Gun Cluster

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
12/30/19 05:26 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Weight: Between 0.25 to 1.5 metric tons, depending on what you put in it.
Critical Slots: Minimum of 1, no more than 2.
Heat, Damage and Range: Varies
Rules Level: Experimental
Era: Any
Technology Rating: Varies

The "Gun Cluster" is a development intended for Light and Ultralight battlemechs. It simply takes multiple small weapons (like Small Lasers, Machineguns, Flamers, Rocket Launchers, etc) and packs them into a smaller space. There are some rules, though;
- The weapons must all be of the same technology base.
- Each weapon may only occupy one critical slot or space slot on its own.
- You cannot put heat sinks in there. Sorry.
- You cannot stick more than four weapons on there, and the total mass must not exceed 1.5 metric tons.
- If the same weapon is available for both BattleMechs and Powered Armor, use the lighter version.
- Total mass for the Gun Cluster is initially calculated in kilograms for all internal components, then rounded up to the quarter-ton for the final weight.
- Because it occupies only one critical slot, if it is destroyed then all weapons contained within are also destroyed.
- You cannot put Armored Components inside of a Gun Cluster, but you can armor the entire Gun Cluster.
- Energy weapons inside of a Gun Cluster will produce more heat than normal because it has fewer places to go.
- If you put different ammunition-based weapons inside of a Gun Cluster, they must get their ammunition from separate pools.

This component is inspired by Robotech RPG. A similar component called a Tool Cluster is available for Industrial mechs.

If you have any suggestions to improve this concept, for balance or for simplicity, let me know. Also feel free to share your designs if you happen to use it. Remember that you can put *almost* anything you want in there.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
georgiawesley
04/27/20 07:46 AM

Post deleted by Cray
happyguy49
04/28/20 03:16 AM

-this would break the crit location system as is, unless you put in a number of restrictions. otherwise you'll have chuckleheads putting like four ER PPCs in a cluster taking up one crit, etc.
-I would specify that only weapons that currently already take up only one crit are eligible to be in a cluster. also you should exclude all types of medium lasers, and i think all missiles should also be ruled out.
-this would only allow machineguns, flamers, small lasers, AP gauss rifles and magshot... i think missiles should be excluded also, but maybe allow mech mortar 2?
-if you're thinking of the clusters that the Excalibur and Gladiator Destroids had, that should about do it. they had IIRC a .50 cal MG, a flamethrower, a grenade launcher, and a light laser in a cluster.
-crit rules should be something like, maximum of five weapons, takes up crits equal to total number of crits normally, divided by two, rounded down to the nearest one. i.e. clusters of 1-3 weapons take up one crit, clusters of 4-5 take up two.

This could still break the game, one could do something like cover your mech with clusters of a hundred LMG's or 50 AP Gauss rifles with targeting comps. Perhaps set a limit of clusters? Maybe this...

-a mech can have a maximum of three clusters, one per each torso location. that could prevent abuse like the above case.
ghostrider
04/28/20 12:54 PM

The initial posts already says the weapons can only take one crit to begin with. As well as a weight can not exceed 1.5 metric tons, though this is not saying per weapons or for the whole cluster. Sounds like the whole cluster, but would like a ruling on it.

I get the feeling this is like a partial turret on a mech. Maybe not allow the full arcs.
But there is a few questions that comes to mind. First off, ammo. Having the mgs/ap gauss means you need some. Are you limited to say 4 shots per each ammo dependent weapon? Or do you have ammo belts feeding into the unit?
I was going to ask if hand held or built on, but the need for heat sinks from sls means if hand held, it could only be ejected, not picked up without having break away power/coolant lines.
Speaking of firing arcs, it is a full turret type, or just a limited type, as in say just torso arc?
Armor coverage. Does it have it's own armor factor? Or does it use the armor from the location it is part of, meaning hand held isn't likely.
Ammo ejection rules if ammo is within unit. Eject whole pod, or just allow normal ammo dump?

Edited by ghostrider (04/28/20 12:55 PM)
AmaroqStarwind
10/04/21 05:50 PM

Sorry for not replying sooner. I forgot all about this thread...

- The total mass restriction is for the entire gun cluster.
- When using Armored Components on your vehicle or mech, you need to treat the entire gun cluster as a single component. This is done for the sake of simplicity. The extra weight cost of using Armored Components is not counted towards the 1.5 metric ton mass limit.
- Individual weapons within the cluster must track their ammunition consumption separately. You also, for obvious reasons, cannot store ammunition inside the gun cluster itself. (But I do suppose you could eject the entire pod during an ammo dump.)
- I might add an internal Space Slots thing for the gun cluster itself, for balance reasons.
- I might also need to add an initial weight cost for the gun cluster itself.
- Armor factor... I'll need to figure that out later. I assumed when I initially started this thread that it would always be part of the mech itself. A handheld version would probably be called a Gun Pod, rather than a Gun Cluster.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (10/04/21 06:40 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5659

Contact Admins Sarna.net