1 Sniper Cannon LT 10 10 15.00
--------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS: 20 62 70.00
Crits & Tons Left: 16 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 14,487,174 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 1,030 (old BV = 854)
Cost per BV2: 14,065.22
Weapon Value: 784 / 784 (Ratio = .76 / .76)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 17; MRDmg = 7; LRDmg = 0
BattleForce2: MP: 4, Armor/Structure: 5/3
Damage PB/M/L: 3/2/-, Overheat: 0
Class: MH; Point Value: 10

--- I built this one for fun. The Torso-Mounted cockpit is a terrible component, but I liked the mental image of being in the belly of a great big 'Mech with great big cannons emitting great big roars as they fired. However, I also liked the idea of having SOME semblance of sanity to it. So it is 70-Tons and relatively affordable.

--- Likewise the two Sniper Cannons are fed by two tons of ammo apiece, which is pretty good for artillery. Hand Actuators mean it is isn't totally helpless when the ammo runs out. I also liked the idea of punching someone in their big metal face once the cannons ran dry. This is definitely more of a "Cool Factor" 'Mech than a practical one.

--- The XL Engine is still a liability, and definitely quite expensive. However, 4/6 is pretty damn mobile for a 70-Tonner. and 11 Double Heat Sinks means you can fire those cannons at a run and never generate any heat. 13 tons of standard armor and a standard chassis make this 'mech somewhat reasonable to repair... assuming you don't lose the XL Engine that is.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
ghostrider
01/01/20 01:24 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Being mainly artillery, the XL should really be that much of a liability. You should not be standing next to the Hunchbacks in the front lines.

I think mechs should have hand actuators when they can. Gives you the ability to use the mech for hauling and moving things, besides being able to punch other mechs in their big metal faces.

But there is a question with the torso mounted cockpit. Which torso is it actually located in? 12 crits in side torsos and with 2 taken by XL engine, and the other 10 by the Snipers, something doesn't seem right. The Center only has 2 open slots, so the 6 crit needing cockpit doesn't fit. Almost said something about the ammo in the head, but the cockpit being moved would free up the crits.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
01/01/20 04:48 PM

2x Sensor Crits in the Head.

1x Life Support Crit in each Side-Torso.

1x Cockpit and Sensor Crit in the Side-Torso.

Sniper Cannons split up with 2 crits in the Legs and the rest in the Side-Torso.
ghostrider
01/01/20 04:55 PM

Didn't know you could split the crits for the cockpit, and the leg crits for the Snipers isn't listed.

Thanks for explaining this to me.

It does bite that the IS doesn't have a case unit that takes no crits like the clans. But then 3055 would be too soon for it.

The lack of a backup weapon isn't great, but not much can be done about that. Unless you strip some armor, or slow it down. Neither is a really good idea.
Maurer
01/01/20 10:27 PM

I could never see the appeal of putting artillery on a mech, let alone two, other then for coolness factor. As pretty much everyone agrees, artillery is best used from the rear and not really needed on a mech when a vehicle could do it as well or air power was available.. The only advantage to putting it on a mech is mobility over difficult rugged, hilly, or forested terrain.

Likewise, I also imagine artillary mechs are not as common as other support fire mechs and one would see more PPCs, ACs, and missile mechs the arty mechs. I would probably perfer a lighter design like my Nashorn mixed in with more traditional designs.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
01/01/20 11:11 PM

I looked at the Nashorn and Nashorn II, I think I would prefer the Hellhog or the Mattock found Here over them. Quads are really nice if forced into direct fire combat, which Arrow IVs are great at. They can also assume a hull down position, so the Hellhog can lob indirect fire from a protected position, or advance with a combined arms force... albeit quite slowly.

This is strictly a "Rule of Cool" design. Since the Torso-Mounted Cockpit is a product of the Solaris games, there is a good reason for this 'Mech to actually exist in canon as a "Rule of Cool" design. Likewise, with the Clan Invasion halted only three years prior and the MRCB officially formalized just one year prior, a few Heavybacks could have found their way into House armies hurting for reinforcements or Mercenary Units looking to take on enterprising gladiators.

Typically though if I wanted practical artillery, I'd just field vehicles like This, or if I wanted something more gimmick-y, but still practical, then This. If I wanted a "Rule of Cool" vehicle, on the other hand, I'd field the Thunder House. If I was feeling especially saucy, I'd take out this old thing Here. I just realized that I never posted my Hobart. It is very similar to the Nashorn, not just in role, but in weight and the fact that it was inspired by WWII. Namely "Hobart's Funnies".

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (01/01/20 11:11 PM)
Karagin
01/02/20 01:02 AM

I can see this one in use sure, but not in the line fighting. More of okay the enemy isn't giving up, hey let's bring up the artillery mechs and let's get this over with.

Second-line mech for sure, still in the fight but not slugging it out with the actual mechs. Able to move over terrain and such better than vehicles can.

Drawbacks would be cost, the XL engine and knowing when to deploy vs. not deploying these mechs.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2840

Contact Admins Sarna.net