Archer vs. Bombardier - advanced what?

Pages: 1
BFBeast666
11/23/19 10:19 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I don't want to incite any flame wars and I'm aware I'm more than 20 years too late to the complaints party, but what exactly went wrong when FASA designed TRO 2750? The 'Mechs and most vehicles featured show precious little in the way of the things possible in Humanity's Golden Age of Technology. Why not put an XL reactor into the Hussar and armor him with more than a thin veil of Kleenex?

My biggest pet peeve was and is the Bombardier. Touted as an improvement on the Archer, what exactly did that thing improve? It's slightly faster and has double sinks. Woop-te-doo. In exchange we get less armor, less ammo per LRM launcher and the single backup weapon is now ammo-dependant too? And the lore section cripples the machine even more, telling us that they used proprietary ammo with no way of switching to the same LRMs ALL other mechs used? That's pretty stupid, especially considering we're talking Golden Age of Tech and all that. A simple Archer with double heat sinks would outlast and outgun the high-tech Bombardier.

Maybe the resident experts care to shed a little light on the situation. I get game balance. But apart from a few really strong designs like the Thug (no ER PPCs?) most of the machines in TRO 2750 don't even outclass the supposedly inferior 3025 machines. And when you sprinkle a bit of Lostech back into the 3025 designs, the machines from the Golden Age are outright unappealing.

What am I missing?

Edited by BFBeast666 (11/24/19 10:01 AM)
ghostrider
11/24/19 01:07 AM

I think the TRO 2750 was garbage myself with tech. Why the hell would they not load up League mechs will all the whistles and bells they could?
Cost is what the main response would be, but you are talking about keeping those mechs ahead of the successor states.

But part of the fluff is the fact that describing a mech as a piece of garbage compared to the unit it was meant to replace, makes people feel they wasted their money.
Another thing is the game developers seemed to want to make relatively weak units for players to fight against.
Other then this, the mindset would be, these units were the commercial sales units to the houses, while the League mechs were even better. Weak concept, yes. But it does fit in with the whole TRO concept.

And the fact that the TROs don't run the high tech in the 'inferior' units is kind of annoying. What was the locust like during the League? Did it have an xl engine, or streak launchers instead of the ml and mgs? Maybe had an erll with double sinks? The downgraded mechs are annoying when the League mechs aren't show on how they were better.

In the end, I agree. Most of the 2750 units were crap compared to what they should have been.
CrayModerator
11/25/19 06:35 PM

Quote:
I think the TRO 2750 was garbage myself with tech. Why the hell would they not load up League mechs will all the whistles and bells they could?

In publishing terms, TR:2750 was when all that tech was introduced. None of the writers for the book had really played with that tech before, nor was there a big beta testing reviewing group, either. The "Royal" 'Mechs published much later are closer to how the Star League's elite units would look.

Quote:
Cost is what the main response would be, but you are talking about keeping those mechs ahead of the successor states.

The Star League 'Mechs with the really good toys were the Royal units, the ex-Hegemony forces. TR:2750 didn't have those.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2500

Contact Admins Sarna.net