1 C.A.S.E. Equipment Body 1 .50
--------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS: 0 16 200.00
Items & Tons Left: 29 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 16,084,444 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 2,181 (old BV = 1,518)
Cost per BV: 7,374.8
Weapon Value: 1,730 / 1,730 (Ratio = .79 / .79)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 71; MRDmg = 70; LRDmg = 70
BattleForce2: MP: 1T, Armor/Structure: 0 / 15
Damage PB/M/L: 6/6/12, Overheat: 0
Class: GA; Point Value: 22
Specials: tag, artA

--- It's a pretty straightforward design really, one TAG system mounted in the second turret alongside two machine guns let's it bring it's massive batteries to bear in the direct fire role if it's position is threatened. A single AMS mounted in the forward arc and fed by a ton of ammo helps a little against counter-battery fire. Six Arrow IV launchers fed by twelve tons of ammoprovide the main killing power. Seventeen tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor protection is further augemented by the inclusion of CASE. The vehicle is very, very, very slow...

--- Of Note: The Firestorm costs as less than the Arrow IV equipped variant of the Longbow, while providing three times the firepower. It is much slower than the Longbow however...
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
Karagin
01/05/20 11:43 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
It's too slow, even for artillery, all of the Ferro and CASE is wasted since this thing will be abandoned once the front line breaks and it will break. Plus it's limited on what Dropships can carry it, so yes, it's going to be left behind when the Inner Sphere forces depart the planet after the Clans beat them. Sorry but it's not something we would see the Inner Sphere, well maybe the CapCon, wasting reasouces on.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
01/23/20 06:47 AM

--- Karagin, with regards to the Dropship issues... couldn't you just stick it in a Cargo Bay? Some of these Dropships have like 1,000 Ton+ Cargo Bays, and you mean to tell me they can't stick a 200 Ton vehicle or two in 'em? Two of these is basically two battalions (16 tubes) of artillery... I find that hard to believe. As for the speed issues... I'm gonna go ahead and make a Fusion Powered model for funsies, that should let me bring the speed up to about 2/3.

--- I still think someone in the Inner Sphere would use this. If the Hegemony will transport a Wayland Mobile Base and the Fed Suns will make the Destrider Siege Vehicle (both super heavies) then someone would probably build a big **** Arrow IV launcher. Especially since both of those are fusion powered and this one is ICE. My bet is on the Kuritans... they love those Arrow IVs.

EDIT: Correction, a battery is six tubes of towed howitzer by US standards while a Self-Propelled is eight. Therefore two of these constitutes two full self propelled batteries and one of 'em is equivalent to a single towed battery.

DOUBLE EDIT: Scratch that, a Fusion engine takes it up to 24 million+ C-Bills, and only saves four tons. going to 2/3 puts it over by 62.5. Even a 2/3 with XXL is still 9.5 tons over. ICE it is then...
"Woad Raider, kill things today."

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (01/23/20 06:54 AM)
Karagin
01/23/20 08:18 AM

Yes, you could put it in a dropship, but at the same point, it's not much faster. And the super heavy vehicles you mention, HOW many do they have?

Tube artillery is easier to move around and if it's taken out, well you are already in a world of hurt, plus those guns being replaced are far easier and cheaper then a 16 million dollar vehicle.
Karagin

ATN082268
01/25/20 10:42 PM

I like the design. Vehicle Arrow artillery is far less vulnerable than open field guns especially when the fight gets closer (on board). Sure, units like this one doesn't have the speed to get away but a lot of other heavy units are in the same boat too. If you keep the ICE, then I would probably dump the 2nd turret and TAG (putting the MGs in sponson turrets) for more Arrow ammo. Using a fusion engine and/or heavy Ferro fibrous would free up more tonnage which I would probably use for even more Arrow ammo to further increase its endurance. Production rates seem to be more of an issue with the great houses/Clans than cost.
ghostrider
01/26/20 12:22 AM

Not a fan of the super heavies, but hardened armor might be better. Cuts down on the crits.

And putting these into cargo bays means pulling it apart and rebuilding them. But if you got the time, then it isn't an issue.

Also, isn't turret weight 1/10 of weapon weight?
So 102 tons for the Arrow launchers would be 10.2 tons for the turret, not 9.5. And that isn't including the second turret.
Typo, or issue with the program used to make this?
If the ammo is in the wrong location, that might explain the differences.

Edited by ghostrider (01/26/20 12:23 AM)
Maurer
01/26/20 12:44 AM

I can't see much use for something like this or then as a defensive action against an attack or an offensive ambush. It is just way too slow and short ranged to keep up with a moving battle. If you were to remove the Arrow IV for long toms, I could see it being more useful. Longer range, if it even moves at the same pace.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
Karagin
01/26/20 11:25 PM

We have had several super heavies posted here that were noting more then crawling pillboxes.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2900

Contact Admins Sarna.net