Alternate Histories created by Gamers - why?

Pages: 1
Requiem
02/13/20 04:19 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:
it seems you want the developers to stop making any background stories for the game. Demand they spell out everything that happens. Then complain that they don't allow the GM's to alter the game as they want for their players.

Why create them? The existing Canon Stories are just not that exiting for you?

As a gamer you find the current history limiting what you can / cannot do
For me this is one of the major reasons why I post Alt Histories. Consider some of the new suggestions I have brought to for:-

Canon – we only have front line wars between the IS and Clans ….Boring ….
This war needs to be more exiting:- as such … it needs to spiced up ….so add in new units and new roles such as ….
Fenrir Forces – Creating a small highly mobile force that engages the Clan’s Logistics within the Deep Periphery
Commando Forces – Creating Units to attack worlds Garrisoned by Clan forces in their rear.
Allow your units to capture clan tech as well as clan techs – go through educating them into how an IS person lives in comparison to a Clansman now and then (RPG) – this can get interesting and fun.
Plus it allows me to introduce new ideas – My PT dropship attack craft / Big Wing formations to engage Clan Warships.

As a gamer you find the cannon history favoring one side at the expense of another (ie. it is becoming too unrealistic) and you feel the need to correct it – you make assumptions – you change the history to what you want – as you don’t have to stay on script always as this just makes the IS Backdrop boring and predictable ….
Such as,
War of 3039 – as discussed previously this doesn’t make any sense
Big MAC attack during the 4th SW was written in a manner that makes no sense
What is called the “Year of Peace” should have been called “The Year of Preparation”
Post Clan Wolf / Falcon War – why didn’t the LA attack? Why were both of these Clans allowed to reap more forces and to bring them back to strength without a trial of absorption – why were the Wolves allowed to reap the Jaguars and yet the DC did not attack?
Huntress and the technology issue
Turtle Bay and the no retaliatory strike by the DC
The 15 years of truce and the IS does nothing to prepare for when the Clans will resume the war
The Idea that Katherine would kill her Mother is completely ludicrous – she didn’t need to – she only needed to kill Victor.
The Idea that Thomas could survive a Blast in an enclosed brick room - has no one ever considered what a pressure wave does in a room like this?

As a gamer you find the Canon histories assumptions not been utilized to their full
Core Cannon Assumption – the loss of technology and the destruction of the TH due to the Amaris Civil War / 1st SW.
So why not create a unit that hunts down technology and brings everything they find back to help your realm – we had a TRO with Star League era Mechs and yet we are not allowed to use them in 3025? Plus there are many other interesting things out there – Consider the Star League Libraries (as noted under sarna Star League sub section Departments) there are supposed to be thousands of them – were they all destroyed – did ComStar get to them first?

When Camelot Command was found – why was there never an adventure pack like Wolcott for this site?
Striking out at Clan held worlds;
Defending it against Clan strikes;
Using it as a forward base for your Fenrir forces (as noted above)

As a gamer don’t you want to personalize your realm just a little?
I know I have – in my realm I have turned the Moon above Skye into its own world “Argyll” and it has Sanglamore Academy – Air division as well as a fortress Brian and many other interesting facts – such as it is ruled by the McEvedy Clan – yes that McEvedy!

As a gamer don’t you want your own Universe right from the get go that changes a major point in history and you just want take it from there?
Such as my new history for example where the Exodus never happens – the 1st SW is put back by 200 odd years – you now have the Star League Peacekeeping Force as well as White and Black Hat Mercenaries - to which I have introduced many new scenarios for your group to consider that may prove very interesting going forward.
Plus it gives you more technology!

Canon is OK but the changes I have created allow me (and those with me) to expand upon the Canon and it gives us a greater sense of fun in the game. And I wish to share my ideas – if you don’t like them then just ignore my posts – if you do I hope you have a great deal of fun playing with these new scenarios.

Plus you don’t have to get official approval if this is a game in your own home.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Karagin
02/13/20 09:05 PM

Let me see if I am following your logic; you want everything spelled out for you, ALL of the background stuff there on a silver plater with gold trim and nothing left out at all, no matter how tiny or minuscule. And if you don't get that, then the game is wrong, and thus you must have an alternate version that somehow is automatically better because you say so?

I have pointed out that they did give up an alternate setting to play with call Empire in Flames, you tell us Nah fam that's not my thing and then turn around come up with similar settings and ideas.

The basic Battletech game is about taking a mech sheet, some dice, a miniature (cardboard or plastic or metal or what ever), and moving it around on a map rolling the dice and marking the damage and having fun. Everything else is fluff; either you like it or you don't. Nothing says you have to follow it, use it, or even acknowledge it exists. I have played against folks who refuse to use anything beyond the tech in TRO3025 (original) and some that only allow the SL tech from the TRO2750 and that's it. Others I know have taken Clan mechs and made Inner Sphere version because they don't want to play in that setting, and they only use new TRO mechs etc...that have the tech levels they want. Simple enough for them, plus it's fun.

