The homepage is not as flashy.
http://mekwarslegends.freeforums.net/
AmaroqStarwind
12/29/19 08:18 PM

I think prioritizing armor placement on the rear torso instead of the front would be a smart idea: A majority of mechs focus their armor placement on the front torso. This would give people a bit of a surprise if they try to attack it from the rear, and give the pilot plenty of time to turn around and make the would-be flankers regret their strategy. I also recommend going with a Small Cockpit to make room for a Medium Laser.

If you'd like to play with Design Quirks, I'd suggest the following:
- Improved Cooling Jacket, x4: Reduces the heat output of each gun by 1 point, but can only be applied once per weapon. This makes a 4 point heat reduction in total. Costs 4 Quirk points.
- Combat Computer: Modifications to the Fire Control System allow it to more easily maintain its heat levels, lowering total heat output in each turn by four points. The mech cannot produce less than 0 heat in a single turn. Costs 3 Quirk points.
- Easy to Maintain: Reduces the difficulty in repairing the mech. Costs... I forgot how many Quirk points.
- Ubiquitous: Replacement parts are super easy to find. Not sure how many Quirk points it costs.
I would also suggest some negative quirks to balance these out, but they're all pretty bad, and many canon designs using Design Quirks don't balance their Quirk points either.

And if you want to go with any custom components...
- Anti-Spalling Buffer: Weighs 0.25 metric tons, and occupies 4 critical slots (can be distributed across different locations). Does precisely nothing except soak up critical hits. If the mech's heat level gets too high though, then it may catch fire if it hasn't already been destroyed. NOTE: I did not come up with this item, and the guy who originally did made zero mention of CASE in the proposed gameplay and construction rules.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (12/29/19 08:21 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4452

Contact Admins Sarna.net