I am not thrilled about the whole Jihad crap and the ROTS, so I ignore it, and did my things for what happen how a new Terran power comes out of the mess, my group is happy cause again the background is fluff and we are there to have fun. I also have my setting that uses the BT rules and combat settings and has all kinds of home tech and homemade groups, including those dreaded and hated, aliens, though we did recently have one group of them get wiped out a long story.

There are a lot of ways to get things you want out of the game, but to say that everything has to be spelled out is not it. The idea that something isn't fleshed out is part of the fun. The popularity of the Wolverines or the as they were known once as the Minnesota Tribe, was the mystery of who they were, were they the SLDF or something else? Folks could use that for their games, be it the battle side or the RPG side. Same for all the other items. Then as the universe grew, TPTB did fill in the mysteries, we found out some stuff was ComStar or the Clans. Didn't mean the game's fun ended, it meant that something had finally gotten an answer. I am willing to bet, that most folks were using ComStar as the source for all the oddities in the game given that everything we read is information they give us or has passed through their hands at one point or another.

And while it's fun to speculate about what if this or what if that or could this be possible if...the fun part is entertaining ALL ideas, not just your own.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Requiem
02/13/20 09:42 PM

Quote:
Let me see if I am following your logic; you want everything spelled out for you, ALL of the background stuff there on a silver plater with gold trim and nothing left out at all, no matter how tiny or minuscule. And if you don't get that, then the game is wrong, and thus you must have an alternate version that somehow is automatically better because you say so?

Levity and flippancy?

I must say I enjoy it when others determine what I said, when I never said it to begin with.

Quote:
….. Empire in Flames,….

One “Halloween Special” book released in 2014, that’s it …..? and it is called Empire Aflame ….

With you own mind you can create an unlimited amount of settings! Why must I be limited to another person’s setting?

Quote:
The basic Battletech game is about taking a mech sheet, some dice, a miniature (cardboard or plastic or metal or what ever), and moving it around on a map rolling the dice and marking the damage and having fun. Everything else is fluff ….

Then why create MechWarrior: The Battletech Role Playing Game?

Quote:
And while it's fun to speculate about what if this or what if that or could this be possible if...the fun part is entertaining ALL ideas, not just your own.

So, it is Ok if I create a hypothesis, and then others criticize what is written, but then when I put forward my view as to why I believe I created what I did or attempt to find any flaws in my thinking through a discussion that is also forbidden. I just have to accept the criticism and make no reply?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Karagin
02/14/20 09:19 AM

No Requiem, you have been critical of everything; you have told us all about how the story is lacking in detail, how nothing in the BT universe is covered or explained in full details. You have done this repeatedly.

Again I point out Empire Aflames as a setting you could use since it keeps everything IN the Inner Sphere and avoids a lot of the oddities you have been complaining about. And again, your response, why should you bother, well so again, as I have asked before, why not come up with your game universe? Folks have done with the HORIZON WARS, they wanted a multisystem game setting for different scales and universes that could be combined to allow all Mecha bases games to fight it out. Pretty cool system and background, plus it's really a rule set, you build the rest. Then there is the tried and tested and well-known GRUPS from Steve Jackson Games that would give you all you need to for setting up your stuff.

The MW RPG came about because the game came out in the 80s, and the cool thing was to have an RPG system. There were so many RPGs out from the late 70s to the 2000s that just about everything gaming-wise had an RPG module or book for it. And folks wanted to play IN the setting of the canon universe of Battletech, that is why we have it so that players can do more than fight mechs. Again if the environment is too limited, create your own.

Nothing is forbidden, but you have made your point clear enough, you are not happy with the current settings of the game, this not folks putting words in your mouth, this which based upon YOUR COMMENTS, now if you believe, I or others are mistaken, then feel free to tell us why.

I am also trying to share with you things I have learned while being here on Sarna; folks don't want to hear about the issues with the game settings all the time or problems with the storyline. Trust me, you can read the flame wars in the archives if you want more info. This is free advice.

Now if you want to talk about how Davion should have wiped out House Laio in the 4th War or how it should have shattered like the FWL did post Jihad, then that is something that folks could use for a set of adventures and offer a what if that isn't so critical of the game and the settings. Nothing in this game is perfect. However, the game is still fun and playable within its limits. It also has one feature a lot of other games don't have, you can make mechs and other major game units and not completely break the game, this alone makes Battletech far more fun than other mecha based games.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2048

Contact Admins Sarna.net